1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The best 36" widescreen???

Discussion in 'TVs' started by rik, Nov 6, 2001.

1. rik

rik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Experienced regulars please help!

I am looking to find the best 36" widescreen CRT. I have rounded it down to;

Toshiba 36ZP18,
    Sony KV36 FS70,
    Philips 36PW9525,
    Panasonic TX36PL30.

All I need (as do most people) is the sharpest, most enjoyale picture for watching DVD's and Sky digital.

Has anyone compared them all? If not, any input would be appreciated. We can settle the argument!!!

Thanks in advance,
    Rik

2. EvertonMonkey

EvertonMonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Well I have just purchased the Panasonic 36PL30 and I think that the picture quality is awesome.

Dont pay any more than £1400 delivered though.

3. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +664
    I had a Panasonic PF10 and hated it.

After that, I vowed that I wouldn't buy Panasonic again.

In the end, I bought a Sony KV36FS70 and whilst I am not entirely happy, its clear that all 36" TVs suffer similar problems.

It could be said that I am baised, but after I had the TV for 8 months something happened (its a very long story) and then got a refund!

I was then on the market for a 36" set again.. But after checking out all the current models, I still believe that the Sony is the best of them.

Better still, the original RRP (MRP) of the FS70 was £2500.. Online, you can now get it less than £1800.

4. randallp

randallp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Sony 36 only has one RGB scart.
    And of course it's only Dolby ProLogic

5. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +664
    WHilst I would love a TV with more than 1 RGB Input I have to question whether anyone who is in the market for a TV of this size would have a use for a built in Dolby Digital Decoder.. I am actually very pleased taht the Sony does not have DD.

Surely anyone who is into home cinema enough to buy a TV like this, would already have a DD amp?

The internal componants/circuits needed for a DD de-coder aren't going to be free and would have to be payed for in some way.

The way I look at it is that they must have cut corners in other areas to include DD whilst keeping the price competative.

Whilst this is probably a naive view of the way companies set prices, its just the way I look at things.. I would rather not have Dolby Digital (Which I wouldn't use) but pay the same price. That way I would feel that the bits of the TV I use cost more and therefore would be of better quality.

6. Rathion

Rathion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't currently own a 36" telly BUT whilst looking for some speakers on Saturday I was drawn to the Sony!

A friend and I just stood and looked at it in amazement!

Never seen a picture like it in my life we must have stood for a good five minutes just staring at it!

Perhaps it had just been tweaked and setup properly but no other telly I seen on Saturday came close!
    All I can say is it was phenomenal :eek:

Put it this way I know what I'm saving for these days! :D

7. Dumfy

Dumfy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've owned the Philips 36PW9525 for about a month now and am more than happy with it. DVD images and Sky are superb - with DVD winning hands down over anything anyway. The terrestrial pictures are also good, but not in the same league. I'd guess this is the way for most sets.

:)

8. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,210
    John ,
    Why did you hate your 36pf10? I have one now and i do have some trouble in areas , but i,m not sure if it is with the TV.

Please tell !

Kev

9. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +664
    Kev,

There were a number of faults/dislikes, but its been a long time and I can't remember much about it...

Have a look back at my previous posts from last year.. I wrote loads about my problems.

What problems do you have with your PF10?

10. Tel boy

Tel boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Well you would have noticed the thin black lines that run across the screen then did you, if you can put up with them… buy one.
    Don’t get me wrong Sony’s have their faults as all other TV’s do, but some of them that I have seen lately, the geometry (if that’s the correct term) is all over the place. That combined with the thin black lines (“Tie lines as Sony call them”) ….sorry M8 would give them a miss if I were you.

Tel.

11. randallp

randallp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had the Sony KV36PS70 for 5weeks now. Digital pictures were excellent from DVD. Analog was not so good with faint white 3" wide bands moving left to right. I put this down to antenna and ordered Sky.

The guy in the audio shop (Audio T Southampton - very good lot) asked what TV I had when I was selecting front speakers - he mentioned that the SOny was very prone to magnetic fields. It was - I couldn't actually get rid of a yellow tinted corner all the time the Right speaker (a B&W CM4 floor stander) was within 5 feet of the set.. I decided to live with this tinge tho as the pic was so good.

The Sky chap arrived Tuesday unplugged my DVD from the (only RGB) SCART in the TV and plugged in the Sony digibox in its place. My DVD was stuffed unceremoniously into another of the SCARTs.

Now I have excellent Sky and poor DVD - the difference when not using the RGB is very noticeable.I can swap the plugs and get excellent DVD back but then the Sky is all mushy again and I get the white bands... Maybe something is common in the non-RGB circuits.

When I was checking TV specs I didn't realise that 3 SCARTs isn't the only thing to look for - that said I can't see many 36" TVs that have multiple RGBs.

Sky also revealed how bad the tint was - text boxes were yellow - very noticeable - called out the repair guy who said the tube was faulty. I'm now trying to get the set changed as the combination of problems has me twitched. A lot of money for imperfections..

FWIW
    Pat

12. rik

rik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Firstly a great thankyou to all those who have replied so far, I am slowly forming an opinion!!!

Please continue adding your exeriences as I am very interested

Has anyone got any info an the Panasonic 36PL30?

I have the Panasonic catalogue and it seems that the only picture difference between it and the (much hated) 36PG50 is that the new 36PL30 has no motion estimation. Is this a good thing?

Thanks again,
    Rik

13. randallp

randallp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  14. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had a Panasonic TX36PL30 for about 3 weeks now and I think it is superb (I see rjg2, further up the thread, agrees too).
    Basically a stripped out 36PB50, it has 3 Scarts, two of which are RGB, but no component inputs. Picture from DVD and digital cable is stunning. Heard some bad things about the PG series, but I have only got praise for this TV.
    And at £1367 (+ del) from Empire Direct, it was the cheapest current model 36" TV I could find.

15. randallp

randallp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, got a Panasonic TX-36PB50 to replace the Sony KV36FS70. The coloration from the magnetic fields of my (B&W) front speakers is entirely absent so that's a plus.

The top of the picture curves down a little (I think that's called keystoning) and the engineer called today to take a look. He's coming back with a pattern generator to try to adjust.

When watching teletext, there is some convergence problem apparent on the right hand side of the screen - can't notice it (yet) onpictures though. ANyone else have this - is it normal?

It occurred to me that there (surely) must be a test DVD disk available that displys grids and patterns etc... Moving pictures areso difficult to compare. Anyone have one / seen one?

Pat

16. jmckenzie

jmckenzie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i am also looking for a 36'' TV. i had just about decided to go with the panasonic TX-36PB50 when i read above that it is awful. What is wrong with it?
    PB and PG series as far as I can see are the same (just a different stand and speaker type), the Sony is too expensive, the tosh seems poorly built.
    Comments?

17. randallp

randallp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't (yet!) say it's awful. It's good to look at - maybe I'm just being fussy. I'll post back when the engineer has tried to do his stuff.

Apart from the slight curve at the top (the picture is about 2mm shorter at the sides than the centre) it's good to look at.

The two RGB scarts are much better than the one in the Sony KV36.

Pat

18. yakko

yakko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Crockett- how is this set with NTSC discs? some reports describe a "waviness" to the picture. any comments?

Yakko

19. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Well I was about to order one of teh 36" Tosh' sets but having read all the probs about it in the other thread im no longer sure.

I've read several threads about people buying their sets on the net at cheaper prices, where would people reccommend?

20. randallp

randallp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Get it from John Lewis - they price matched from 2295 down to 1795 without a quibble.
    And again on the Sony I sent back actually.
    Impressed with them - includes 5 yr guarantee
    Pat

21. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Did John Lewis do a price match to an Internet quote?

Do all (some models) sony's come with 5yr warrenty or was that an extra from John Lewis?

Best Price I've found so far for the 36" Tosh is £1,695.95 INC of VAT from www.empiredirect.c.uk

22. Darkly

Darkly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  23. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    any idea on how they fare with after sales service?

Particularly since quite a few people seem to have woes with their 36" tosh...

24. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Im really taken with the Tosh set but I just have a slightly niggle if its the best set for me since im not so fussed about the integrated 5.1 DD as I plan to get a seperate amp/speaker setup.

I do love the picture / chasis of this set though.

25. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    #bump#

i guess discussion seem to have dried up on this topic.

26. randallp

randallp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried a post last night but the site seemed stuck.

Does the Toshiba have two RGBs? That was my main reason for going to the Panasonic 36PB after the SOny KV36 - I was really dissapointed that a £2200 TV didn't have these - less after the price matching down to £1700 but enough to send it back to John Lewis.

The Panasonic has DTS/Dolby and extra speakers but I have a big AV setup also. But I don't always switch it on. It's good to have an excellent sound from the inbuilt spkrs and sub.

27. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    which John Lewis store gave you the price match and to whom?

Did they match an internet price?

28. randallp

randallp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Southampton - they match shop prices only

29. MrJubbly

MrJubbly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am also looking around for a 36" TV and, after joining recently, have been reading with interest some of the threads on this board.

Personally I think I will be going for a Panasonic. Either the PB50 or the PL30. I have a reasonable AV set-up so I am leaning towards the PL30. However, after seeing that randallp got his from JLP, with it price matched down to c. £1700 and a 5 year garauntee I could be swayed the other way. Trouble is I don't know of any shops that do the set that cheap to match against. Even Empire Direct don't go that low so I'd be interested to know, randallp, where you saw a PB50 for that amount. :confused:

Cheers

PS Has the PL30 got PIP/POP/PAP/PAT functionality or not? Brochure says not. Nosing around some web sites, adverts say yes.

30. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Randallp - I am close to Southampton and am considering buying the PL or PB. What shop did you get john Lewis to price match against? - or are there any cheap direct suppliers you know of in this area?

Cheers:D