1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The best 36 inch with no artefacts

Discussion in 'TVs' started by dave1892, Aug 16, 2004.

1. dave1892

dave1892

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm having real trouble choosing a 36 inch TV. I find the magazines really don't care much about 36 inch, and when they do, they really concentrate on the latest digital features and how wonderful the picture is.

Well, yes it is, but you don't seem to hear to much of the downside. For example, when I read about Movie Plus in Philips reviews, it gave me the impression that Movie Plus had practically solved the haloing in Pixel Plus. Well, I had a 36pw9618, and I just don't agree.

I heard the Toshiba 36zp38 PF2 is the best picture with no digital artefacts, but that TV has been around quite a while now, and I notice there's a 36zp48 PF3, which appears to have a go at better resolution through digital.

I may be misguided here, as I'm new to this, so what is the best 36 inch picture around (pref with Dolby Digital) that will not annoy me with digital artefacts (or at least keep them to a bare minimum) I'm happy to compromise on resolution just to get a lifelike picture without halos and pixelation. And it's not just switching to 100Hz is it? I tried watching football on the Philips at 100Hz and the ball still juddered across the screen.

Many thanks for any help
    Dave

2. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Dave,

I am an ISF calibration engineer. My training was done on Loewe TVs which has to say something. I have calibrated a number of Philips sets. Before calibration they looked dreadful. Pasty faces, digital artefacts all over the place. After calibration they looked OK, but no more than that. The real surprise has been Toshibas. Pre-calibration not bad - post calibration stunning. I have yet to work on a 32"+ Loewe, maybe even better.

Piers

Home Cinema Engineering

www.homecinemaengineering.com

3. HowieC

HowieC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It begs the question why manufacturers ship sets so badly calibrated, its not as if they don't do any calibration at all.
    Having worked with professional/broadcast kit for years this usually arrives spot-on, so it can be done. But, and this is a big but, pro kit is burnt in for many hours prior to final calibration, the cost of this would be out of the question for domestic kit so the final adjustment includes averaged/guestimated CRT bedding in changes.

4. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    HowieC,

The answer is simple. Manufacturers want their sets to sell. The majority of sets are bought from Curry's / Dixons etc.. They are on display under harsh lighting. The manufacturers set their sets to look good in this environment - they then sell more sets.Get it home and it looks crap. Have it properly calibrated and it looks great.

Calibration takes time. Even if the manufacturers were prepared to try to set up their products properly they couldn't afford to do so. Calibration can also only be properly done in the final location - the room effects the end result.

Piers

Home Cinema Engineering

www,homecinemaengineering.com

5. HowieC

HowieC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Piers,

You are absolutely right of course, you would think manufacturers could supply sets with 'Display' calibration for showroom use and decent calibration for shipping to customers, still we don't want to put you (or me to an extent) out of business.

6. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    The worse the settings are out of the box, the better as far as I am concerned!

Piers

7. HowieC

HowieC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I still think TV manufacturers get away with murder, if car manufacturers sold cars that needed tuning on day one, customers wouldn't put up with it.

Howie

8. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Piers,your not far from me! I've just ordered a Sony HQ100(Bad move?!) This is to replace THREE FS76U's i had (all failed after two months) How much is your calibration service and does it void warranty?? Thanks......Dave.

9. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Reports on the KV36HQ100 are good. Forum rules prohibit me from quoting prices here. You will have PM shortly!

Regards

Piers

10. dave1892

dave1892

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Piers,

Does that mean you think the HQ100 is a really good picture that won't really irritate me with artefacts? Do all these posts mean the ordinary customer like me needs to get calibration too?

For 1500 quid, I never expected so much hassle choosing a decent picture.

Does anyone know whether Toshiba's new digital stuff avoids artefacts?

thanks
    Dave

11. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Dave,

Everyone's expectation of what a TV should deliver differs. Selecting the right model is usually a matter of balancing the amount that you are prepared to pay against what artefacts you are prepared to put up with. Some people hate 100Hz processing, some love it. Well done I like it. Badly done and I hate it.

The KV36HQ100 is a good set. Out of the box it will deliver a good picture but the whole point about ISF calibration is that it can be made better still. Every set that I have worked on has been improved by ISF calibration. How much they are improved depends on how good they were before calibration and how much they are capable of being tweaked.

I have had some spectacular results with the Picture Frame Toshibas and Loewes.

Hope this helps

Piers

12. chris210972

chris210972
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    wow, i have a 36"toshiba picture frame 2 tv and am interested in arranging for a calibration engineer to look at it.
    the picture is quite good but i'd be very happy with any improvements.
    i live in bradford, where do u find these guys and can they be found in the yellow pages?

13. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
  14. cmc

cmc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I find myself in the same position as Dave. I would like to get a 36" set but it seems that every make has people complaining about some major fault!
    I also like the look of the Sony KV36HQ100 but I hear that it has problems when objects move on screen in that you get bad pixellation.

Is there anyone out there who has this model and is happy with it?

Chris

15. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Mine should be delivered this week,the pixilation can be dealt with by changing the 100Hz modes,I'll report back when mine arrives...........

16. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Why don't you just buy a 32inch set and sit closer :laugh:

Most kids I know sit about 2 feet away from the set anyway - it must be like watching Imax!!