Answered The Beatles 1 blu ray

silouette

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Anyone seen this, saw a ITV prog recently with all the hits, but it had a running commentary .
Was hoping this would be just the songs with the "video" footage ?

it is the songs you can select commentaries like a movie
some of the videos look great (4k remastered from film) but the majority are upscales from tv shows

Really want the 1 CD / 2 blu set but don't want to pay £35 for it!!

I'm not a huge Beatles fan but I bought this for a mate last Christmas. I have to say I quite enjoyed it. It has a 5.1 sound option that works surprisingly well.

Bri

I am a fan, and loved it and thought it worth the money, lovely book included makes the value

It's a suoerb bluray especially if you get the special edition with bonus tracks.
A marvellous bonus is seeing them playing revolution live in the studio 1968. By this time Harrison had the yips and couldn't play live anymore so Lennon had to be lead guitar. Camera work tries to hide this as it did on the rooftop gig.
Lennon is superb as he cranks out the solos. It's great the see the Beatles amped up and having fun, if only for a few minutes. The blurb in the booklet has the session completely wrong. Watch and enjoy how they would have been live.
Let's have the full rooftop gig next please.

Good question.
The yips are on stage nerves when the person concerned cannot perform.
One of the biggest examples of the yips was Barbara Streisand.
She overcame them to a certain degree
George harroson never overcame the yips until he stopped performing. Lennon stepped in for him , but the Beatles rarely performed live after 65.

Nerves in other words. I think a lot of performers suffer from that. I can assure you that one Beatle is attempting to perform live after the age of 65. I wish he wouldn't though.

:laugh:
Bri

No. Yips are more than nerves they are a mental disorder. The yips extend beyond the arts.
In darts Eric Bristow had the yips. They are most common in golf. Top players such as els had the yips on the greens.
They can be overcome to a certain degree but not entirely.
George Harrison never overcame his demons.

Last edited:
I think an awful lot of performers have suffered from a huge amount of nerves at the thought of performing in front of an audience. Throwing up is quite common as is dependency upon alcohol and drugs before the act. Is Yips something on top of that?

Bri

That's all part of the yips. Barbara Streisand got them and could not perform on stage for years.
Golfers are prone to the yips. Ernie Els, Vijay Singh both got the yips as did Bernard Langer.
Anyone remember Eric Bristow? He got th yips very badly and couldn't throw darts anymore.
The Beatles were very good at hiding Harrison's problems. Thy didn't play live too often when when they did and it was filmed the camera was suoerb at hiding the fact that Lennon was on lead.

So could this have been the main contributory reason that they stopped playing live. I always thought John was the least competent guitarist in the band. Lucky George could still cut it in the studio Or was that the reason Clapton did while my giitar gently weeps?

The reason they stopped touring in 65 was because they got sick of all the frenzy and trouble at their gigs. It became a nightmare. Harrison was still playing lead live when they quit touring. Lennon was a excellent guitarist, as is Macartney, but he wasn't interested in playing lead. Clapton took the lead on guitar weeps simply because he was a close friend of harriosn. No other reason I know of.
There's actually a gig front Toronto where Clapton is the lead with the plastic one band. It's not live peace in Toronto bit another gig. Clapton was so stoned he couldn't play and just stood there on stage. So Lennon took over and he was simply superb. I never knew he could play as well as that. I had a copy of the gig but I can't find it any more.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom