The Beast Within PC-Game

aet3

I have the original discs for this super game.
I played it years ago on my old Windows 95 computer.
I have just found the game again, BUT, it will not load or install or play on my current computer (Vista Home Premium).
Message keeps saying files missing on the install disc.
Is there anyway this can be made to install/load on my computer ?
I thought Vista was backward compatible.
I would like to be able to play it again.
It is the same with two others i found - Realms of Haunting and Gabriel Knight 3.
If not my local Charity Shop may have a use for them.
Any help or suggestions folks ?
Cheers.

aet3

Hi - Thank you for your suggestion.
I have just looked and read your link - BOY !!!! it has frieghtened the life out of me, just trying to understand it !!!
I am a bit of a novice with the technical side of computering.
If I download the Virtual PC will this upset my current settings ? I am concerned as the computer consultant had a lot of trouble setting my system up, as the wife has a wireless laptop, which operates the printer through my computer.
Sorry to be a pain, but I am looking for confidence.
Cheers and thanks.

jedial

It shouldn't affect anything but it's propbably best not to install if you're not comfortable.
The Windows PC doesn't technically support Win 95 although it should work and it might be tricky setting it up if you are non-technical.

aet3

Hi Jedial and all the other Forum members.
Thank you very much, the patch worked and allowed me to download the 6 discs of the game onto my computer.
Another question for the Forum Members:
When the download plays it alters the screen mode and is only in a "Safe Mode" graphics, so the picture and video is extremely poor quality.
There are no buttons or options to change the mode. It just starts to play in that format.
When you exit the game my screen reverts back to high quality.
The question: Is there a way to alter the resolution of the playing screen image to a high quality.
Again, thanks for all your help.
Cheers.

jedial

Hi, glad it worked :thumbsup:
It may just be reverting to the standard resolution of the original game. It's hard to believe what we used to put up with.
I'll do a little digging though to see if I can find anything.

Razor

Hi, glad it worked :thumbsup:
It may just be reverting to the standard resolution of the original game. It's hard to believe what we used to put up with.
I'll do a little digging though to see if I can find anything.

You might be able to hack the config file and change the res.

Have a look on this site.

Main Page - WSGFWiki

jedial

The native resolution of the game is 640x480.

I saw a post from someone saying they had it running at 1024x768 and they seemed to indiate they did this through the in game options (they may have had a hack though). As I don't have the game I can't check I'm afraid.

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom