1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Beast Has Arrived

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Apocalypse, Oct 11, 2002.

1. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OMG :eek: :eek:

Knock on the door at 9:20 am and the guy said "hiya m8 we have a palette for you", I responded with "No the guy who sent it said he'd placed a palette underneath it to keep it safe, you can remove it now". He looked relieved and told his mate he can remove the palette, he then glanced up at me and said "what the hell is it anyway" to which I replied "oh it's a speaker". There was a pause of maybe 4 seconds then he said "A SPEAKER, I thought it was a ###### TV" :D

Two of them struggled getting up to my front door as they had to climb 20 steps but they managed to get it to my hallway, here is a pic of it waiting to go to my room : Huge Box

A reassuring glance at the side of the box revealed that this was indeed the Series II version Series II

Now I had to get the beast up to my room, a further 2 flights of stairs so a quick phone call to my work colleagues and they were here in 10 mins ready (but not eager) to help. The sheer level of profanity uttered by my colleagues as were lifting it to my room would have made a sailor cringe :)

Once in my room we managed to get the beast into it's position on a small rug I bought just for it : Preliminary Position

I just had to take a close up shot of the huge 18" driver : 18" Driver

As some of you may know my pre amp is currently being repaired so I can't yet comment on the sub but with my DVD player hooked up to the power amp I can try out CDs that are recorded at very low levels (a normal recording is too loud with the default volume of the DVD player). All I can say is HOLY MOLY, the bass beats were hitting me in the chest, it's like nothing I've felt before and this was just guess work with the volume from the sub, the sound was too loud for this time in the morning so I had to turn it off.

My one and only concern with the HGS18 was it's so called humming, my concerns were unwarranted, it's no noisier than my PS1000 was, it's way below the sound of my PC which is on 24/7 so on this matter I'm very happy.

How annoying that I can't play with my new beast properly, I think the shop repairing my pre amp will be getting an anxious call today from me :devil:

Edit - I've thanked him by PM but let the world know how gratefull I am to Uncle Eric, absolutely no complaints about his advice, service and general friendliness, if anyone has any doubts about a powerbuy from Uncle Eric you can take it from me he is the real deal and lots more too.

2. aris

aris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Is it wise to post a picture with your full address on it? Anyone wanting a new sub but is a bit short on cash now knows where to get one!

3. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Agree about the picture/address situation - just re-edit the shot and post,hope you get that amp back soon Apocalypse,you will be amazed at the enjoyment a good subwoofer brings to everything you watch and listen - dvd/tv/cd`s/games/etc,you will be grinning all day long - I know I am two weeks on - big `ol chesshire grin every time you fire it up :D

4. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Picture edited now, wasn't thinking due to excitement :blush:

You're right about that grin, I've been sat here looking at it and shaking my head, I'm actually scared of it atm because with the DVD acting as the decoder the sound is very very loud so a normal bass beat hits me like an invisible force.

I just tried the 1812 Thaikovsky MP3 I have that goes way down to 5Hz, with my previous sub you got the cannon fire blasting a definite low end thud but it tailed off, the HGS18 kept going till my stomach was definitely affected by it. As I type this 10 mins after the MP3 I have a tingly feeling in my guts still, I have to accept that the DVD player is too loud and wait for my pre amp :(

Guess what though, even at that level of volume the HGS18 was exibiting no distortion and the cleanliness of the bass was something I've never experienced before. If you live in the South Yorkshire area and want a demo of this beast PM me and we'll sort something out...................once my pre amp has returned of course :rolleyes:

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apocalypse

Good to hear that you have your 'legal' immigrant with you now.

How long will you have to wait for your processor/pre-amp?

Still, you could always lay a duvet over the HGS-18 and have a kip until it's ready to be 'Buster Rhymed'

'Say Fire-it-up'

Adzman

6. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I feel so stupid now, ever since I got the pre amp (Marantz AV9000) it's had 2 minor faults, the remote couldn't select all the inputs and the memory backup of the unit only worked if you placed it in standby. I could/should have sorted it out asap but I'm damn lazy at times and only decided to take it in last Friday (4th). 7oaks said Marantz hope to either fix or replace a faulty unit within 2 weeks so it hopefully should be back sometime next week.

At the moment the HGS is plugged into the TV's "Woofer" phono, a tad overkill one might say for a TV but hey, anything to run this beast in :D

7. Mr Pleasant

Mr Pleasant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    You'll have the mark of the beast on that rug before long...

8. mission

mission

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    do all subwoofers hum

9. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've owned 3 subs, Paradigm PS1000, B&W ASW675 and the HGS18. The PS1000 and the HGS18 have an extremely low hum (one can only hear it at night or first thing in a morning when outside ambient noise is less) but the B&W was silent when it was on. I guess it's how makers choose to design them but like I said, we're not talking about a hum that's audible during a film's quiet passages (and I'm only 11 feet from it)

10. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only if they like the music your playing.

11. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Surely they only hum when they don't know the words.

12. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My subwoofers did hum, until I disconnected the earth on the amplifier´s power cord, they don´t anymore...