1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The BBC and the ODD aspect Ratio

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Blighty_Boy, Oct 30, 2003.

1. Blighty_Boy

Blighty_Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When im watching the news on BBC 1, it has this irritating habit of switching aspects between true Wide (on the live studio scene's) and some weird nearly wide on the pre recorded scenes with a big black bar down the right of the TV.

any idea's , Im already aware of the 14:9 ratio used on broadcasts but this is coming from a digital source and even when I stick my TV in 14:9 mode it's still not quite right. :confused:

2. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I get this on my panny.....switching between studio and say the outside broadcast of the weather results in the 'WIDE' onscreen logo appearing for several seconds....very irratating..

3. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,013
    The output from the BBC is still full 16:9 wide - they are just taking the outside broadcast 4:3 signal and blowing it up to (nearly) fill the 16:9 screen. Don't know why they don't go all the way - maybe too much loss of quality?

Shouldn't affect your viewing and you shouldn't have to change anything on your TV.

Johndm, sounds like you have some kind of automatic aspect ratio zoom mode enabled on your TV. The kind that sees some black bars and tries to get rid of them by switching the aspect ratio.

If you are watching only digital TV these days, then you could turn that off, as the set top box will send out switching info if you need it

4. mij

mij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    On my Loewe I have black bars on both sides of the picture when this happens, so it sounds like your picture is not set right.

mij

5. cosaw

cosaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Yep, I agree with richard. I have a Sony KD32DX40. It doesn't switch aspect ratios it just stays in wide. The point is that the beeb obviously do a rubbish job of blowing up their 4:3 content and displaying it within the 16:9 frame. I get the black bar to the right. It would seem its a formating issue with the beeb.

However I would like to see more 4:3 anamorphic broadcasts. The standard 4:3 stuff sent out is not actually fully 4:3, it's closer to 3:3, the black borders (left and right) are too wide. That's on my sony anyway! It would seem it's a compromise as anyone using zoom would loose these bits of picture anyway.

cosaw

6. Stuart Brooks

Stuart Brooks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the Sony may be slicing too much of the sides of the 4:3 image.

I notice that with the KD28DX30, it's almost a square picture when watching 4:3 in 4:3 mode. Every so often (usually C5) a 4:3 programme causes the TV to switch to what it calls Wide. However it is not stretching the image, it is slightly wider as the black bands are narrower and you actually see more of the image.

Any explanations???

Stuart

7. sjw

sjw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Blighty_boy,
    My TV does this too. It's only when I'm watching through the TV's digital tuner (32nx200). Aswell as News, you sometimes get the bar down the right on CBBC channel too - for whole programs.

Through the analogue tuner it's OK - I assume because they broadcast most of that in 4:3 anyway so it's always stretched but like you say on some programmes they switch ratios between studio and outside broadcasts..

Glad it's not just me..

Ste

8. cosaw

cosaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Yes stuart, I know what you're saying and have wondered myself wether this is just a problem of the Sony.

Yep this is what I meant by:

As that is what you are seeing: proper 4:3 displayed in a 16:9 window (and as you say not stretched/distorted), not many broadcasts do it though. Sometimes sports on the beeb are broadcast like this which is good but obviously full widescreen would be preferable.

You can probably alter the thickness of the black bars (to the sides) in the service menus (although I have not tried) in order to display the full 4:3 image.

I was initially anoyed when I bought the telly of this factor, for it also happens to dvds. When they unstretch to "wide" you are still losing some of the sides of the pic. 2.35:1 dvds come out more like 1.85:1 and 1.85:1 come out fullscreen (16:9). I know this because I cross referenced it with my PC which displays the correct/full aspect ratio. I then realised that more expensive sony's had something called "panoramic" or something, which showed the whole aspect ratio.

I have learned to live with it and if I get into HCPC I might think about preformating my dvd images and sending them to my telly in the correct aspect ratio. After all I chose the Sony for its picture quality not it's aspect ratio capability.

cosaw