The Batman 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Given what you said on the other Batman thread I get the impression maybe Batman isn’t for you 🤷🏻‍♂️
Batman is great and so is Nolan´s Batman. In the other thread i was actually ranting about Nolan´s version of BANE in THE DARK KNIGHT RISES coz just like in BATMAN & ROBIN they sadly fu**ed up a second time here, unable to do the comic-original justice like they actually did with THE JOKER (well somehow) and especially Harvey "TWO-FACE" Dent.

The original comic Bane is neither a braindead moron (BATMAN & ROBIN) nor a weird talking, dog-muzzle-wearing weirdo, suffering asthma and *anorexia nervosa (THE DARK KNIGHT RISES).

*regarding his "thin" physique compared to the approx 350 pounds comic-original, while i do understand they probably neither wanted some wrestler to take the part of BANE nor having a complete CGI-Bane running around in the movie.

Mod Comment

@Jim Di Griz and @Mike1975 can we have a bit of semblance of respect for others opinions and one of you was a click away from some infractions.

And @barnaby jones that last comment was unrequited.

Offending post deleted.
BTW the emoji are not that to add ridicule to others post and miss use is frowned upon.

Finally got round to watching it earlier tonight, I had planned to see it in the cinema but unfortunately life got in the way!

I have to say that I was hooked from the opening scenes and thought that the way the tension built in the first ten minutes was amazing, I actually had goosebumps!

Was a solid 8 or 9 out of ten for me (needs a second watch to confirm) and the long run time didn't bother me at all (to be honest, I don't really understand why people complain about long runtimes, you know how long the film is going to be before you watch it, it's not a surprise, so just allow enough time to watch it!)

AV was fantastic in 4K, fabulous picture and sound and Micky G's score was amazing. I was worried it couldn't hold a candle to Hans Zimmer's work on the Nolan films but it was both very good and distinctive.

Would recommend to anyone who likes the darker, more mature Batman comics.

I watched this over the weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it. A solid Batman film.

I tried watching it during the day on my LG CX with all the blinds shut etc. (normally sufficient) but couldn't see a thing! Had to postpone to later in the evening.

Anyone else find this film particularly dark/hard to see? I was using the DV Cinema preset (professionally calibrated). This would have been a rare candidate for DV Home (brighter) but it has undefeatable motion smoothing.

I watched this over the weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it. A solid Batman film.

I tried watching it during the day on my LG CX with all the blinds shut etc. (normally sufficient) but couldn't see a thing! Had to postpone to later in the evening.

Anyone else find this film particularly dark/hard to see? I was using the DV Cinema preset (professionally calibrated). This would have been a rare candidate for DV Home (brighter) but it has undefeatable motion smoothing.
Yes, some scenes in DV are really dark, flawed to some extent. HDR on the other hand seems to have raised blacks. It's been discussed here today btw.: Panasonic DP-UB820 4K Blu-ray Player Review & Comments

It should have raised blacks full stop, as that's how it's supposed to look.

It did not look too dark in DV Cinema on my CX, at all.

It should have raised blacks full stop, as that's how it's supposed to look.

It did not look too dark in DV Cinema on my CX, at all.
Don't get me wrong, the detail was all there in a darker room. More a comment of how dark the film was shot that a midday room with the curtains drawn was hard to watch - usually not an issue.

Just received my copy from Amazon Italy. I bought just the standard version in the end as I managed to get it just under £15 including delivery. Not sure if it’s been mentioned but this version has zero special features. The two enclosed discs are just the film on UHD and Blu-ray.
7CB95AB5-2E08-480B-95FE-CD0A71534079.jpeg

Absolutely rubbish.

Like listening to Radiohead whilst taking depressent pills.

Watched this on Saturday and really enjoyed it. I enjoyed the 3 hours in the rain and the slightly lo-fi gadgets compared with Nolan's.

I actually did find the baddie pretty sinister. Loved the use of "Something's in the way" as well.

Note for parents: as per this review, it is deffo a 15. I should not have let my 10yo watch it, even though i hit the FF for the violence and he fell asleep for the final third. I should have read the review first !

MB

Watched this on Saturday and really enjoyed it. I enjoyed the 3 hours in the rain and the slightly lo-fi gadgets compared with Nolan's.

I actually did find the baddie pretty sinister. Loved the use of "Something's in the way" as well.

Note for parents: as per this review, it is deffo a 15. I should not have let my 10yo watch it, even though i hit the FF for the violence and he fell asleep for the final third. I should have read the review first !

MB

Having a dozen variations of that song throughout the movie was lazy. even simple background still had the same song either slower pace or a few notes YAWN

Saves money hiring good music writers..

Finally watched this last night (over 2 nights) on 4K UHD and quite enjoyed it. Definitely has "Seven" vibes to it. I watched it at night on my projector so the picture was plenty bright and easy to see everything. Looked really good.

I don't think its one for the kids due to the long runtime and slow burn, film-noir style. Pattinson's Wayne is dull but I liked his Batman. Serkis' Alfred was wasted. Colin Farrell was excellent and you'd have never known it was him until the credit. The Riddler was well done also.

A more "low-tech" Batman, and his wing suit was cool. albeit the landing should have killed him !!

The one thing that was a little weird was the "fast forward" style towards the end, where it looked like some of the scenes were playing at x2 speed on FF..... took me out of the film a bit.

Glad I've seen it now, but not as much "rewatchability" as the Nolan series.

Thanks for the review :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Somewhat late to the party, but I picked up the 4K disc earlier this week. Great review, Cas.

Batman's one of those franchise that can survive if it's reinvented each time and not reheated leftovers from previous films. Some of us probably sit in either the Burton or Nolan camp as to which take was the right one. For me this entry sits right in the middle, taking the best bits of previous iterations.

I liked the detective side of it (it reminded me of the Arkham games I'd played), and Pattinson was an excellent Batman, but a bit mopey and miserable as Bruce Wayne. Paul Dano's performance was excellent I thought. Finally a Riddler with some menace (and no spandex in sight).

The disc itself - superb. Lovely transfer, some wonderful cinematography throughout (perhaps a bit over indulgent in places) and an aggressive Atmos mix (the litmus test of an Atmos track for me is whether I need to check if the rainfall makes me ponder if I've left the skylight window open, and this one passed, twice...).

I'm still a bit conflicted about the Batmobile. You just don't cut up a Charger, they're too special for that. But when you make it mid-engine, Fury Road, post-Truss apocalyptic spec, it works.

Excellent overall I thought, I'm looking forward to the next one.

I have it on bluray but since the 4k is now dirt cheap i am going to buy it. Question is this:
I don't like hdr so i always disable it on system level (xbox series x). Will i still benefit from watching this film?, or is it especially designed for hdr and the colors will be 'off' if i see it in sdr?
I aks this question because i got robocop 4k and indeed the colors where off if i disabled hdr. It seemed mastered especially for hdr or don't watch it all all type of thing or get the standard blu ray.

ave it on bluray but since the 4k is now dirt cheap i am going to buy it. Question is this:
I don't like hdr so i always disable it on system level (xbox series x). Will i still benefit from watching this film?, or is it especially designed for hdr and the colors will be 'off' if i see it in sdr?
I aks this question because i got robocop 4k and indeed the colors where off if i disabled hdr. It seemed mastered especially for hdr or don't watch it all all type of thing or get the standard blu ray.

Can you adjust oled light and peak brightness? I don't have it on 100% either way too bright.

Reducing it brings it down a bit, but gives some HDR effect

Can you adjust oled light and peak brightness? I don't have it on 100% either way too bright.

Reducing it brings it down a bit, but gives some HDR effect
I have a Samsung qn95a so it has it's own setting for gamma etc for sdr. The question was really if the color space will be broken entirely if i get the 4k version of the film but watch it on sdr. Like i said it happened to me in Robocop 4k.

I have a Samsung qn95a so it has it's own setting for gamma etc for sdr. The question was really if the color space will be broken entirely if i get the 4k version of the film but watch it on sdr. Like i said it happened to me in Robocop 4k.
Well change your settings for HDR so it does look right for you!

Cracking demo worthy 4K disc this just upgraded to the Rel HT1003 sub wow that Batmobile chase sequence,next door must be cacking themselves hah

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom