The basics of IR remote receivers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by GavinH, Dec 30, 2006.

1. GavinH

GavinH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I searched a couple of posts - but thought I'd ask some basics as I don't really know what I need at all.

Setup: I've got a pioneer plasma with a sperate "media receiver". That along with my DVD player and amplifier are going to be housed in a cupboard - well out of sight of the plasma screen itself.

So, I know that I need some kind of receiver so that I can control the kit from the living room - but what exaclty do I need?

The current information I've been given is that I need an IR reciever, in the region of £150 that will control the DVD player and the amp. Unfortunately it seems that this receiver cannot also control the plasma - so I will need a seperate receiver for that, of a similar price to the first :rolleyes:

Are there other options?
    How do these devices work (basics - wires, receiver, input to kit etc)?

My living room is currently a building site and I'm starting the installation from scratch - so I'm open to different methods.

Cheers, Gavin :smashin:

2. KingOfGondor

KingOfGondor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    well the Harmony 895 works with RF and IR, it sends radio signals to IR blasters which then control the equipment

you can use the IR blaster to control the hidden items and use remote IR to control the tv