The Babadook 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Excellent review as ever Cas but the price point of this keeps putting me off........hopefully there'll still be stock around for it to drop in price to a point I'm happier with.........

Thanks Cas, I might have to give this another go, when I first watched it I thought it was average at best, but that was on a smallish TV in a living room environment. Might feel different watching it in my cinema?

Thanks Cass, haven’t seen it and been meaning too, on the rental list it goes…

Excellent review as ever Cas but the price point of this keeps putting me off........hopefully there'll still be stock around for it to drop in price to a point I'm happier with.........

It's difficult. On the one hand, I want to support relatively boutique companies bringing films to the 4K format. On the other, I feel 4K disc prices are generally high and, unlike the 1080p Blu-ray format, tend to remain so almost indefinitely.

I had a look to see if there would be a subsequent non-deluxe 4K release, much like Arrow does with its titles, which I'd probably pick up. There doesn't seem to be an announcement at the moment.

Thanks Cas. I watched this about a Month ago, because the story seemed to be talked about a lot at that time. Very disturbing but brilliantly done.

jeez. i think you missed the decimal point off the front of the rating. couldn't stand more than 20 minutes of this manure.

Nice review Cas. Definitely not for me. I saw this a while back and just couldn't see what the fuss was all about. I much rather Hereditary and Midsommar to be honest. And Conjuring 1&2 come to that.

It's difficult. On the one hand, I want to support relatively boutique companies bringing films to the 4K format. On the other, I feel 4K disc prices are generally high and, unlike the 1080p Blu-ray format, tend to remain so almost indefinitely.

I had a look to see if there would be a subsequent non-deluxe 4K release, much like Arrow does with its titles, which I'd probably pick up. There doesn't seem to be an announcement at the moment.

Here's the solution - competition now live:

Win a copy of the Limited Edition Babadook 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray

Spot on review….Got my set the other day. It’s a gorgeous set too. I’ve really been enjoying going through these Second Sight releases. The book is a lovely edition.

Nice review Cas. Definitely not for me. I saw this a while back and just couldn't see what the fuss was all about. I much rather Hereditary and Midsommar to be honest. And Conjuring 1&2 come to that.
Same here. I may have to give this another chance. Watched this with a group of friends caught up in the hype of the initial release and no one actually liked it. Maybe I will enjoy it more now.

Got the Blu-ray of this when it came out. Watched it once and thought it had some good ideas but was a bit nonplussed as there was a lot of great press about it but basically it didn’t really scare me. Have to give it another go some time.

Will try the disc when the price drops. For now I am happy with my £1.99 iTunes stream that's 4K HDR.

Another great review Cas. I watched this when it was first released on blu and thought it kept the tension ratcheted up more or less the whole way through the film so as a horror I thought it was excellent. Another one for the to buy list.

Went to see this at the cinema. What struck me beyond the intensity of the film was the amazing soundtrack.
I remember the sound just really added to the effect of the film even though it was more mood noise then music.
Should sound brilliant on the UHD.

Did anyone pick up the Kickstarter funded replica Mister Babadook book that Jennifer Kent oversaw a year or so after release? It cost a fortune and was delayed and delayed and delayed……..but when it arrived, it was a thing of beauty…….
D0EE73DC-EDB0-4497-8626-BB598DD72217.jpeg
47B72399-2D12-424E-BBB7-C5570F4050B0.jpeg
66BC4CC2-D6CF-4AB3-B1CF-3658ECF43FC7.jpeg

Last edited:
We watched it last night as it's free on Amazon Prime. I'm afraid we only gave the film itself 7.5/10, however the acting by the two lead actors is excellent.

Did anyone pick up the Kickstarter funded replica Mister Babadook book that Jennifer Kent oversaw a year or so after release? It cost a fortune and was delayed and delayed and delayed……..but when it arrived, it was a thing of beauty…….

I had my order in but cancelled and refunded on the (third?) delay. wish I'd stuck with it now :(

I did get the 4K of this movie. I previously owned the DVD and this 4K is stunning looking. The audio is really good also on this 4K. When I first watched this movie I thought it was nothing that great, but when I watched it again I really enjoyed it. I highly recommend getting the 4K.

I watched this at the weekend (I got it for a very good price 😄) and agree, a pin-sharp transfer, perfect contrast and a DTS-HD MA track so good I didn't care about the lack of an object-oriented track. :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom