The AVS Cordinated buy HD-DVD day

Noggin1980

Distinguished Member
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=8172128#post8172128

Looks like their August 8th Cordinated avs buy hd-dvd went very well. Between them they spent about 10 thousand dollars on movies yesturday. 1 person even brought 39 movies.

On another poll they now have at least 15 people who have 31 or more movies with the record being 45.

They are certainly doing their best to make a difference, good on them.

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
...and I should think we are probably helping a fair bit from this side of the Atlantic as well. Even more so when the UK HD DVD player and Xbox addon arrive, both of which (hopefully) should be capable of playing US discs.

lfletcher

Blimey, 39 in one go. I have 37 at the moment with another 23 in transit or pre-ordered. Just doing my bit.

Dave H

What sort of price can you get them for ?

Dave.

SAH

Banned
Noggin1980 said:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=8172128#post8172128

Looks like their August 8th Cordinated avs buy hd-dvd went very well. Between them they spent about 10 thousand dollars on movies yesturday. 1 person even brought 39 movies.

On another poll they now have at least 15 people who have 31 or more movies with the record being 45.

Is this a joke?:rolleyes:

What will they do when PS3 hits the market with tens of millions of players, and, lets be pessimistic, 1 in 5 buy a BR disc?

Is the tide turning as PS3 and major BR players ready for launch? HD-DVD and it's supporters seem to be assuming the little guy complex, while BR supporters/enthusiasts are quite happy to sit back, wait for the market to settle down, and let the consumer make their choice. :smashin: :rotfl:

rover2002

lfletcher said:
Blimey, 39 in one go. I have 37 at the moment with another 23 in transit or pre-ordered. Just doing my bit.

Darn that is alot:D

lfletcher

Dave H said:
What sort of price can you get them for ?
I tend to shop around using DVDBoxOffice, Movietyme, Amazon, DeepDiscountDVD and DVDPacific. Cheapest has been £10. The Japanese ones are about £22. Pay an average of about £13.

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
What will they do when PS3 hits the market with tens of millions of players, and, lets be pessimistic, 1 in 5 buy a BR disc?
I would say 1 in 5 buying a BluRay disc is very optimistic. For one thing, in Europe at least, BluRay discs are likely to be in somewhat short supply when the PS3 launches as the official European BD launch isn't until March. Furthermore US BD sales will not be bolstered by importers as HD DVD clear is.

It does amuse me though the way some seem to think the PS3 will define who wins the format war. For one we don't know anything on how the PS3 will handle BD movies yet - is it any good? Does it actually allow high def output via component? etc etc Secondly, a number of analysis have suggested the console might not set the world on fire with sales. And thirdly the HD DVD add on for the 360 is likely to sell very well cancelling the effect of the PS3 - indeed if it turns out to PC compatible as well (it connects via USB) you could be looking at hundreds of millions of units. :) Where would that leave BluRay sales then? :devil:

HD-DVD and it's supporters seem to be assuming the little guy complex, while BR supporters/enthusiasts are quite happy to sit back, wait for the market to settle down, and let the consumer make their choice.
Or, from another perspective, home cinema fans have realised what format is currently the best and are visibly supporting it so they get more releases and more studios on side. Whilst nobody really cares about BluRay until it shows us something worth having...

lfletcher

SAH said:
HD-DVD and it's supporters seem to be assuming the little guy complex, while BR supporters/enthusiasts are quite happy to sit back, wait for the market to settle down, and let the consumer make their choice.
If the quotes from the Pioneer fella are to be believed then it appears that stupidity and arrogance are the order of the day for the Blu Ray camp. If the consumers that are buying High Definition arent interested in picture quality, codecs and cropping why on earth would you buy HD to start with? What an idiot.

As much as the Samsung player has been panned, I actually feel the biggest issue is the masters and encoding, both arent up to scratch and Sony/MGM/Lions Gate need to pull their collective fingers out and start delivering what the consumer wants.

Until the discs and players improve what choice do you have as BD supporter but to wait?

M

mak99

I tried to rally you AVFers with this posting here almost three weeks ago:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372421

Not sure how many people here read the thread over at AVS, or actually acted on it. This was just an effort to show the movie industry that there is demand for HD DVDs - to send them a message "build it, and they will come". The more demand they see for this technology, the more movies they might pump out quicker.

There's already talk of another mass-purchasing day, so please read this thread over on AVS if you'd like to participate next time...

Long live HD DVD!

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
I tried to rally you AVFers with this posting here almost three weeks ago
:smashin: I remembered and delayed purchasing We Were Soldiers for a week to buy on the designated day. Also ordered The Italian Job, Pitch Black and Chronicles Of Riddick at the sametime.

Every little helps!

rnicoll

SAH said:
Is this a joke?:rolleyes:

Tens of millions... so we're thinking, what, 2008, 2009? Seriously, they'll be lucky if they can ship a million by 2007, and unless we're going to see a price drop shortly after launch, I don't think we're going to be talking tens of millions for a long time.

Something I notice a lot, AV enthusiasts seem to forget that the core market for the PS3 (gamers) doesn't have nearly as much money lying around as they do (keep in mind, the majority are either college students or children), and don't really care about watching movies in HD. Sure, they quite like the idea, but it's not something they get all that excited about, and certainly not something they're going to prioritise spending money on over, say, the games for the console (which will be around £50 each, maybe less if you hunt around online).

Northerner76

Don't mean to be argumentative... however do you have any figures to back up this statement?
Gaming is becoming a more mainstream entertainment option, and as such the type of person who becomes a "gamer" is more likely to be representative of the population as a whole... which in this country is an aging one...
Personally I think your statement is a bit naive... check this link: http://www.imediaconnection.com/content/4525.asp and check out the comments on "entertainment enthusiasts"

Anyway back on topic... I believe that things like the coordinated buy days can have an affect... afterall as strong enthusiasts for a format, we tend to talk/advise our friends and families on the best options... they then perhaps buy and talk to their friends and families...etc... etc... ultimately the news spreads far and wide and before you know it your 80 year gran decides to go out and buy a HD-DVD player to watch the classics in glorious HD!! ;)

rnicoll said:
Something I notice a lot, AV enthusiasts seem to forget that the core market for the PS3 (gamers) doesn't have nearly as much money lying around as they do (keep in mind, the majority are either college students or children), and don't really care about watching movies in HD.

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
TBH, I'd have just as welcomed a 'boycott HDDVD/bluray' day (well I guess the latter is already in effect :p.

Rather than make HDDVD the winner and persuade errant studios to join the club, they are more likely to keep things drawn out.

rnicoll

Northerner76 said:
Don't mean to be argumentative... however do you have any figures to back up this statement?
Gaming is becoming a more mainstream entertainment option, and as such the type of person who becomes a "gamer" is more likely to be representative of the population as a whole... which in this country is an aging one...
Personally I think your statement is a bit naive... check this link: http://www.imediaconnection.com/content/4525.asp and check out the comments on "entertainment enthusiasts"

Don't worry, "Here's some numbers, have you got any?" is one of my favourite things to do, and I have to admit, I don't have anything to back me up apart from my own experiences, so I'll just be quiet in the corner now, thanks :)

Still, whatever happens, the next few months should be fascinating to watch, as the PS3 and Wii launch, and Blu-Ray actually gets up to speed. I'm not overly fussed which format wins the HD war, as long as one does, and quickly, but have to admit I would love to see Sony taken down a notch after all the "It's a bargain at £425!" stuff. And the rootkit mess.

M

mak99

Rasczak said:
:smashin: I remembered and delayed purchasing We Were Soldiers for a week to buy on the designated day. Also ordered The Italian Job, Pitch Black and Chronicles Of Riddick at the sametime.

Every little helps!
Thanks - good to know there was some support across the pond! Hopefully more AVFers can get involved on any future mass-purchase day!

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
I assume that will be PS3 launch day then!!
Surely that will be over-shadowed enough with everyone running out to buy the HD DVD addon and Gears Of War for the Xbox 360 :devil:

SAH

Banned
rnicoll said:
Tens of millions... so we're thinking, what, 2008, 2009? Seriously, they'll be lucky if they can ship a million by 2007, and unless we're going to see a price drop shortly after launch, I don't think we're going to be talking tens of millions for a long time.
).

2 million shipped by November 2006, but lets be honest, however many are launched it will still swamp current HD-DVD/BR player sales.

Judging by the responses in this thread, the little guy complex is taking hold, theres no need for 'pro' HD-DVD posters to jump down the throats of those who dare to suggest BR has a bright future, especially as neither format has yet to be launched outside the US, and the BR big hitters haven't even hit the shelves over there!

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
Judging by the responses in this thread, the little guy complex is taking hold, theres no need for 'pro' HD-DVD posters to jump down the throats of those who dare to suggest BR has a bright future
:rotfl: Two posts in one thread suggesting we have 'little man' syndrome. Are you are vertically challenged by any chance?

Rasczak said:
Surely that will be over-shadowed enough with everyone running out to buy the HD DVD addon the Xbox 360 :devil:

Anyone buying the HD-DVD add-on is dumber than I originally assumed. There is no HMDI port or cable forthcoming, and the only thing in the way of your lovely HD-DVD downscaling to DVD quality because of ICT, is the movie studio's word they will be nice. Like they can be trusted!!!!

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
Anyone buying the HD-DVD add-on is dumber than I originally assumed. There is no HMDI port or cable forthcoming, and the only thing in the way of your lovely HD-DVD downscaling to DVD quality because of ICT, is the movie studio's word they will be nice. Like they can be trusted!!!!
:)

ICT has effectively been ruled out for now due to legal issues in Japan and the US. So it's slightly more than the movie studios being 'nice'. And an HDMI cable might well be forthcoming for the 360 - you never know! Interestingly the budget PS3 doesn't have HDMI does it...are buyers of this 'dumb' as well?

Rasczak said:
:)

ICT has effectively been ruled out for now due to legal issues in Japan and the US. So it's slightly more than the movie studios being 'nice'. And an HDMI cable might well be forthcoming for the 360 - you never know! Interestingly the budget PS3 doesn't have HDMI does it...are buyers of this 'dumb' as well?

The cable has been "forthcoming" for over year. The only indication is a holding page in the LikSang website. I wouldn't hold your breath. If it were a simple task, Microsoft, and a slew of 3rd party manufacutrers would have them on the shelves by now (a year after console release).

ICT has not been ruled out at all (link??), it's still on the cards, with only a gentlemans agreement to stop it happening. As soon as someone starts pirating HD movies in HD quality, because ICT is not enabled, there will be a mass scramble to switch it on. Leaving lots of XBox360 (and PS3 basic owners) in the cold. The difference being however, the PS3 owner made that choice, as the more expensive console is aimed at people who would buy AV kit can see the benefit of a pure digital signal path, and can afford the extra price.

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
If it were a simple task, Microsoft, and a slew of 3rd party manufacutrers would have them on the shelves by now (a year after console release).
Why? What's the need at present? Picture quality wise there is absolutely no difference between a decent component picture and an HDMI one - in fact in many instances component can look significantly better and avoids the pitfalls of HDMI. Don't let anyone tell you that"HDMI is better because it gives an 'all digital' picture" - just laugh at their ignorance.

So that just leaves HDCP as the 'benefit' of having HDMI - and nothing on the 360 requires that at present. That will include the HD DVD drive until such time as the studios are allowed to enable it. When it does happen I have no doubt whatsoever that an HDMI cable will be forthcoming assuming the 360 is still in circulation then (which I doubt). Amusingly if/when such cable does emerge then all 360 owners will be able to get it - I bet, given the different versions of PS3 at launch, we don't see ones for the 'lite' owners.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Google set to launch the Pixel 7 and Pixel 7 Pro smartphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Focal launches Bathys noise-cancelling wireless headphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Formovie Theater UST projector hits the UK
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sonus faber unveils new flagship Arena speaker series