The AVForums Sony Alpha Album

Dave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd start a thread to showcase the capability of the Alpha's and naturally the people pressing the shutter release.

Anything goes as long as it's taken with an alpha.:thumbsup:

A couple from me to get us going, C&C welcome.

Hi
Can I ask what the camera settings were please.
I have only had my Alpha 100 camera a short while, so have a lot of learning to do.
Cheers.

Hi there, if you click the images and go through to flickr, there is a link on the right hand side which says "more properties" that gives you all of the exif information.

1. Camera: Sony DSLR-A100
Exposure: 0.013 sec (1/80)
Aperture: f/2.0
Focal Length: 50 mm
ISO Speed: 400
Exposure Bias: +1 EV
Flash: Off, Did not fire

2. Camera: Sony DSLR-A100
Exposure: 0.008 sec (1/125)
Aperture: f/4
Focal Length: 120 mm
ISO Speed: 100
Exposure Bias: 0/10 EV
Flash: Flash did not fire

That portrait is beautiful, just lovely.

Mark.

Yes Dave - I'll say it again - two very nice shots :smashin:

Jim

Ooh now you have unleashed the beast of the Sony Alpha system which we were hiding before as not to embarass the Canikon users! (Joking before a war starts!)

I'll put LOTS up when I have chance...

Yesterday was my first chance to play with my 100-300 apo d since I got it for Christmas. So heres a picture of a squirrel. Its a bit dark but the weather wasn't great.

DSC00389.ARW.jpg

1. Camera: Sony DSLR-A700
Exposure: (1/30)
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 250 mm
ISO Speed: 800
Flash: Off, Did not fire

Last edited:
Nice bokeh, I'd love to have some squirrels to shoot.

If I may be so bold I love the shot but it's suffered a bit from the combination of 250mm and 1/30 shutter speed. A tripod would probably help a lot.:smashin:

Nice bokeh, I'd love to have some squirrels to shoot.

If I may be so bold I love the shot but it's suffered a bit from the combination of 250mm and 1/30 shutter speed. A tripod would probably help a lot.:smashin:

A tripod would help but the original plan was just a simple walk in a park. If I produced a tripod my wife would have laughed (oh and refused to be anywhere near me).

A tripod would help but the original plan was just a simple walk in a park. If I produced a tripod my wife would have laughed (oh and refused to be anywhere near me).

:rotfl:

I take it back then.:D

Hi
Can I assume all these photos are with "Manual" settings.
As I am always being told FORGET Automatic !!!!!
I am new to my Sony Alpha 100 so have a lot to learn, especially about manual settings.
Cheers.

Hi
Can I assume all these photos are with "Manual" settings.
As I am always being told FORGET Automatic !!!!!
I am new to my Sony Alpha 100 so have a lot to learn, especially about manual settings.
Cheers.

Hi there, I almost always use the aperture setting. This allows me to control the aperture but without having to meter every shot like I would with manual.

Manual mode has it's uses but it's very rare I use it and I bet the majority of other photographers rarely use it too.

Automatic is fine if you are learning, any mode will not help your composition or eye for a shot. However, try using aperture and experimenting.

Hi Dave
Thanks for that tip. I have tried to use the "Manual" settings mode, but seem to have made a complete hash of it.
Perhaps your suggestion of Aperture priority may help me.
I will have a go and see what happens.
I am thinking of joining a local Photo Club, so that the members knowledge could help me considerably.
Cheers.

1 from last April when I first got my A200

dsc00245hf.jpg

NIce :thumbsup:

Jim

Great shot, lovely and sharp.

Your budgie's a bit strange though.

1 from June

dsc0444i.jpg

Sorry about the theme lol that will be Hollolegs fault as I took lots of inspiration from his great shots :smashin:

Some really great shots here folks - haven't seen any i don't like so far.

However I'm not a big fan of "brand specific photo threads" TBH - IMO a camear is a camear and pics should be judged on their relative merit irrespective of which "box" was used - not trying to be contentious or critical here just stating my opinion.

I just think that threads such as this (and others) tend to fragment the viewing/posting of the members and possibly help prevent a wider audience from viewing and appreciating these shots.

Of course YMMV :devil:

Jim

Jim, depends on how you look at it.

All the pics I have posted in this thread have been posted previously in other threads.

Some people may be interested in looking at a brand specific thread, thats how I found Dyxum :smashin:

Jim, depends on how you look at it.

All the pics I have posted in this thread have been posted previously in other threads.

Some people may be interested in looking at a brand specific thread, thats how I found Dyxum :smashin:

Hiya - I do see the "attraction" of such "Brand Specific" threads. It's just that I personally don't like them for the reasons I mentioned - and of course my personality is quite gregarious too ;)

If more posters adopted your approach and posted the shots in the genearla sharing threads as well then I'd have "less" of a issue with it...... "probably" :D

TBH I only really posted because I'd seen some discusion on an existing "Brand Specific" Photo thread - the Panasonic one - which had proposed branching out into additional Panasonic specific discusion threads - the subject matter of which I felt had to be at least partly "generic" in nature.

I just don't really see the point in - for example - say - starting a Monthly Photo Comp. restricted to shots taken on a Sony Alpha (as a daft example of where such "Brand Dedication" could potentially end up.....)

So as I said originally - just expressing my feelings/opinion - and at least I'm an Alpha owner :thumbsup:

Jim

See your point, i look in the panny thread now and then as there is some lovely shots in there but I bet I and many others have missed lots if they have only posted in that thread.

Anyway here's a squirrel
dsc0538.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom