• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

The AVForums Sony Alpha Album

Dave

Distinguished Member
Thought I'd start a thread to showcase the capability of the Alpha's and naturally the people pressing the shutter release.

Anything goes as long as it's taken with an alpha.:thumbsup:

A couple from me to get us going, C&C welcome.

aet3

Established Member
Hi
Can I ask what the camera settings were please.
I have only had my Alpha 100 camera a short while, so have a lot of learning to do.
Cheers.

Dave

Distinguished Member
Hi there, if you click the images and go through to flickr, there is a link on the right hand side which says "more properties" that gives you all of the exif information.

1. Camera: Sony DSLR-A100
Exposure: 0.013 sec (1/80)
Aperture: f/2.0
Focal Length: 50 mm
ISO Speed: 400
Exposure Bias: +1 EV
Flash: Off, Did not fire

2. Camera: Sony DSLR-A100
Exposure: 0.008 sec (1/125)
Aperture: f/4
Focal Length: 120 mm
ISO Speed: 100
Exposure Bias: 0/10 EV
Flash: Flash did not fire

shotokan101

Banned
Yes Dave - I'll say it again - two very nice shots :smashin:

Jim

granty_

Established Member
Ooh now you have unleashed the beast of the Sony Alpha system which we were hiding before as not to embarass the Canikon users! (Joking before a war starts!)

I'll put LOTS up when I have chance...

eeek

Established Member
Yesterday was my first chance to play with my 100-300 apo d since I got it for Christmas. So heres a picture of a squirrel. Its a bit dark but the weather wasn't great.

DSC00389.ARW.jpg

1. Camera: Sony DSLR-A700
Exposure: (1/30)
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 250 mm
ISO Speed: 800
Flash: Off, Did not fire

Last edited:

Dave

Distinguished Member
Nice bokeh, I'd love to have some squirrels to shoot.

If I may be so bold I love the shot but it's suffered a bit from the combination of 250mm and 1/30 shutter speed. A tripod would probably help a lot.:smashin:

eeek

Established Member
Nice bokeh, I'd love to have some squirrels to shoot.

If I may be so bold I love the shot but it's suffered a bit from the combination of 250mm and 1/30 shutter speed. A tripod would probably help a lot.:smashin:

A tripod would help but the original plan was just a simple walk in a park. If I produced a tripod my wife would have laughed (oh and refused to be anywhere near me).

aet3

Established Member
Hi
Can I assume all these photos are with "Manual" settings.
As I am always being told FORGET Automatic !!!!!
I am new to my Sony Alpha 100 so have a lot to learn, especially about manual settings.
Cheers.

Dave

Distinguished Member
Hi
Can I assume all these photos are with "Manual" settings.
As I am always being told FORGET Automatic !!!!!
I am new to my Sony Alpha 100 so have a lot to learn, especially about manual settings.
Cheers.

Hi there, I almost always use the aperture setting. This allows me to control the aperture but without having to meter every shot like I would with manual.

Manual mode has it's uses but it's very rare I use it and I bet the majority of other photographers rarely use it too.

Automatic is fine if you are learning, any mode will not help your composition or eye for a shot. However, try using aperture and experimenting.

aet3

Established Member
Hi Dave
Thanks for that tip. I have tried to use the "Manual" settings mode, but seem to have made a complete hash of it.
Perhaps your suggestion of Aperture priority may help me.
I will have a go and see what happens.
I am thinking of joining a local Photo Club, so that the members knowledge could help me considerably.
Cheers.

shotokan101

Banned
NIce :thumbsup:

Jim

JSW

Prominent Member
1 from June

dsc0444i.jpg

Sorry about the theme lol that will be Hollolegs fault as I took lots of inspiration from his great shots :smashin:

shotokan101

Banned
Some really great shots here folks - haven't seen any i don't like so far.

However I'm not a big fan of "brand specific photo threads" TBH - IMO a camear is a camear and pics should be judged on their relative merit irrespective of which "box" was used - not trying to be contentious or critical here just stating my opinion.

I just think that threads such as this (and others) tend to fragment the viewing/posting of the members and possibly help prevent a wider audience from viewing and appreciating these shots.

Of course YMMV :devil:

Jim

JSW

Prominent Member
Jim, depends on how you look at it.

All the pics I have posted in this thread have been posted previously in other threads.

Some people may be interested in looking at a brand specific thread, thats how I found Dyxum :smashin:

shotokan101

Banned
Jim, depends on how you look at it.

All the pics I have posted in this thread have been posted previously in other threads.

Some people may be interested in looking at a brand specific thread, thats how I found Dyxum :smashin:

Hiya - I do see the "attraction" of such "Brand Specific" threads. It's just that I personally don't like them for the reasons I mentioned - and of course my personality is quite gregarious too ;)

If more posters adopted your approach and posted the shots in the genearla sharing threads as well then I'd have "less" of a issue with it...... "probably" :D

TBH I only really posted because I'd seen some discusion on an existing "Brand Specific" Photo thread - the Panasonic one - which had proposed branching out into additional Panasonic specific discusion threads - the subject matter of which I felt had to be at least partly "generic" in nature.

I just don't really see the point in - for example - say - starting a Monthly Photo Comp. restricted to shots taken on a Sony Alpha (as a daft example of where such "Brand Dedication" could potentially end up.....)

So as I said originally - just expressing my feelings/opinion - and at least I'm an Alpha owner :thumbsup:

Jim

JSW

Prominent Member
See your point, i look in the panny thread now and then as there is some lovely shots in there but I bet I and many others have missed lots if they have only posted in that thread.

Anyway here's a squirrel
dsc0538.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom