The AVF Official Wire(d/less) Sensor Bar Thread (ALL bar discussion here).

• Thread starter Deleted member 380232
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 380232

Some advice please guys. I haven't got my wii yet (HMV messed up the pre-order) but I'm not bitter.

Anyway, I'm also in the next couple of weeks getting a new 42 plasma and it's going on the wall with all the cables hidden. Should I install the sensor bar at the same time and have the cable going behind the tv and through the wall? How does the sensor bar attach to the tv? Blu-tack ? or do youhave it freestanding? The console itself will sit about 1m to the right of the tv (and lower down).

I just want to know whether to wait for my wii to arrive before doing the install.

Ta

It can be freestanding though it also has sticky pads in the base.

Hide the cable.

The sensor bar comes with sticky fixers so you can attach it to the TV. If your TV is wall mounted it would probably be best to stick it on the underside and run the wire through the wall like you said. It has to be placed in the centre of your screen. You could place it below the screen and attach it to something else (or put it on the supplied stand) but it's kinda strange when using the pointer as you'd be pointing at the sensor bar instead of the screen. If the frame of your TV is black then it'll be very inconspicuous.

ive stuck mine to the underside of my plasma

Thanks guys. So how long is the cable and can it be extended? i.e. what kind of connection is at the console end?

The cable is pretty long, over 8ft.

I'd say the cable is about 3m long. It's got a custom connection, like a rectangle with a corner cut out of it, it's easy to make a wireless battery powered one actually, it doesn't need to be connected to the wii at all. There are instructions and links somewhere on this forum.

Thanks - wireless is the only way to fly these days - think i'll try that solution.

something to consider is your wii gets moved around alot. i already played it at work on a 14" portable, at home on my 42" plasma, then to my brothers on his projector and then back to mine, and now i got to bring it back into work again tomorrow to show one of the lads it who wasnt in the other day

so as you can see, its a social console and its gonna be moved alot! so just consider that when thinking about a permanent placement of the bar

yeah i thought about that AFTER i had stuck the sensor bar to the bottom of my TV :rolleyes:

yeah i thought about that AFTER i had stuck the sensor bar to the bottom of my TV :rolleyes:

HAHAHA, same here!

I'm hoping we'll be able to buy a third party wireless one at somepoint in the future!

im not too bothered, ill peel it off to take it to my parents for christmas and then it shouldnt be going anywhere after that.

yeh i stuck the sensor to the bottom of my plasma, but i will be moving it a lot over christmas so will have to get loads of sticky fixers.

on top of the TV it is too high and i can only play stood up, and not sat down, on the stand below the TV it is ok when sat down but too low when stood up.

Therefore the only place for it is on the bottom of the TV making it a pain if i want to take it anywhere.

we need a battery powered one! then the wired one can stay on the TV and the battery one can but used when out and about!

HAHAHA, same here!

I'm hoping we'll be able to buy a third party wireless one at somepoint in the future!

We will, although hopefully it won't be a bar, it'll be two separate small blocks, and they could power off watch batteries and last for years.

i think if ninty made it wireless by default it'd be a huge mistake. we are all used to packing controllers, powerpack, video cable, games and console in our bags to take with us. but i can imagine how many times people would forget to grab the sensor bar because its not hooked up! and if you did take it you might forget to bring it back! or lose it!

My plasma is above the fireplace so it is high up but it is angled forwards slightly. I found I got best results with it on top of the plasma. As long as the front of it is flush with the front of the set, it still works when seated in the sofa. FOr best results I did increase the senstivity.

To fix it to the bottom of the TV set means you would have to use the additional sticky fixings to stick it to the underside, as obviously you cant put the sensor bar upside down to use the sticky pads already on it.

Jonathan

My plasma is above the fireplace so it is high up but it is angled forwards slightly. I found I got best results with it on top of the plasma. As long as the front of it is flush with the front of the set, it still works when seated in the sofa. FOr best results I did increase the senstivity.

To fix it to the bottom of the TV set means you would have to use the additional sticky fixings to stick it to the underside, as obviously you cant put the sensor bar upside down to use the sticky pads already on it.

Jonathan

why not? either way up is no difference

My bad then..I assumed the lens infront wouldn't work as well the other way up....obviously it does! :)

well its only some IR leds so as long as the remote can see the bar it doesn't matter

I am very tempted to order one of these, it works out about £20 inc shipping to UK

wireless-wii-censor-title.jpg

wireless-wii-censor.jpg

http://wirelesssensorbar.com/

awesome..

I was just wondering how I can use the Wii on the projector without moving it from the TV stand!.. that would be perfect!.. I wonder if it works as well as the original?

It looks ugly and bulky, plus 48 hours battery life sounds rather poor considering all it is powering is LEDs.

I heard that you can simply place a couple of infra-red remotes at the wiimote since thats all the sensor bar is anyway. I may be wrong though.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom