1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Animatrix - preview news!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by PoochJD, Apr 29, 2003.

1. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

Having seen the preview of "The Animatrix: The Flight Of The Osiris" at the cinema, I then saw some promotional literature and video advertising the whole series.

The DVD of all 9 mini animated films will be released onto UK DVD, on June 30th, 2003. Sadly, it seems that Warners are only going to give the UK release crummy Stereo Sound, as opposed to the DTS sound that the cinema version comes with, or even DD5.1 or Dolby Stereo Surround. :thumbsdow

Admittedly, there will be plenty of extras, including behind-the-scenes documentaries, trailers, audio commentaries, cast and crew interviews, etc, but the whole package is wrapped up in the terrible, but not unfamiliar, Warner's cardboard snapper case.

Personally, I think I'm going to see what the R1 and R4 versions look like, before parting with my hard-earned! Maybe one of them will have a better audio selection, and come in a proper Amaray DVD case as well!

Let's hope Warner's get their act together, before this DVD hits the streets, because this isn't going to be as good as I had hoped! Damn you, Warners!!! :p

Pooch

2. Splinter

Splinter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh dear. I'm not too fussed about the snapper case but the lack of decent sound may cause me to cancel my pre-order at cd-wow.

Cd-wow have neglected to give any info on the audio on the disc - wether this is because it hasn't been confirmed yet or they've conveniently left it off I dunno.

3. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the R1 is listed as DD5.1 on play where I have it on preorder

4. Lux

Lux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm sure the R2 will have DD5.1 as well. why would they give us 2.0 only??
    And the release date is June 3rd (for UKR2)!
    can't wait!!
    Final flight is absolutely brilliant, don't ya think?
    Shame that dreamcatcher is not good.

5. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Lux,

The reason why Warner's would happily give us Dolby Stereo is obvious - because it's cheaper for them to do so, and because Warner's don't exactly seem to care too much about Customer's opinion's of their DVD's! (e.g. cardboard snapper cases; extras-free discs, etc).

Not to mention the whole DVD rental/retail debacle that they are still engaging in!

As such, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if we DIDN'T get DD5.1. However, I'd much prefer DTS which is what all the films have been made with!

Pooch

6. Lux

Lux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    To be honest I'm quite happy with Warner. yes the snappers are a problem. Audio and video is usually great. extras can be of a problem with backcatalogues.
    As for the rental/retail debate (which Fox has also joined)
    Customers can only win. warner prices have come down significantly (new releases often only cost 17.99 or even 15.99 rrp) and fos is going that road as well. So for me this is greta news.

As for DTS..well I'd like to have DTS as well. check on HTF for more on that.

Oh and I don't think it will be much cheaper for them to give us 2.0 then 5.1. plus as they are one of the studios who give us the same DVDs as R1 I don't worry.
    HTH

7. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,977
    According to the official UK press release it has DD5.1, where are you getting the stereo sound from Pooch. It comes out the same day as the US version, and we should have a review copy in a few weeks.

8. Marv

Marv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    Yeah the R2 definatly has DD5.1 and Warner Bros have never put a DTS mix on any of there dvds.

9. Underscore

Underscore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I totally agree. More to the point, what proportion of people rewatch (or even watch at all) the extras? I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of DVDs that I own with good, interesting extras that I have watched more than once. What I would like to see is for the basic release of movies to have a decent OAR transfer and a high-bitrate DD5.1 soundtrack, with a second disc (in the Collector's Edition for a couple of quid more) with extras. I would buy the single disc version almost every time... unless it were in a snapper!

_

10. Splinter

Splinter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well my Warner Brothers True romance DC has DTS, so they are capable of it.

11. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,977
    Warners dropped the dts technology after a few early releases (lethal weapons) because their technicians said they didn't sound any better than Dolby. However there are a few conspiracy stoies that Dolby was behind that certain press release.

12. Lux

Lux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    But that is not due to Warner but because of Morgan Creek or some other producer company. (that's at least what I got from the discussion on HTF)

13. Lithian

Lithian
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What are us folk to do?

For me it would be more conveniet to have R2 (a lot of friends have expressed interest in the animatrix)

But i would pick 5.1 sound over friends any day (even if it is just DD)

I have already cancelled my pre-order of the R2 at cd-wow... should i go and put it back on?

Or shall we just wait...

hmm, dont know what to dooo! :confused:

14. Lux

Lux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    didn't even know that cdwow have the R2. I was to get the R2 from splash for 11.99 but as cdwoiw have it for that price as well I'll get it from them (as faster delivery) plus with that little trick one can get it for ...let me check...10.57. not too bad. I'll get it from them then.
    I don't see why I should shell out more for an identical R1(even though we might get that one earlier then the R2) And maybe the R2 fromplay is in fact R4 and amaray??

15. cerebus

cerebus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Warner do put dts on discs as all the special releases they rereleased last year proved ie Interview with a Vamp and other.

Hopefully they will continue to do so.

16. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,977

No they wont unfortunetly. Vampire was amongst those discs they tried the technology on, before dumping it very quickly, saying it was not a good enough for their products, as it was not thought to be better than dolby.

17. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

Okay, thanks for the feedback folks. My info, was taken from a preview DVD sleeve that we were sent (where I worked) for the "Dreamcatcher" cinema release, which "The Animatrix: Flight Of The Osiris" is currently playing. On the sleeve, it said clearly Dolby Stereo.

I also have a DVD trailer for it, which also stated that the sound was to be Dolby 2.0 stereo. Hence, my conclusion.

As for whether or not Warner's should include DTS, I believe that regardless of whether they personally believe it is or isn't better than DD 5.1, they should still include the DTS soundtrack, as that is what the series was filmed with.

Also, "The Animatrix" is not a back-catalogue title, so Warner's can't use the excuse for not putting a decent effort into making their titles more priceworthy. After all, we're paying the similar amount of money for their discs, as some companies (e.g. Columbia Tristar) charge for a double-disc title, with tons of extras and DTS sound as well!

Finally, regardless of what Warner's have or haven't done in the past on other releases, "The Animatrix" is going to be a really big seller for them, and it frustrates and annoys me that they put so little effort into giving the customer more for their money.

I'm certainly going to wait before purchasing this, because I simply don't trust Warner's enough, to risk pre-ordering this disc. And I bet (proverbially, speaking of course) a million pounds, that a DTS version will come out, with a load more extras, to tie-in with "The Matrix Revolutions" (is that what part 3 is called?)!

Pooch

18. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What's not clear to me is if the extras on R1, R2 and R4 will be identical. Anyone have anything to report on that please?

19. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,977