The Angry Birds Movie Review & Comments

Saw it yesterday and hated it. It just irritated me all the way through.

My 8 year old and his friend loved it though.

OK brought the kids to see this today and I have to admit it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. Kids loved it and I laughed at all the adult jokes that went completely over their heads (the Lake of Wisdom was very well done). From about 5 minutes in I could see the whole story so it was entirely predictable but no less fun.

The characters were good. Liked Red a lot and and a fair few adults will recognise their own anger issues (and eyebrows maybe) in him. For some reason he reminded me of Brian in Family Guy which is not a bad thing. Chuck was entertaining but in fairness I saw Chuck but heard Olaf.... Well matched soundtrack.

As for a rating. From an adults point of view it's probably a 6 or 7. From a kids it's a 9 or 10 so I'll settle on 8. I may enjoy the next few months off as once this comes into the house on Blu-ray it'll be watched multiple times a week.

I bought my 5,4 and 2 1/2 year old to it on Sunday. 2 1/2 year old, as standard, fell asleep but the £5 extra for the family ticket was worth giving my wife 3 hours of undisturbed time to herself.

I quite enjoyed it, decent score, some annoying moments but quite enjoyed the character development (within reason) it's nice to know why Red is angry and also about the other characters that are in the game.

In term's of score, well, this is really going to be a good test of your subwoofer. One character, the big fat red one, cannot remember his name basically speaks in seriously low frequencies, with volume!

When I first saw the trailer my initial impression was NO! there is no way they can make a film out of the angry birds game.

But how wrong was I, before going to watch it, I really wasn't expecting much, in fact I was expecting it to be down right terrible.

How wrong was I, it was funny, lots of adult gags in it that the kids wouldn't get, colourful, and a nice simple story, besides expecting it to be bad I also wanted to watch a fun kids film with a nice simple plot and that's exactly what I got, something daft, happy and fun to escape the real world for an hour and a half. Sad as I am I will definitely be buying it on 3D Bluray when it comes available. A lot of lovable characters, a lot of campiness, this is what the minions movie should have been more like.

I would give it 8 out of 10, and no doubt Angry birds will become one of everyone's guilty pleasures, just for the vivid colours, characters, and all round family entertainment value of the movie.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom