The Amstrad 1TB Box - Do you think the best so far?

Chadford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had my 1TB box for about a month now. After going through several boxes (Thomson, early Amstrad etc...), this is by far the best of the bunch - by a long way. :smashin:

1) It hasn't put a foot wrong since being plugged in.
2) SD 10/10.
3) HD 10/10.
4) No lip sync problems.
5) Quiet.
6) Smaller and more attractive box.
7) LEDs on the front less intrusive.
8) Super fast - the only box I've had that handles the new EPG properly.
9) Big HDD without needing to go the DIY route.

Anyone agree or not? :)

Last edited:
I was going to ask that but I think its still in the developing stages so at the moment im not considering it as yet.

much better box so far, it is so much quieter than the thomson whose fan was on all the time and was very loud. Tis box the fan only comes on now and again and its quiet and the hard drive only gives a faint click. The box is very stable and i have had no crashes or failed recorcings and i can leave anytime on as it doesnt crash the box like it did on the thomson.

I was going to ask that but I think its still in the developing stages so at the moment im not considering it as yet.

I wouldn't know about that, but It's the first box I've owned that feels like a polished product. I'd jump in and get one. :smashin:

Can anyone who has had the previous Amstrad 500gb confirm if the interlacing is any better?

:thumbsup: 2 months now, absolutely no glitches or problems at all. :thumbsup:

By far the best box yet.

I wish I could say the same, but.....

1) First box was "Dead On Arrival" (would not come out of standy)
2) Replacement box has issues - firstly it cannot record 2 channels at once (and before you ask, both feeds appear fine in setup and yes I am not viewing a third channel at the same time, etc). Secondly, I am losing the digital audio out when switching between SD and HD channels, which is a real pain (and was never a problem on my old box).

PQ is good but can't say any better than my Thomson HD box was. Planner navigation is much quicker (which I would expect) and it's relatively quiet.

All in all very poor indeed. Am phoning Sky tonight to get this swapped out (again) or get a full refund and will re-connect my Thomson box. :thumbsdow

All in all very poor indeed. Am phoning Sky tonight to get this swapped out (again) or get a full refund and will re-connect my Thomson box. :thumbsdow

Very disappointing, I guess you've been unlucky - I'd persist until you've got a box you're happy with. :)

I've had mine for less than a day but it gets 10/10 from me so far.
Had a Thomson box for the last few years with 500g HD and upgraded PSU and this beats it hands down.
The speed of the epg is loads better and changing channels too.
I was a bit concerned about folks saying the SD pic quality isnt as good as other boxes but it looks slightly better to me.

mines making a slight cracking/buzzing noise?
gonna give it a few days then i'll be on to sky about it.

The box is great.

I have experienced a singleproblem - that was picture / sound drop outs on recordings and sometimes on live TV. Following the large thread concerning this issue, it seems the fix was to turn the other multiroom SKY HD box off at the mains when it is not being used. I haven't noticed a single flicker or pixellation since doing that. Fingers crossed that is a permanent fix.

The other box is hardly used, but sometimes it is nice to have the telly on in the bedroom. Just a flick of the switch is needed.

:)

Just to update:

It has been a week now since I started turning the multi room Sky HD box off at the mains.

This has completely resolved ALL picture and sound drop out issues. The problem really was some kind of interference with the Thompson box.

For the first time since I joined HD some years ago, I am not experiencing any picture drop outs or pixellations (my Thompson box always had the odd picture drop out on most recordings).

I'm dead pleased.

:D

mines making a slight cracking/buzzing noise?
gonna give it a few days then i'll be on to sky about it.

Yep my first one had this! Did my head in!! :mad: Got it swapped for a new one and whilst its better you can still hear the hard drive 'working' when watching or recording somthing. I think it maybe because there is no fan noise that I can hear it. Also the hard drive is near the top of the case as well.

This one is better and I think maybe its all in my head (and that I am going mad! :D) as I do tend to try and hear it rather than just watch TV!!

In terms of the box itself though I concur its very quick on the EPG, no crashes or picture break ups and HD looks ace!:smashin:

What I may do is put it in my AV cupboard rather than on top to 'hide' the sound...

9/10 for me. The only gripe being HDD noise, especially when dual recording\playing. Mine is in an open rack, so no way of masking it. Roll on 1.5Tb solid state drives. :)

9/10 for me. The only gripe being HDD noise, especially when dual recording\playing. Mine is in an open rack, so no way of masking it. Roll on 1.5Tb solid state drives. :)

Mines pretty good, the odd click but not much at all, can't say I'm ever distracted by the HDD. I guess it's quite subjective as to what is annoying though.

To the guy who is having probs recording two channels at the same time have you tried a planner rebuild ? I was having the same probs till i did one today with mine.

is the 1TB amstrad box the same as the 500Gb standard HD box? or is it newer model?

Quick 'slight off topic' question...

If I want to put mine in a closed cupboard what do I need to get the remote signal to work in terms of an IR extender!?

Thanks

The Amstrad 1.5tB receiver, with 1tB personal storage, is smaller and better designed than the Samsung 500gB receiver, with 250gB personal storage.

Any IR Extender, that you can find by the usual method of a Google search, will control your receiver from the original remote without line of sight.

I have had the amstrad drx 890 now for about 2 weeks,to be honest i am not happy with the pq on SD looks like somones smeard vasaline on the tv,and the pq on HD is ok,it is definately not as sharp as my old pace v4 that this box has replaced,tried to get a pace box last week but all he had were the amstrads on his van,tried one pq was the same.Wish i still had my pace:mad:SD & HD were great on that box pitty it kept shutting itself off:smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom