1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Amp or the Speakers ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by monkeyleader, May 3, 2004.

1. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Hey all,

A bit of advice needed - I've got a Yamaha DSP A 620 and I need some advice on the sound setup. When i have the DSP set to any of the movie modes the background music sounds very echoey. Althought the rears Im using are the ones that came with the TV when I stick it on entertainment mode then can blast our a fair old sound ... also in some movies in Movie mode the surround (ie explosions and gunfire ) isnt too bad .. it seems to be music that it suffers from the most - Moulain Rouge is a classic example ...

Any ideas if its the Amp, the speakers or indeed some tweaking that I need to do ?

Nigel

2. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,510
    DSP modes usually just add a bit of echo, or rebverb, etc and aren't worth bothering with in my opinion.

3. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Surley they do .. if i stick it under movie mode i get the main speech from the center speaker .. and the surround from the rears .. if i stick it on entertainment i get the speech from the rears and the center and it kinda ruins the surround a bit ... Another thing I've noticed - I've got a chipped XBOX and I've backed up a few of my (personally owned) DVDs .. on movie DSP they play really well .. perhaps its the DVD player .. although I doubt it ...

4. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,510
    if you use normal 5.1, then the speech will comem from the centre channel anyway.

5. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    So there is defo a problem with something on my system. I was over home the other week and my bro had said about not using the DSP options and just pump out the normal 5.1 which I've now done .. was watching XXX last nite which has thumping background muiic which comes out of my rears quiet and echoed - and from the center speaker the cast are actually shouting which would work if the music was coming from the rears at a correct level. However get some action on the pipe and the speakers seem to cope quite well ... I wonder would somwwhere like SevenOaks let me take my amp down to test some speakers out ? I dont want to purchase new speakers if its a fault with the amp ?

Nige