1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Amityville Horror 2005

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by raigraphixs, Apr 14, 2005.

1. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,033
  2. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Going to try and catch it tomorrow - hoping it's at least better than Ring 2.

3. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    It says it is based on a true story. But watching the trailer they seemed to have used more than a bit of creative enterprise! ;)

4. dubledene

dubledene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    actualy its based(very loosely) on a couple of murders in new york at the house! ive got the original dvd boxset which has the story behind the film which ill watch when i get in!

5. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +867
  6. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    So not spooky at all, just some psycho nut on the rampage.

7. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Well the remake relies on a) jumps and b) Ryan Reynolds trying to be "spooky"

It's not actually too bad - made me jump once, but out of quite a few attempts, I guess that's something. Now just have to wait for my boxset to arrive for comparrison, as I haven't seen the original in a LONG time.

8. dubledene

dubledene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    watched the original last night not bad not bad at all

9. dave1de

dave1de

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Actual it was the dad that slaughterd his wife and kids in the house, and then the family that moved in aftewards said it was haunted, althought i thought it was proven just to be a money maker??

10. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    just watched it, what a ripoff from other movies

Start with Amityville 1 but remove the nudity, add the scary little girl and the cupboard scenes and the running shadows and the plumbing from the grudge, add the axe from the shining, and end up with Amityville 2005

11. videonasty

videonasty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    The 1st hour is OK, but the final third is sh**e :eek: What the hell was that guy with the hat all about? :thumbsdow :suicide:

12. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    I always thought that the couple were exposed as frauds and that they made up the story in order to sell it and pay off their huge debts.

13. robyoung

robyoung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65

really!? wow, well they did a good job of it! Surely there must be some evidence/reports of the murders before they moved in? Anyone find anything concrete on this???

I remember reading the book when i was about 10 and being very scared. I saw the film yesterday and to be honest it was ok, but nothing special. I couldnt Pinpoint what exactly it was that was wrong with it, i wasn't particularly scared, ok it made me jump but any film can do that. It just didnt seem to induce fear in me, i suppose cos you know
    that none of the family die
    it kinda ruins the threat.

However I did think Ryan Reynolds did ok in playing against type, the kids were a bit annoying (as usual!) and the little girl was very unoriginal.

Rob

14. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,544
    I thought that the original story was od a disturbed young man with a crappy home life who eventually went completely bonkers and shot his mum, dad and sisters in their beds while they slept. He then told the police that one of the local gangsters did it, then he said it was his sister then he said he did it in self defence (he was a paranoid schizo so he thought everyone was outt o get him), which was more in line with the truth. Eventually found guilty in court of all the murders and now resides in prison. After the killings a happy young family buy the house and claim that it is haunted and all sorts of nasties happen while they were there and... KACHING!!! We have a movie franchise!

15. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Shodan

You're thinking of Amityville 3: the Possession which was nothing to do with the original story although it was a MUCH better film than the first one.

16. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Amityville 2: the Possesion is the prequil to Amityville, and shows the lead up to the shooting
    Amityville 3: 3-D is the third in the series

17. misterkraig

misterkraig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thius new remake was complete and utter drivel. The only saving grace was the nice scope photography, the house looked good, some effects were good and Ryan Reynolds was good as George Lutz (still no way as good as Brolin.

The bad points - too sort, no Lalo Schrifin score, stupid 'hollywood' creepy kid syndrome there was I belive no Jodie Defeo and the worst point was the disgraceful over editing. The film jumped from the first day intil about a fortnight later!! The priest was desperately underused.

A real shame as I was looking forward to it as the first big film (to me) this year. I pray Hitchhikers will be good.

If you want a decent Amityville buy MGM's special edition (see my review) or if you are in the mood for a fun tacky horror go for Amityville Dollhouse, I picked it up somewhere(I forget where) for 3 quid!!!

18. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Watched the original in New York in 1979 in a cinema filled with people laughing out loud at the screen. Even twenty-six years ago this film was considered formulaic, cliche-ridden and moronic beyond belief, with the production values of the average made-for-TV movie.

The night before we'd checked out a movie we'd never heard of, expecting another "Star Wars" rip-off. Brown trouser time - it was "Alien". Imagine the impact of seeing that movie completely unhyped, at the time of its release.

Made "Amityville" all the more lame by comparison. Given that re-makes today tend to dumb down the original, gawd knows what the 2005 version will be like.

As for the first poster that claims it has been warmly received in the US, have you actually clicked on the Rotten Tomatoes link that you attached? They give it a 26% rating - far from a warm reception...

19. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,544
    Actually I was talking about what I'd read after an hour or so of Googling! :eek:

Either a VERY good conspiracy bull poo story or what I read was true and the line between real life and fiction becomes blurred once again.... :D

20. BrunnenMatt

BrunnenMatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Saw the movie last Thursday night and enjoyed it. The little girl on the roof had me laughing but thought it was worth while, most people in the theatre seem like their enjoyed the movie when their left the cinema.

...BMatt

21. cosaw

cosaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    For anyone interested in the origin of the story and what the truths really may be a good place to start is Ed and Louraine Warren's website - the demonologists who investigated the original case:

http://www.warrens.net/amityvill.htm

It debates from the Warrens point of view the Hoax versus Truth question.

Never liked the films much but the book was quite scarry when I was in my teens - I don't read many books but found it enjoyable.

Simon