Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

The Americanization Of The Battle Of Britain?????

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Garrett, Sep 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,669
    I was reading an article in the paper yesterday that they are proposing a film called The Few which is to star Tom Cruise and may be about how the Americans won the Battle of Britain.

The Battle was fought over Britain between the 10th July and 31st October 1940 the Americans did not come in to the war till Pearl Harbor December 7, 1941.:rolleyes:

2. Sick Note

Sick Note

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Didn´t you all know that the whole universe was created by an American!!
    Yet more proof of them bending the truth to make themselves look less crap and useless than they really are

3. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    America certainly wasn't fighting the war then, but they were risking their own lives and ships by sending us countless munitions and aid. Without them, we'd all be speaking German or at least live in the nazi's shadow.

But yes, highly arrogant of them. Everyone should know by now that everything in America is for sale, including dignity and honour. Just look at Swarzeneggers electoral campaign ;)

Personally i take everything hollywood produces with a pinch of salt. Look at braveheart, u-571, pearl harbour, titanic, the patriot and many others. If it's historical accuracy you are after, don't goto the movies :)

4. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,669
    Which they charged us for and put us deep in dept but that is a subject I suppose for General Chat what I’m on about is the film industry re-writing history with their films. They do a disservice to the brave people who fought in that battle.

The trouble is the majority of Americans like us, but are not given a lot of facts beyond their own boundaries so when they go to the pictures and see these films, they may think it is the truth.

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know of one American who thinks the Jewish Halocaust didn't happen; the piles of bodies were dolls. Basically just made up for TV.

Bloody idiot. Stupid as well. You have to spell everything out.

Oh yeah he also thinks the US were the only country that stood up to Germany.:rolleyes:

6. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Lets make a film about the british making it ot the moon in 69, and see how the yanks react.

The Americans never won us (the world) the war. I think we have the russians to thank more than any other nation.

7. Iam

Iam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Although I largely agree with all the above, there were a few US volunteers fighting with the RAF during the Battle - not just Ben Afleck prior to Pearl Harbour either. Likewise there were Canadians & Poles, & probably some other nationals, as shown in the classic B of B film.

8. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,664
    Further to Iam's post, the film is about one of the two BOB Eagle squadrons that were active throughout the Battle and the following "circus" sweeps over France in 1941 before being repatriated into the USAAF. I have no doubt that the film will massively overstate their importance but there is a kernel of truth in the whole thing.

9. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    IIRC the film is actually about an American athlete who refused to go to the Berlin Olympics in '36 due to the Nazi propaganda and came over to the UK to support us during the aerial onslaught. He got shot in a sortie and managed to nurse his plane back to the airfield, knowing how important it was to try and keep his plane intact, unfortunately after landing whilst getting out it exploded tragically killing him. He was the first US casualty of the 2nd WW. I think the idea is it's a twist on "Owed so much by so many to so few"

I dont think even US based directors and producers could condone a film showing American Pilots being responsible for winning the BoB.

There are some howlers but let's face it THEY'RE JUST FILMS!!

Steve

10. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Exactly - it's not supposed to be a history lesson - it's just entertainment designed to keep your bum on a seat for two hours.

My english mate always spits about how misrepresented the English are in 'Braveheart' and refuses to watch it. I watch it on the other hand becuase I enjoy it as a film and nothing else - I don't care about how historically accurate it is - it's just entertainment - if I wanted a history lesson then I'd buy a book on the subject or something.

11. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    As Steve says, there were about 3 American pilots flying for us in the BoB. This film is based on the life of one of these, and from what I've read in the Telegraph last week about it, he's a very interesting character.

Although I must also agree that there's no excuse for Americanising the BoB. There are thousands of other Britons who fought and should be represented more fairly IMHO.

Then again, as has just been said; it's a movie and is only really made to make money and entertain us which I'm sure it has plenty of potential for.

12. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    It's a only a film ***!

If you want historical accuracy watch The Discovery or History Channel.

Hollywood have been doing this for years.
    They're in the entertainment business NOT factual documanteries

They've got the resources to make such films, we (the UK) haven't, so they're entitled to make 'em how they want, that's all there is to it.

Good luck to 'em is what I say, we all enjoy the films and buy the DVDs.

13. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,135
    Regarding the actual film, i hope they use real aircraft a lot more than the CGI stuff (maybe replicas etc). Although the engish channel dogfight scenes in PH were pretty exciting, i still dont think they've quite got there yet, to make them look 'real'

14. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,669
    Tell that face to face with a survivor of that battle.

15. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    its the only time the amercians win a battle is in a film they cant do it in real life just look at iraq vietnam korea

16. mikeq

mikeq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Misrepresented? in what way. They came up here and kicked our arses:D

17. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You should not have turned back at york.. you could have hit london

18. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    Bit unfair on the Yanks this statement. I can't think of any country which has been to war in another country and won since 1945. :confused: The Israelis won a couple of short battles in the 60's against the Egyptians and Britain took back the Faulklands, but this couldn't be called a successful invasion of Argentina either! Driving a few enemy divisions out of disputed territory (like Faulklands or Kuwait in 1991) doesn't count.

Sure, USA lost in Korea and Vietnam and are having a crap time in Iraq - but the Russians lost in Afganistan, so did the French in Korea & Britain lost Rhodesia to the locals in 1970(ish). These days it is almost impossible to invade and totally conquer any country: international outcry over vicious tactics like those that worked in WW2 make bombing civilians to win offside these days.

Dropping nukes Hiroshima/Nagasaki style is also not feasible anymore (thank the Lord!)

19. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,664
    I agree although technically the old USSR carried out regieme changes to Hungary and Czechaslovakia. In addition, the US has invaded Grenada and Haita "successfully" (with Haiti its always hard to tell) and there is of course the eventual removal of Slobodan Milosevic by NATO at the turn of the century.
    Back on subject- if a film about an Eagle Squadron is done well, there is nothing to stop it being an excellent and engrossing picture. Let us hope that they can avoid any high camp English villians or an over portrayal of their role. This I believe could be do-able. I did watch Tigerland recently and was reminded that US companies can do good combat films. Sometimes.

20. JonathanKnight

JonathanKnight
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wonder if the film will have lots of friendly fire incidents. You always get those when you have the yanks on your side. ;)
    Good job there were not too many yanks in the BoB or the Germans might have won :laugh:

21. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I was chatting to a us bird (no, not like that) she never knew that the uk was still in Iraq. She never knew that you had sufferd terrorism from the IRA, just went on about 9-11. I said many people from around the world was killed in those towers. It was the uk's biggest lose of life to one terrorist attack ever.

She replied by calling brits chickens and F/off

They are crazy

22. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Keanyboy, that last post has just made me the saddest I've been all month.

It's awful that there are people who are that uninterested in the world around them.

Everyone agrees that 9/11 was a tragedy, but not to know about the IRA who'd been terrorising people (admittedly mainly military) for decades. Fortunately they've taken a step back since they don't want to be associated with the current "wave" of anti-western terrorism.

23. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    I heard something funny, can't remember who or when it was but it goes something as follows,

A British person went over to the USA and met a couple in a shop. The lady of the couple said to him, "wow, you have a strange accent where are you from?". To which the Brit replied, "I'm from Britain". The lady turned to her husband and muttered, "Did you know they spoke English in Britain."

That, for me, encapsulates the United States of America in one passage.

24. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,669
    Guys, guys the thread is about the film industry re-writing history not taking a pop at the Americans.

25. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Shame on the lot of you...read this
    244 pilots makes a bit of a mockery of the "1 or 2" dosen't it...:rolleyes:
    And 77 killed...I think you should all publicly apolagise on this board here and now...:lesson:

26. rhoamish

rhoamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd agree that on the whole, it doesn't matter if a film is historically accurate or not. However, the problem at the moment is that virtually every war film that comes out of Hollywood comprehensively rewrites history, and presents it as 'fact'. That's OK for people who know a bit of history, but it's not so good for the people who take the films at face value.

History is, I think, an important subject: you can learn a lot from the past and avoid pitfalls that others have made. Hollywood at present seems to treat history with something approaching contempt.

They're only films, but to some people, they're also their only contact with historical stories.

27. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    Did the 7 British die from American "Friendly Fire" :laugh:

77 yanks dying doesn't equate, at least in my book, to a film about how the USA won the Battle of Britain though.

Having said that however, i wasn't aware any yanks were even involved. I was under the impression they only went to war with the Nazi's because they were sick of getting all their supply ships sunk, and they were forced into a corner. Or was it because they declared war on the Japs, and then the Nazi's declared war on the USA???

I did a geography GCSE instead of a history one :zonked:

28. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It was directly due to Pearl Harbour. There were repercussions from WWI as well...where the Germans thought it would be a good idea to sink anything that floated - including American passenger liners. Something like 100 000 American civilians were killed by nazi U boats when they sank cruise liners...

29. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    A truely terrible tragedy, both world wars. Let's hope G.W. Bush doesn't take us all into a third one.

May god have mercy on his soul.

30. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    I just realised something Garratt. You Americanised the spelling of Americanised, by spelling it with a "Z". Americanized.

hehe :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.