The Amazing Spider-Man 3D Blu-ray Review

Tech News

News Supplying Robot
Too soon?

It was a risky move rebooting Spiderman so quickly after the close of the last trilogy. This wasn’t just another ‘Hulk’ scenario, where there was some justification in rebooting the series to get it right – Raimi’s original 2000 Spiderman had been one of the first great successes for Marvel and, alongside X-Men, set the benchmark for superhero blockbusters for years to come.

Notwithstanding Spiderman 3’s critical panning, rumours were that Raimi was planning an epic fourth film. Alas, he was unceremoniously dismissed and a reboot was announced, much to the chagrin of many of the franchise’s followers. Beyond this outrage, and the overt money-grabbing motivations of the Studios – and, of course, if you can get past the often-familiar ‘origins’ plot – 2012’s The Amazing Spider-Man is actually pretty good; fresher...

Read the full review...

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
Peter Parker was good in this but too much of various character's behaviour didn't make sense which left very good actors struggling to fit into the roles.
Shortcuts in scripting.

Dan201

Im not a fan of Spiderman himself, such a weasal.

I found the film itself very cliched with its characters, especially the whole high school bully situation.

Did we miss some scenes where the bully changed? Because it seemed in one scene he was a total git, the next he was a great guy.

A film like this needs 3D. Its the one thing that makes it worth seeing in my opinion.

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
thanks for the review Cas, i actually saw this in 3D at the cinema, the crane shots wow..but i felt most the film didnt really benefit from the 3D at the time, however i was left expecting more i guess. Ii have had the 2D steelbook received today. I did enjoy the reboot of the film and was genuinely hacked off over Sam Raimi departure from the spider-man projects.

I do intend on picking up the 3d version though, as I nearly always buy the 3D/2D combos to future proof myself

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
Great film, watched today and loved it.

The whole bully thing I git from the off, very well acted IMO, the guy clearly had issues as most real bullies do, the way he was talked down in the beginning showed he had issues. I also liked the fact Parker wasn't so geeky, that's not the only reason people get bullied its an American stereotype. In my school geeks weren't bullied it was more kids like me that weren't good at socializing that were picked on, Parker was clearly just not good at the social side and didn't care, he wasn't fat, slow or a scrawny kid with glasses, he just dint follow the social side of things and was clearly shy, likely due to the loss of his parents.

I thought Parker in this film was better and very well played, most the characters seemed more three dimensional to me than in the previous films.
I loved the way he honed his skills too, loved the comedy in the previous film but this seemed more how Id imagine him doing it.

There were some bits that seemed rushed, maybe more on his relationship with the bully may have helped there, but I guess the film is only so long. I don't get the bit when he got bitten, made him look stupid and questioned the security of such an important part of the lab. Imo guessing he got lucky too as all test subjects up to then died. Maybe I missed something.

Mid way towards the end seemed more and more rushed to me sadly but I guess so much time was spent at the beginning, which I liked so can't really complain I guess.
The film just seemed more gritty and real to me than the first Superman, much like the last Batman movies, yet at the same time was more accurate to the comic.
There were some issues like why would lizards go underground where its cold and wet when they need heat to be active, but its a film based on a comic with some rather dubious science like most films so shouldn't be so picky I guess, its a film designed to take you away from reality rather than remind you of it.

Some of the CGI wasn't great but where it mattered I think it worked well enough.
The 3D wasn't great but I downloaded it from PSN so maybe it wasn't the best quality.
I also watched it in the day.
Think I'll put it on again now, will be putting it on my Christmas wish list lol, not sure if the 3D is worth the extra fiver though if I do endup buying it.

Loved this film, loved the last Batman and Dredd too....oh and great review.:)

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
thanks for the review Cas, i actually saw this in 3D at the cinema, the crane shots wow..but i felt most the film didnt really benefit from the 3D at the time, however i was left expecting more i guess. Ii have had the 2D steelbook received today. I did enjoy the reboot of the film and was genuinely hacked off over Sam Raimi departure from the spider-man projects.

I do intend on picking up the 3d version though, as I nearly always buy the 3D/2D combos to future proof myself

Loved the Sam Raimi films but think I prefer the re-boot style if honest, just a taste thing, the previous films were excellent but didn't have the grit if you know what I mean, hard to explain.

ODB_69

Distinguished Member
Despite seeing the previous 3 I haven't liked the character and pretty much wrote Spider-Man off. Yeah some great scenes, great effects etc but I couldn't stand the the guy playing him and just didnt invest in any part of it, only Venom held ny interest out of the whole franchise

Watched new one last week and totally changed my mind over the whole thing, I really liked it, thought the kid was spot on and missing the arrogance of the previous version, playing the cocky teen with powers perfectly. Hope they make more now

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
Loved the Sam Raimi films but think I prefer the re-boot style if honest, just a taste thing, the previous films were excellent but didn't have the grit if you know what I mean, hard to explain.

there's deffo a 3 dimensions to the characters in this one, and it does have a sprinkle of the gritty realism of the Nolan batman films. it still makes me laugh that he becomes an excellent seamstress to make his perfect suit. im off work today and my neighbour has gone to work, so might crack this up properly to see how the soundtrack is..(had to watch on low levels last night)

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
there's deffo a 3 dimensions to the characters in this one, and it does have a sprinkle of the gritty realism of the Nolan batman films. it still makes me laugh that he becomes an excellent seamstress to make his perfect suit. im off work today and my neighbour has gone to work, so might crack this up properly to see how the soundtrack is..(had to watch on low levels last night)

Yeah amazing job, will give him something to fall back on in later years lol.
I can't comment on the sound, my 5:1s packed away:(.

Nevaborn

Well Im not sure how many of you read the comics so Ill try and shed bit of light.

For the most part this was spot on to the comics even down to the original design of the Lizard ( however I prefer longer snout and more teeth )

They could of gone less pathetic with Lizard and more tragic like when him eating his son and it tormenting his human self.

Only 4 real issues with the film that Im disappointed in.

1) relationship between uncle Ben and Peter wasn't as deep or meaningful as it should of been. I personally never felt the emotional pull when he died in this film.

2) Identity, Peter has gone to ridiculous lengths to hide his identity to protect those he loves yet in this film he cant help but tell people at the drop of a hat he is Spider-man.

3) Peter Parker is one of the 6 smartest men on Earth along with Dr.Doom, Iron-Man, Mr. fantastic, Black Panther, The Leader. ...... HOWEVER in the film he may change the delivery method but his webbing is just stolen Oscorp wire tech and nobody notices ?

His webbing is meant to dissolve but wire wouldn't lol.

4) he lies to captain Stacey and continues to see Gwen. This jerk attitude is unlike Peter Parker, however this being a young portrayal perhaps he wont become the man in the comics until he suffers his next great loss.

As for the bully issue. Its complicated.

Flash Thompson and Peter Parker were childhood friends but as they got older they drifted apart, Flash becoming and athlete and Peter a scientist.

Flash's new position in the Highscool as a star football player came with it a lot of peer pressure and he was forced to be a guy he wasn't at heart. The sincerity he showed after the death of uncle Ben was genuine.

Later Flash joined the military and in an accident lost his legs. He was called up for a project to serve his country again and is serving with the Venom symbiote as Agent Venom with the symbiote creating legs for him.

Flash and Peter have now rekindled their friendship away from the childish pressure of school both older and wiser.

* exhausted *

BRW

Great review. Have to say - not a big spiderman fan, old or new or comics. However if it's won you over, Cas, then I may well reconsider.

Nevaborn said:
Well Im not sure how many of you read the comics so Ill try and shed bit of light.

For the most part this was spot on to the comics even down to the original design of the Lizard ( however I prefer longer snout and more teeth )

They could of gone less pathetic with Lizard and more tragic like when him eating his son and it tormenting his human self.

1) relationship between uncle Ben and Peter wasn't as deep or meaningful as it should of been. I personally never felt the emotional pull when he died in this film.

2) Identity, Peter has gone to ridiculous lengths to hide his identity to protect those he loves yet in this film he cant help but tell people at the drop of a hat he is Spider-man.

3) Peter Parker is one of the 6 smartest men on Earth along with Dr.Doom, Iron-Man, Mr. fantastic, Black Panther, The Leader. ...... HOWEVER in the film he may change the delivery method but his webbing is just stolen Oscorp wire tech and nobody notices ?

4) he lies to captain Stacey and continues to see Gwen. This jerk attitude is unlike Peter Parker, however this being a young portrayal perhaps he wont become the man in the comics until he suffers his next great loss.

Flash Thompson and Peter Parker were childhood friends but as they got older they drifted apart, Flash becoming and athlete and Peter a scientist.

Flash's new position in the Highscool as a star football player came with it a lot of peer pressure and he was forced to be a guy he wasn't at heart. The sincerity he showed after the death of uncle Ben was genuine.

Later Flash joined the military and in an accident lost his legs. He was called up for a project to serve his country again and is serving with the Venom symbiote as Agent Venom with the symbiote creating legs for him.

Flash and Peter have now rekindled their friendship away from the childish pressure of school both older and wiser.

* exhausted *

Isn't most of this covered in the review? Well apart from the bit about the lizard's snout.

Nevaborn

BRW said:
Great review. Have to say - not a big spiderman fan, old or new or comics. However if it's won you over, Cas, then I may well reconsider.

Isn't most of this covered in the review? Well apart from the bit about the lizard's snout.

I never got as far as reading the review just seeing peoples comments about scenes and thought id pass on where the film may not of portrayed the characters best to newcomers to the franchise.

I also just pointed out the flaws I concluded as a fan.

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member

I agree with this, but you got to remember we generally join the movie after the flashbacks, and catch up years later, so we have to fill in the blanks to there relationship.

the only person i remember peter telling that he was spider-man was gwen stacy, the lizard, aka dr connors, worked it out for himself and gwens dad captured him and was forced to reveal himself.

agreed.. artistic licence to get the narrative moving, but we all now that peter is a scientistand a genuis, however in the film, he gives connors an formula to help him with his studies, to remind is that perter is very clever.

agreed

think he tried to not see her, but who is going to stay away from emma stone lol.

i think they got this right as bullies are complicated creatures with serious issues of there own, yet there was not enough development of flash/peter relationship, so in the film people get confused..he's a horror one minute, then suddenly is trying to reach out to peter..as i say not enough charactor development.

* exhausted *

i have put in my interpretation of your observations nevaborn, but i have used a spoiler

Courtjezter

Distinguished Member
500 Days of Summer disappointing??? I thought it was really good and Marc Webb showed he had a way of dealing with character.

But i know yours is just your opinion.

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
500 Days of Summer disappointing??? I thought it was really good and Marc Webb showed he had a way of dealing with character.

But i know yours is just your opinion.

Yup, just an opinion mate. It got rave reviews (even here) and I think it certainly made Webb an interesting choice for Spiderman - you knew he wouldn't flinch about developing characters and making hard choices - but I personally found 500 days disappointing.

I think mainly this was because it wasn't at all what I expected, and I found myself confronted by a film that was dominated by two characters which I couldn't really relate to, going down a path which was poorly served by the description '500 days of Summer'.

It was a little like a considerably better-acted/scripted version of The Break-Up, and similarly (mis-)marketed as a rom-com, only neither had much comedy, and the romance within was bittersweet to say the least. Perhaps it was all in the marketing!

Nevaborn

golden phoenix said:
* SPOILER *

i have put in my interpretation of your observations nevaborn, but i have used a spoiler

Relationship wise agreed but I think they just needed a bit more emotional moments to build the relationship with Uncle Ben as this was the defining even of Peters early life.

His parents even in the comics they are more a side issue, but in the film the relationship tho short is actually well developed.

As for the webbing and formula. Well the stolen metal webbing aside the formula he never worked out the calculation. It was written in his fathers notebook and he used that formula to get in with Dr.Connors. Its the fact the formula wasn't his work that led to the miscalculation resulting in the Lizard.

As for identity, He tells Gwen when he should hide his identity for his and her safety but this may haunt him later and cause a change in him. Her father he could of escaped from but allowed himself to be unmasked, the bullet wound he took he should of avoided due to spider sense.

The Flash Thompson scenes should of had a flashback to their childhood and expanded upon the issues of their relationship. That was a failing.

I am so critical of superhero movies as there's such a wealth of source material to work from that mistakes show a massive level of incompetence.

Visually the Costumes the highlight. Reminds me of Ben Reilley's

Shenoizy

I watched this (2D) last night having seen it at the IMAX last year. I enjoyed the film again but am surprised that the sound was given a 10 rating. I would have given a 7 or 8. Everything was very clear and distinct, certainly across the front speakers but there wasn't a huge amount of surround or bass action. I'd agree that the ambient sounds effects and music integrated very well but only a few scenes really gave my system a work out. Not quite what I'd expect from a maximum rating.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom