The Amaray Case Strikes Back!!

groundy

Standard Member
Reaction score
Look at this, I mean would you just look at it :mad: :mad: :mad:.

Groundy attached the following image:

CrackedAvia1.JPG

Groundy attached the following image:

CrackedAvia2.jpg

F****** Amaray Cases and their rediculously tight disc holder mechanisms. After performing some quick calibrations, I popped my AVIA disc back in it's case only to be greeted by the disc's inner circle shattering before my very eyes :(.

As we all know, there is a wide variety of Amaray disc holder mechanisms out there but does anyone else think some of them are just stupidly tight?

Yep, some of them are. I'm sure my Unbreakable disks won't actually remain unbreakable :(

I wonder if you can get in touch with the manufacturer and get a replacement disk FOC...

The one on the Blade 2 disk is stupidly tight.

Originally posted by Squirrel God

I wonder if you can get in touch with the manufacturer and get a replacement disk FOC...

I was think that too - I might try and get a fax or email adress for the makers of AVIA and show them the photos as proof. They might not be interested in purchasers from outside the USA though.

My black hawk down arrived worse than that :eek:

Second one was ok though :)

HI,

No offence, and I apologise if this may seem a really dumb observation, but could it also possibly be down to the actual DVD disc not having a central hole the correct size? :eek:

I mean, the actual DVD disc hole isn't used for anything, other than holding the disc in the container, so maybe the hole isn't correctly sized?

Yes, it's likely to be the Amaray case that's at fault, but what about all the bashing about the DVD will have taken, from wherever it left in the world, to the place that it eventually arrived at? That may have had something to do with it, as well.

Pooch

I was genuinely interested your observation Pooch so I just got out the old tape measure and had a look. Alas, the central hole on the AVIA disc seems to be the same size as the other 5 DVD discs that I measured. In case anyone is interested, this is just under 5/8 of an inch in diameter or exactly 1 1/2 cm.

The AVIA DVD originally came from Australia courtesy of DVDAtlantic so I suppose the travel distance and treatment along the way could have contributed. However, the disc was perfect when I receivd it and I've had it for ages now so this was not a recent delivery.

I'm afraid I'm laying the blame squarely at the AVIA Amaray Case which does seem to have an extremely tight Push Button type mechanism. In fact, it's the only one of it's kind I've seen.

Fret not, I will take it up with Ovation Software and see if anything comes of it. I assume the disc will still play but I don't really fancy the idea of tiny shards of plastic flying of inside the DVD player as soon as the disc spins up :(.

Yeah I wouldn't put that anywhere near a player now. Likely to break up. And when they go, they REALLY go!

TBH I doubt you'd have much recourse as the company will probably say you tried to pull it off without pushing the hub or something. Your word aginst theirs etc. Worth trying though!

oh [swear-word edited by mod], after reading this post I thought I'd check my copy and guess what......it's [swear-word edited by mod].......was OK last time I used it, must have happened when I put it away.....gutted.

It took me about a month to get it from the states and cost about £50.00 including the import duty and tax.

Will also be sending an E-Mail to Ovation and will post the reply here if I get one, would also appriciate anybody else who contacts Ovation to let me know how they got on.

It is definitely the case at fault. As soon as I opened the case and realised how tightly the disc was held, I replaced the case with a dvd friendly one.

Men in Black (Limited Edition) is perhaps the worst design of case I have encountered, much tighter than the AVIA one.

I am amazed that there is not some sort of standard for the holding mechanisms of these cases, some are perfect, a quick press of the centre button and out it comes; others are ridiculously tight and will eventually cause damage to the dvd.

Among other offenders are the Anchor Bay cases for Halloween, Army of darkness and Night of the Living Dead.

Why manufacture dvd cases that will inevitably damage a dvd?

Pooch, I think the hole in the DVD is the mechanism by which the DVD player grabs and spins the disc, sorry to get a bit technical.

I have lost quite a few discs by way of the over aggressive amaray case and quite a few have been scratched by not being tight enough so they spin around freely, rubbing against the back of the case, when in place.

For all their other problems, give me snapper casings anyday. I would rather have a scuffed case than a broken disc. The spindles on these are sedlom tight and the discs are held a few millimetres away from contact with the case, so they can spin to their little hearts content and not get scratched.

RESULT :)

Very nice people to deal with are AVIA. It took them about a month to reply to my email but they were not set up to receive emails apparantly. Anyway they sent me out a brand new copy without hesitation and didn't even require original proof of purchase or return of damaged disc.

Hi All,

Good news Groundy! :)

One observation.

I take it that the term "Amaray Case" is being used in it's generic sense here? ( like Hoover for the trusty vaccum cleaner )

As by looking at the photo & the central locking machanism of the case, it would appear that this isn't in fact an "Amaray" case, but an alternative (but similar) design from another manufacturer!

I'm nothing to do with Amaray by the way, so don't worry, no law suits for "misrepresentation & unsubstantiated claims" is to follow.;)

Best Regards,
KBDVD.

KBDVD is right. The genuine Amaray cases have a two prong holder that allows the disc to spin freely while retaining it firmly. see this link:
Amaray, click here

The problem comes from the large number of copy cases used by certain disc publishers presumably because they want to save money on the packaging. By the way I don't work for Amaray either but just hate to see what IMHO is the best case company in the business getting unfair comment.

my r2 seven special edition is in the same condition because of an overzealous case. I'm considering taking a pair of snippers to the worst offenders.

Originally posted by KBDVD

I take it that the term "Amaray Case" is being used in it's generic sense here? ( like Hoover for the trusty vaccum cleaner )

Yes I was using the term generically (perhaps wrongly) and am well aware of the proper Amaray Case mechanisms which have no such problems. However I think it's fair to label it as an Amaray Case, if only to emphasise it's not a snapper.

Originally posted by groundy
Yes I was using the term generically (perhaps wrongly) and am well aware of the proper Amaray Case mechanisms which have no such problems. However I think it's fair to label it as an Amaray Case, if only to emphasise it's not a snapper.
The correct term for these general type of cases is "Keep Case".

Originally posted by groundy
I think it's fair to label it as an Amaray Case, if only to emphasise it's not a snapper.

Not fair on actual Amaray cases.... :)

I would be most distressed if my inner circle shattered before my, or anyones eyes.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom