The AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm

U'R'ss

looking at this as my first zoom to go with my D40x other than my 18-70
is this any good, I know it's entry

Yes or no
or is there something better for the price of around £125

Yandros

Yep, Dazza pretty much covers it. The 55-200 is supposed to be rather good, so if your budget is circa £125, go for it. If you intend to shoot wildlife though, the 70-300VR is obviously longer, and even better, so might be a better long term investment.

U'R'ss

The down side with the D40x is no lens driver in the body, so can only use older nikon lens's in manual

£320 is a bit to much at this time of year for me :(

U'R'ss

Yep, Dazza pretty much covers it. The 55-200 is supposed to be rather good, so if your budget is circa £125, go for it. If you intend to shoot wildlife though, the 70-300VR is obviously longer, and even better, so might be a better long term investment.

Looking at mostly , portrait, landscape a bit of sport with this lens

dazza74

Distinguished Member
I'd get the 55-200mm VR you mention and maybe look to add the nikkor 50mm 1.8 (about £70) if you want to do more portrait photography. Landscape well those lenses don't come cheap, looking at about £280 I believe for the sigma 10-20mm which a few of us have on the forum but your 18-70 won't do a bad job in the meantime.

U'R'ss

I'd get the 55-200mm VR you mention and maybe look to add the nikkor 50mm 1.8 (about £70) if you want to do more portrait photography. Landscape well those lenses don't come cheap, looking at about £280 I believe for the sigma 10-20mm which a few of us have on the forum but your 18-70 won't do a bad job in the meantime.

The 50mm 1.8 is on my list, the sigma 10-20mm is another that will have to wait
Thanks for you advice :thumbsup:

julian_fraser

Have you taken the plunge yet?

I bought a Sigma 55-200mm DC HSM for my D40 to compliment the kit lens. I love the impact the photos seem to have, totally different to the kit lens shots IMO. No VR though and this isn't Sigma's OS version but I took it to the beach today and took this with it...

200mm, 1/2000s, f/5.6 (Program mode). I've had my first go at cropping with this photo too so with that and my iffy post-processing I may not have done it justice.

U'R'ss

No not yet was going to the weekend

That looks a good pic to me viewing it on here, is it better on your pc? did you take it hand-held or tripod

There is a none vr 55-200mm Nikon for around £80

How much was that Sigma

julian_fraser

That's handheld, I'm pretty pleased with it!

The pic is as it appears really, I've auto-brightened it a bit. The Sigma (HSM version for auto-focus on the Nikon) is £150 in Jessops but was recently £99 and I got it for £89 when I bought my D40,

U'R'ss

That's handheld, I'm pretty pleased with it!

The pic is as it appears really, I've auto-brightened it a bit. The Sigma (HSM version for auto-focus on the Nikon) is £150 in Jessops but was recently £99 and I got it for £89 when I bought my D40,

Wow well done, you have some nice photos on your flickr :smashin:

More to think about as I wonder if the Vr will be slower :confused: Anyone know ?

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom