1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Abyss SE

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by LV426, Feb 26, 2001.

1. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,025
    As today is the official release date for the UK version of this film, I thought it was opportune to advise anyone reading this against buying it.

I have had the Aussie PAL version of this for some time now and I would advise any prospective purchasers (especially those with large screens) that the video quality on the PAL transfer is ABYSmal!

Throughout it is soft, lacking in detail and has a "processed" look.

I can't imagine our version will be any different.

Don't be comforted by the theoretical better definition of PAL over NTSC - in this case it just isn't there. And don't be comforted by the THX logo either.

I've never seen an NTSC transfer, but it couldn't possibly be as bad as this. It really is the WORST quality transfer in my entire 170+ disc collection.

2. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That is bad news. I personally think that the NTSC R1 version whilst non-Anamorphic is still very good.

Don't get me wrong I would have prefered an Anamorphic print.

Perhaps they did a NTSC to PAL conversion? Wonder if the same problem is on Independence Day? I suspect if you run the DVD thru a Region Code checker like DVD Genie you'll find it dual encoded R2/R4.

------------------
    Webmaster,
    Bullets n Babes DVDs

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,025
    Jenz - looking at the image, you're probably right about it being a Standards Conversion. It's reminiscent of the early VHS and Laserdisc editions of Aliens SE. However, not fully understanding the technicalities here, I didn't think it was necessary to standards-convert for DVD mastering.

I doubt that our "The Abyss" will be R4, because ours is a specially-edited version to pass BBFC requirements. But the R4 edition is definitely R2 as well, and even sports an array of European language subtitles. I suspect that Australasia and Mainland Europe actually get exactly the same disc. It's been on sale in Mainland Europe for a couple of months. The R4+2 edition isn't cut. Ours will be.

I can't comment on ID4. I have the (excellent) R1 version.

4. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry yes I meant that I expected the Australian Abyss to be the mainland Europe disc.

Bad news about Commando and Predator too. What on earth is FOX playing at? For those who don't know both titles have been released in R4 and are dual coded to R2/R4 and both are cut. Commando quite extensively.

For trivia fans Commando was always cut in the UK Cinema apart from one Saturday morning preview held by The Sun. It was also available uncut on Laserdisc. So why we now get a cut version is anyones guess.

------------------
    Webmaster,
    Bullets n Babes DVDs