1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Abyss SE (R2+4)

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by LV426, Dec 13, 2000.

1. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    First the good news. I ordered this from EzyDVD.com.au (Australia). Cost about £15 delivered. Arrived in the UK in 4 working days. The 2 disc set had been unwrapped, and a small piece of bubble wrap placed over the spindle to prevent it dislodging in transit.

EXCELLENT SERVICE. RECOMMENDED.

Now the bad news. This disc has a shockingly poor picture. It is NOT anamporphic, although the packaging (and the website) suggests it is. The image is deplorably soft (rather VHS-like, but without the grain and noise). Loaded with useful extras, but the main feature is a disgrace to the THX logo.

As this disc is actually R2 and 4, with many european language subtitles, I suspect that the R2 release will be the same pressing repackaged.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

2. mysteriousjimmy

mysteriousjimmy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I have the Abyss R4 (live in Austrlia) and find the picture quality good, as the for the packaging it is wrong and the website get their info from the packaging.. and from what I have been told and read there is no anamporphic master any where...

also what THX logo???

As for the R2/4 the disc, alot of DVD's released in Australia carry R2/4 coding...maybe european R2 masters, not R2 UK masters...
    but the Abyss R4 is not cut , I have heard that when it released in the UK it will be cut.

------------------
    mysteriousjimmy's home cinema

3. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    I stand by my evaluation. This is the worst image in all of the 150+ DVDs in my collection.

The THX logo is that noisy thing that plays at the start of the film and says something like "mastered for optimal video and sound quality". I tend to disagree in this instance.

4. Jay2000

Jay2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the R4 Abyss SE and I didnt think the picture was too bad, although I have seen better. My main problem is that my poor little LG 2330P does not like seamless branching one little bit! [​IMG]

As for the R2 release, I imagine it will be cut (reframed?) for the still stupidly UK banned scene where they demonstrate the breathing liquid on the rat.

5. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    Jay - you're almost certainly right re censorship as regards the *UK* release. However, don't confuse the terms "R2" and "UK". In all probability, mainland europe will get the uncut version, and, given the R2 (+R4) coding of the Australian one, plus the array of european subtitles on it, it looks like it will be the same disc - repackaged.

In any event, I'd describe it as something to be avoided.