1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Abyss R2

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by wwwebber, Sep 13, 2000.

1. wwwebber

wwwebber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I've done alot of digging but cannot find and kind of release date for this. I'm tempted to buy the R1 but this is not anomorphic. Anybody know owt ?

2. jonny

jonny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont know much about this film but if the r1 release is not anamorphic i doubt that the r2 one will be either. (going on past releases, and the fact that we always get a worst version of the disc)

3. wwwebber

wwwebber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Not necessarily true, the pal version is nearly always better quality in the visual dept. Bearing in mind that a new transfer is required for pal we might just get anamorphic if we are lucky.

I know what your saying though concerning extras etc !!.

[This message has been edited by wwwebber (edited 13-09-2000).]

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    According to dvd rumble (click here) it's released on November 20th but they don't have any details as to whether or not it's anamorphic.

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I remember reading somewhere that The Abyss and another major title, ID4 I think, has been moved to Jan. 2001. And it should be anamorphic.

And I do not think that R2 always get a worse disc, this is changing, and there are some R2 releases that are better than the R1. Saving Private Ryan should be a 2-disc edition in R2.

Forgot to mention that there are several DVD sites that compare the discs in different regions, such as www.rewind.org.uk/digitalera also think www.dvdweb.com has a big R1vs.R2 database, but cant access it right now, just tried.

[This message has been edited by Jens (edited 14-09-2000).]

6. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    A quick announcement regarding "The Abyss: SE":- whilst a Region 2 disc will be better picture quality wise (which depending on whom you ask, is debateable), most of us hate censorship. I can guarantee that some of the extras will be removed completely, and the film itself will be edited for the "rat breathing underwater" sequence.

Just like with "The Matrix", any edits done to the film make the commentary run out of sync. As "The Abyss" has a visual written commentary, the cost will be negligible to Fox to modify, but knowing R2 distributors, there is a good probability that you will lose the commentary in its entireity, because they won't want to bother editing the commentary as well. Plus, with the addition of all the excess subtitles and audio tracks which will undoubtedly be added, these will take up room on the disc itself, thus giving even more credence to the theory that extras will be dropped due to "lack of space".

Personally, I think you had probably better stick with the Region 1 DVD. I'd only get the R2 version, if it is Anamorphic, and you simply have to have an Anamorphic version of this film. However, this is only an OPINION!

Pooch.

[This message has been edited by PoochJD (edited 14-09-2000).]

7. Conrad

Conrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It has to be said that although the region 1 version is not anamorphic it is still outstanding!

------------------
    Have you always been this stupid or did you take lessons?

I TOOK LESSONS!

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check out the R4 copy. It is apparently anamorphic and there is a release date on it here in Oz. Check out www.ezydvd.com.au and click on the Coming Soon link for all of the details.

9. wwwebber

wwwebber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Neildo, that's cool. If the R4 is indeed anomorphic then I'm sorted , even if the R2 is not. Fantastic, thanks.

10. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Folks,

Be warned! Whilst the R4 version of The Abyss: SE is anamorphic, it doesn't look like it will have as many extras as the R1 version. However, I may be wrong on this, so don't take this as gospel!

Having looked at EzyDVD's site, at least that's the impression I get from their information on this fabulous film!

Pooch