Quantcast

The 80s & 90s Action Films Thread

jayp13

ahh too many to name i liked the fugitive harrison ford very good and stakeout youve got to have a good buddy cop film haha and im not sure if this is action for say doubled checked on google it says crime thriller so i guess not but i really liked falling down with michael douglas it was an interesting story.

mjn

Distinguished Member
Been using lockdown to revisit the Van Damme back catalogue :laugh:

So far (in no order);

Double Team
Assassination Games
Dragon Eyes
Double Impact
Pound Of Flesh

bruce-leroy

Distinguished Member

So far (in no order);

Double Team
Assassination Games
Dragon Eyes
Double Impact
Pound Of Flesh
I love Double Impact, Double Team was ok - what are the others like? :D

My boys have been introduced to Arnie (only the suitable ones, i.e. not The Terminator, Commando, Predator, Total Recall :D ). I think they might like Van Damme but i can’t think of many they can watch yet apart from The Quest!

mjn

Distinguished Member
His appearance in Dragon Eyes was more of a cameo. But the other fella Cung Le was worth a watch. That fella can fight. And it has Peter Robocop Weller in it.

Assassination Games has Scott Adkins in, which makes it a little more watch more watchable.

Got The Quest, Knock Off and Inferno for later :D

mjn

Distinguished Member

So far (in no order);

Double Team
Assassination Games
Dragon Eyes
Double Impact
Pound Of Flesh
And last night was Sudden Death. Actually one of his better films.

And tonight will be Black Eagle.

inzaman

My boys have been introduced to Arnie (only the suitable ones, i.e. not The Terminator, Commando, Predator, Total Recall :D ). I think they might like Van Damme but i can’t think of many they can watch yet apart from The Quest!
lol, that doesn’t leave a great deal of 80s and 90s Arnie films worth watching, maybe True Lies and twins, assuming T2 is included in The Terminator.

bruce-leroy

Distinguished Member
lol, that doesn’t leave a great deal of 80s and 90s Arnie films worth watching, maybe True Lies and twins, assuming T2 is included in The Terminator.
Watched T2 and Twins. Also Jingle All the Way which is not as bad as I remembered. Hated it originally.

barnaby jones

Distinguished Member
I love Double Impact, Double Team was ok - what are the others like? :D

Street Fighter 😂

bruce-leroy

Distinguished Member
I’m scared to watch that again.

mjn

Distinguished Member
And last night was Sudden Death. Actually one of his better films.

And tonight will be Black Eagle.
Black Eagle and No Retreat, No Surrender at the weekend.

What can i say? In both films, Van Damme plays an evil Russian. And speaks about a dozen lines across both films and shows off his splits in both films. The fights scenes aren’t terrible and the actors are for the most part, actual martial artists, so no lame moves.

I can’t believe NRNS actually had a cinema release because it is awful, truly awful. :laugh:

But has this little bit of trivia and i quote....

“Kurt McKinney and Jean-Claude Van Damme were both set to star in No Retreat, No Surrender 2. Van Damme backed out first and when Kurt McKinney called him to find out why, Van Damme told Kurt due to the filming taking place near the Cambodian border, Van Damme feared their money would be stolen and they’d be butt raped by Cambodian pirates. Kurt McKinney followed Van Damme’s lead and did not return for the sequel.”

So, Black Eagle..........erm. Made 4 years after NRNS, but the budget must have been tiny.

Next up? Maybe The Bouncer? Or one of the later Kickboxer films.

Eliminator

Novice Member
The best for me have already been mentioned: the Terminator films, Aliens, pretty much anything with Arnie, Die Hards, Heartbreak Ridge, Empire Strikes Back and the Indiana Jones movies. Sorry, if I missed them but I'll add:

Starship Troopers

Crimson Tide

Bounty

Also continuing the seagoing theme, although its cheating a bit as they were TV movies rather than proper movies, the Hornblower series was great:

pae97

Standard Member
Now I have a new born and not getting much sleep, my movie watching is rapidly increasing:

Last night's viewing:

The Crow - It's hard to believe it's 26 years old now.

Rapid Fire - Really is a what might have been with Brandon Lee

Death Warrant - One of my favourites of Van Damme with Sudden Impact. It really does have every ingredient of a true Van Damme classic.

mjn

Distinguished Member
Rapid Fire is quality. Proper 80's cheese but made in 1992 :)

bruce-leroy

Distinguished Member
Now I have a new born and not getting much sleep, my movie watching is rapidly increasing:

Last night's viewing:

The Crow - It's hard to believe it's 26 years old now.

Rapid Fire - Really is a what might have been with Brandon Lee

Now you have to watch:

mjn

Distinguished Member
Black Eagle and No Retreat, No Surrender at the weekend.

What can i say? In both films, Van Damme plays an evil Russian. And speaks about a dozen lines across both films and shows off his splits in both films. The fights scenes aren’t terrible and the actors are for the most part, actual martial artists, so no lame moves.

I can’t believe NRNS actually had a cinema release because it is awful, truly awful. :laugh:

But has this little bit of trivia and i quote....

“Kurt McKinney and Jean-Claude Van Damme were both set to star in No Retreat, No Surrender 2. Van Damme backed out first and when Kurt McKinney called him to find out why, Van Damme told Kurt due to the filming taking place near the Cambodian border, Van Damme feared their money would be stolen and they’d be butt raped by Cambodian pirates. Kurt McKinney followed Van Damme’s lead and did not return for the sequel.”

So, Black Eagle..........erm. Made 4 years after NRNS, but the budget must have been tiny.

Next up? Maybe The Bouncer? Or one of the later Kickboxer films.
Cyborg tonight. Pretty awful. Made straight after Bloodsport. But has a bad guy in a chainmail dress. Butch.

mjn

Distinguished Member

mjn

Distinguished Member
Cyborg tonight. Pretty awful. Made straight after Bloodsport. But has a bad guy in a chainmail dress. Butch.
And on to Timecop. And we’re only made to wait 20 minutes before the trademark splits. You know it ain’t a Van Damme film until he does the splits.

Much better than Black Eagle, NRNS and Cyborg. Still ropey in places and massive plot holes. But name one time travel film without plot holes.......

bruce-leroy

Distinguished Member
I’ve just watched Van Damme’s The Bouncer (aka Lukas). It’s a decent watch and feels a cut above the usual DTV fare. No major surprises except make sure you stay with it til the end. @mjn Unfortunately, his joints aren’t fluid enough for the splits any longer. :(

mjn

Distinguished Member
I’ve just watched Van Damme’s The Bouncer (aka Lukas). It’s a decent watch and feels a cut above the usual DTV fare. No major surprises except make sure you stay with it til the end. @mjn Unfortunately, his joints aren’t fluid enough for the splits any longer. :(
The only copy of that i had, had no English subs. But i’ve obtained an English DVD now. So keen to give it a bash.

mjn

Distinguished Member
Tonight, it is We Die Young. WTF is this? 30 mins in and Van Damme has said nothing. And he looks about a hundred and forty! :laugh:

bruce-leroy

Distinguished Member
Knock Off, Streetfighter and Replicant coming soon to blu ray from 88 Films:

I might get Knock Off as it’s directed by Tsui Hark and quite fun to watch.

mjn

Distinguished Member
Knock Off, Streetfighter and Replicant coming soon to blu ray from 88 Films:

I might get Knock Off as it’s directed by Tsui Hark and quite fun to watch.
Yes, Knock Off and Streetfighter have their qualities........Replicant is just utter garbage.