The 74th Oscars!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by PoochJD, Mar 25, 2002.

1. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi All,

*** SPOILER ALERT ***

So, how many of you stayed up until 6am this morning, to watch the 74th Academy Award ceremony live?! :D I know this isn’t entirely DVD-related, but I hope you will forgive me this one indiscretion.

It wasn’t the greatest ceremony, that’s for sure, but there were certainly some surprises. The fact that “Lord Of The Rings 1” only got 4 Oscars, “Moulin Rouge” only got 2, and “Iris” and “Gosford Park” 1 apiece, was pretty surprising, but that wasn’t the only shock.

The Best Actress Award went not to Sissy Spacek, nor Helen Mirren, or even Nicole Kidman as many had expected, but Halle Berry for her role in “Monsters Ball” – a film which hasn’t even been released here in the UK, or on DVD in the USA. Her winning, was a shock not only for her, but also for everyone watching, and her extremely emotional speech that then followed. The fact that she was the first African-American woman to win an Oscar ever, is impressive! And, with Denzel Washington and Sidney Poitier also winning Oscars, maybe this is a sign that the Oscars are no longer just about back-patting “white” Hollywood?!

Another shock, was the fact that “Amelie”, by French director Jean-Pierre Jeunet, lost the Best Foreign Language Film award to a black and white war film from Bosnia Herzogovinia of all places! Considering “Amelie’s” critical and commercial success, (and the upcoming Special Edition DVD release out in the UK in October 2002), the loss was surprising as most of the other nominations have NOT yet received any UK distribution.

Ultimately, it was still another fairly typical ceremony, in that American’s can say they’re doing their bit for society – e.g. the portrayal of schizophrenia in “A Beautiful Mind”, a classic authoress in British film “Iris”, and supporting black actors and actresses. And yet, I don’t believe that the Oscars are judging films on their actual merits, but on what the public think will look good receiving an award.

Okay, for those who didn’t or haven’t got the full list, here are the award winners.

Best Supporting Actress: Jennifer Connelly (A Beautiful Mind)
    Best Editing: Pietro Scalia (Black Hawk Down)
    Best Makeup: Peter Owen & Richard Taylor (Lord Of The Rings - LOTR)

Best Costume Design: Catherine Martin & Angus Struthie (Moulin Rouge)

Best Cinematography: Andrew Lesnie (LOTR)
    Best Documentary: Murder On A Sunday Morning
    Best Documentary Short Subject: Thoth
    Best Art Direction: Catherine Martin (Moulin Rouge)
    Best Animated Feature: Shrek
    Best Sound: Black Hawk Down
    Best Sound Editing: Pearl Harbor
    Best Supporting Actor: Jim Broadbent (Iris)
    Best Visual Effects: LOTR
    Humanitarian Award: Arthur Hiller
    Best Original Score: Howard Shore (LOTR)
    Honorary Oscar: Sidney Poitier
    Best Live Action Short: The Accountant
    Best Animated Short: For The Birds
    Best Original Song: Randy Newman – “If I Didn’t Have You” (Monsters Inc.)

Best Adapted Screenplay: A Beautiful Mind
    Best Original Screenplay: Gosford Park
    Best Foreign Film: No Mans Land (Bosnia Herzigovinia)
    Best Actress: Halle Berry (Monsters Ball)
    Lifetime Achievement: Robert Redford
    Best Actor: Denzel Washington (Training Day)
    Best Director: Ron Howard (A Beautiful Mind)
    Best Film: A Beautiful Mind

If anyone cares to comment on the ceremony, the winners or losers, or any other aspect of the show, then please reply to this thread. I’ll look forward to reading your comments.

Pooch

2. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,831
    I was watching the live broadcast on BBC2 that started 12.45 last night...it was more than I could stand. The US presenters/interviewers that were out on the red carpet were the most sycophantic bunch I've ever had the displeasure to watch, they didn't stop fawning and gushing over their "royalty" long enough to actually realise that the unscripted replies from the stars proved that there isn't anything worthwhile comes from the mouths of Hollywood stars unless it's written for them. Kate Winslet didn't exactly do the UK proud either.
    I gave up and went to bed before the actual ceremony started, but judging from the results I don't think I'll bother watching tonights highlights. Then again, I say that every year.

I'd like to see Ridley Scott bag a best director Oscar before he dies.

3. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I'm not sure if this tells a story about how the film industry is going but I was only interested in the animated oscar, Shrek or Monsters Inc.

Tough one to call but I think Shrek deserved it.

4. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Happy that Washington and Howard got oscars. But then I really couldn't care less about the whole thing.

5. ashearer

ashearer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    All very predictable with the exception of Halle Berry winning Best Supporting Actress. I was hoping LOTR might win some of the major awards but no surprise that it only got technical awards. Pleased for Denzel and Russell Crowes ego is big enough already!

6. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Shouldn't this be in the 'Movies and TV' Forum?

I tried to stay awake, but zonked out after 15 mins :(

I even took Monday off work so I could lie in.

7. Dirk 2

Dirk 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a avid film fan, I naturally watched the oscars with a degree of excitement and cynacism.

Halle Berry, gushing, cringe making speech was the highlight of the whole sorry show. Through floods of tears, she single handedly assumed the mantle of a great reformer, and dubiously claimed to have torn down the final barrier.

Really? Funny how a year ago this "actress" was playing the "hollywood game" and doing gratutitous topless shots on "Sword Fish" for an extra $250,000. Was this for the greater benefit of "actors of colour"?

To me her particular success (based on a film that has not been largely seen by the american public) has more to do with the guilt of the "Academy" and it's shoddy treatment of black actors over the past century.

Sidney Poitier, on the other hand, walked away with a justifiable lifetime acheivement award, a remained the embodiment of dignity and nobility.

It is ultimately Hollywood that is the loser, as it is the only film making community that still sees actors in terms of race, as opposed to just actors.

8. Rad

Rad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I watched the lot just to see if LOTR and Peter Jackson would get any - of either Best Film or Best Director, but surprise surprise it wasn't to be.

At least they've got another 2 years and 2 other films to go.

Rich.

I so wish I hadn't stayed up as I'm now the walking dead.... and how cool is Sidney Poitier .

9. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,076
    I cannot really make much comment as I have not seen the majority of the films nominated But my congratulations go to Jim Broadbent for bringing one back home even though I wanted Sir Ian McKellen to win that category, and the film he was nominated for LOTR for best film.
    Nice to see Denzel win one, always puts in a good performance.
    And LOTR for its 4 especially the Cinematography and Visual Effects.

With Kevo I saw this, this morning and wrote a reply off line then could not find it back on line, had to do a search.

10. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    After Johnathon Ross's invite to send in emails to be read out during the broadcast, I made a concerted effort to send an email every 20 mins while watching. Unfortunately none got read out but I presume this had something to do with the fact that each and every one contained a simple (but different) one line slagging about Russell Crowe's lack of height. I thought some were quite witty too. He really is a very small man with a very big ego.

:D

11. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    Couldn't care less about any of it.
    How can you say one performance is better than another?

As for LOTR not winning best picture - THANK GOD!
    Am I the only one who thought this film was a total waste of three hours? Slow, slow and slower (yawn yawn!)

12. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I thought LOTR was quite undeserving for 'Best Cinematography'. Especially since most of the filming was Digital effects which it quite rightly deserved the oscar for I feel.

Thougth 'Amelie' was more deserving for cinematography, but then thats just my oppinion.

As for Halle Berrie as best actress.... I thougth they gave oscars for a 'body of work' not just for best body..... :lol:

13. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi All,

Thanks to all of you for your responses - both positive and negative.

Kevo - technically this thread should be in "Movies And TV", but I wanted to get views from DVD users, more than just film and TV fans in general. I hope that helps.

I think Halle Berry's speech was interesting. Firstly, we all need to bear in mind that no one expected her to win. Every critic I know, had said it would be Sissy Spacek or Helen Mirren. And even outsiders, said that Nicole Kidman might pull this one off. Renee Zellwegger had no chance really, in this kind of company. Her performance in "Bridget Jones's Diary" was good, but not outstanding.

As such, when Halle Berry's name was read out, I think it was painfully obvious she was in complete and utter shock. Despite breaking down in tears, I have to give her credit for actually managing to get a grip on things, and make a reasonable statement at how the Academy had neglected black actors and actresses in general.

Whilst I haven't seen LOTR yet, I wasn't expecting it to sweep the board, because the Academy rarely let fantasy genre films get more than technical awards. Even major films like "Blade Runner", "The Terminator", "Aliens" etc, etc didn't win major awards, and are probably far superior and in better favour with the public and critics than LOTR is.

Sidney Poitier's speech was certainly impressive. However, I have to admit to having never seen a single one of his movies. And does anyone know what the real difference between Poitier's award and Robert Redford's awards were? As far as I could tell, both were essentially "Lifetime Achievement", but then again, I may have been wrong.

Groundy - you mentioned the Jonathan Ross "email" thing. More than likely, he probably just wanted something to do, instead of watching the ceremony I expect! :D That's probably why he never read out a single e-mail. Alternatively, he hasn't received any of them yet.

And whose idea was it to include Greg Proops as a film critic?! Sorry, but whilst he is a funny comedian, he is no film journalist! Why couldn't the BBC have got proper critics like Alexander Walker to give us something a little more intelligent to feast our brains on, rather than simple "Oh, yes, X person was just sooooo great in that film. He/she really deserved the award!"

And wasn't Dyan Cannon (Whipper from Ally McBeal) just a complete nightmare of a guest?! That laugh would have made Hannibal Lecter's flesh crawl!

Pooch

14. danielzavitz

danielzavitz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    all i want to know is
    what happned to will smith?
    he sat through the whole ceromony then dissapeared right before the oscar he was nominated for was announced and they had to show a picture of him up on the big screen.

15. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I was wondering the very same thing.

16. bigH007

bigH007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will Smith sudden departure was due to the fact that his 18 month year old daughter became ill.

I read this in the Metro newspaper today.

H.

17. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    I found all the Sidney Poittier groveling a bit too much.

Halle Berry's speech just made me CRINGE.

I think the Academy was being a bit sentimental in light of Sep 11th as regards it's nod towards black actors/actress.

18. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agreed! It was a bit nauseating, I only watched a news report and that was enough.