1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

the $64 million Qustion : Plasma vs LCD?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by mk85, Sep 20, 2005.

1. mk85

mk85

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

here's the deal. i'm looking to buy a flat tv but i'm not sure which way to turn. i've gone to comet and curry's and have had a look at some plasma's and LCD's but can't decide which one is better. the salesman just tell you what you want to hear!

i've got £1500 to spend. i would like it to be around 42inch and it will be mounted on the wall.mostly i'l be watching sky and occasionally DVD's. i would just like some info on the best models/makes out there for this price. and is it better to buy from high street stores or the internet.

any info will be appreciated

2. miketrim

miketrim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Its is certainly cheaper to buy from internet stores. Remember also that if anything goes wrong during the warranty period it will be the manufacturer not the shop that will service it. My advice is buy from a reputable online store like empiredirect or digiuk.

3. VILLAn66

VILLAn66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I'm in the same boat but with around £2000 to spend. I am totally torn between Plasma and LCD with both technologies offering benefits and disadvantages. I have been reading these forums for around 2 months now and I still can't decide. My time will be split, fairly evenly, between DVD movies, gaming, sport and cable TV. I am after something around 40-42 inches as well.

I hope you don't mind me tagging onto your thread mk85!

4. DJT75

DJT75
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,214
    If you're gonna watch Sky/Freeview/Sport - don't touch a 42" LCD. The picture quality on a screen that size is simply awful compared to a Plasma. 32" Max for LCD as far as I'm concerned - hence I bought a 37" plasma & saved myself a fortune in the process...

5. mk85

mk85

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so i know that plasma screens are better with lager tv's. what makes/models are the best, with a £1500 spending limit.

i don't mind you tagging on VILLAn66, as long as we get some good help.

6. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +616
    Best image at the moment is Panasonic PW8, there is an offer on for forum members in the Special Offers section, have a look.

The image is really amazing, it is only 480 lines resolution but even with HD material it still looks better than all the so called HD-Ready panels/Tvs this side of £2k.

It is just a monitor though so you need to have freeview/sky/cable to use as a tuner and something for the sound to go through. But it is a stunning picture for the money.

7. DJT75

DJT75
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,214