1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The 4400. Last night

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by stewarthollyhea, Nov 22, 2004.

1. stewarthollyhea

stewarthollyhea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought this was a promising begining to this new series on Sky one. Anyone else catch it? And has anyone seen further episodes and know it if develops aswell as it begins. Its got deep space nine's Ira Behr at the helm so i hope its gonna be good. For some reason on sky it was really quiet and i had to turn up the old google box.

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    I enjoyed the mini-series and pleased it's got picked up for a full season sometime next year. There is huge potential for a season long arc along with an episodic stucture that many viewers prefer and the two formats always served The X-Files well which is a good comparison show for The 4400.
    Stick with it, some good twists and turns:)

3. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,082
    Slightly off topic but is this mini-series then into a full series thing a recent developement?

There have been several shows lately which have had a mini-series then gone on to a full series. Battlestar Galactica to name one.

Seems like a good idea to see if the ratings/interest is there before committing to a full season run. There has been some right crap given full series in the past which would have benefitted from this.

4. jelly

jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    missed it watched spiderman 2 whens it on again??

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    I think it's the cable/sat channels answer to the big 3 networks intrusion into their summer season which has for the last few years been very profitable.
    While the networks churn out reruns during the summer the likes of SciFi/USA etc premiere their new shows to a basic subscription audience who lap it up. US networks are now in the process of rescheduling their shows to cover more of the summer season.

Perhaps the mini-series as an extended pilot is the result, they need new programming which can be promoted beyond a simple 60 minute slot but simply do not have the resources to commit to a half let alone full season.

6. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Watched it today and quite enjoyed it too. It is a bit of an X-Files type premise but fingers crossed the writers don't turn it into something that's too derivative. If they do follow an episodic structure then we've only got 4399 more to go! Could take a while! :laugh:

7. Ian182

Ian182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    I really enjoyed it as well.

Struck me as a cross between The X Files and Taken (especially the little girl - very Taken-esque !). Also Joel Gretsch was in Taken........
    Plenty of plot possibilities to explore, and already starting to get into some of the characters.

Anybody know what the song is that they played twice during the episode ? It was also the theme tune to Kingdom Hospital.......

Looking forward to next weeks episode - the pilot is repeated on SKY One Mix tomorrow night if anyone missed it.

Ian.

8. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    "Worry about you" by IVY is the theme to KH, been a while since I've seen 4400 to confirm if it's the same song:)
    Excellent track though, liked it so much I bought the album.

9. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,979
    Just got the full season one (6 eps) on DVD for review, it's out in January. Very good premise and i really got into it.

10. Master Rahl

Master Rahl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 4400s is an excellent mini series. I loved it, and it had a terrific ending.

11. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    I didn't enjoy this much . the main characters are so boring and lifeless , acting was generally poor ( Peter Coyote in a totally miscast and underwritten role ...absolute waste, he should have been the dodgey corporate guy or even the male lead agent: I'd quite happily watch an X-files type show with Peter Coyote as Mulder ) and it was leadenly directed.

The fishy guy one was like an episode of the kid's from Degrassi Street.

Terrible effects too.
    And the day for night scenes in a few episodes (fishy man again) are the worst digital regrade job I've ever seen. ( no there isn't anything wrong with your TV , they just don't know what they are doing).

Surprised this got a series , I reckon its mostly because it looks pretty cheap to make.

I watched an episode of the Rockford Files the other day and it looks as if they've remastered the series . I'm not a huge fan of the series but the cinematography , the art direction ,the blocking out of the action , the editing and the acting from the main characters were shockingly good for a TV series. The cinematography especially was as good if not better than most cinema releases at the time.

12. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I've enjoyed it very much. It is similar to other shows in the past but it does have a very intriguing premise as a basis for the plot.

Roll on Sunday to find out why they have returned! At least that's what the blurb on Sky TV Guide says!

Anyone know if there's more coming?

13. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,415
    I wanted to like this series and gave it the benefit of the doubt for four episodes but it just feels like the production company bought up all of the rejected scripts from the first season of X-Files. Very amateurish.

14. smelly

smelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Just watched the last one of this series from the stacks I've got to catch up on Sky+!! I have to say that I quite enjoyed it :thumbsup:

I thought the ending was good for an ongoing series, definitely leading you into the next season but closing up enough of the loops to give you a sense of satisfaction. Not brilliant enough to win any awards but certainly enjoyable.

Does anyone know when/if there is a next series here?

15. Master Rahl

Master Rahl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You mean next season? July 2005.

16. samjpullen

samjpullen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
  17. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

"The 4400" has been commissioned for a season. I'm not sure if it will get 13 or 22 episodes, but there will be a new series at some point in late-2005/early-2006 in the UK. (Obviously, US viewers will see it before us.)

Pooch

P.S. I think it's been a great show! Nothing like "The X-Files" at all.

18. bom bom

bom bom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Over the last week or so I have been watching the 4400 finishing with the last episode tonight. I felt it came across like as at least one person on this message boards have already said, as a mix between taken and the X-Files. Although not as good as either. Even for TV sci-fi special effects were below par and I'm surprised not more of you have mentioned this. I wasn't particularly a fan of Taken when the BBC shown it but felt it was infinitely better than the 4400. To be honest I couldn't care less about the characters from this mini-series and generally speaking were very poorly written.

I'm disappointed that this has been commissioned for a new season for half season as the case may be as this is just the poor man's the X-Files without all great storytelling, mystery and suspense.

I'm first to admit that sci-fi needs a boost at the moment with all the major sci-fi series having finished or been cancelled but this doesn't have the potential to be anything other than derivative... At least if it can't be exciting and original it could have great special effects and more interesting characters?

19. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    My sister in law put me onto this show by telling how good it is. So yesterday i found myself buying the 1st season on DVD to see if she was right when she told me that it was "far better" than the X-files. (a statement that for reason made me very defensive of my favourite TV show)

As the owner of all 9 seasons of the X-Files (yes the expensive digipak versions!) and numerous books related to the TV show, my colours are firmly nailed to the mast - I am X-phile have been since i first saw the pilot on sky all those years ago.

So last night i settled down to watch the pilot. It opened fairly well but i had to keep slapping myself to stop me compering it to Chris Carters baby. Although i dont think the makers of did themselves any favours by having a female scientist with bad hair and an un-glamours look - for crying outloud she even has the same initials! and diana is really far to close the dana for my liking or by casting one of the lead actors from Taken -D'oh!

i've watched the first two episodes now and other than some very ropey acting from the leads its not been too bad, (although i do agree with a lot of what Bom Bom wrote. And Pooch did you watch the X-files how can you claim that its nothing like it?) i'll finish it over the next couple of days and decide then if i'll continue with it into a second season. although if you do compere like with like the first 3 episodes of the X-Files (Pilot, Deep Throat and Tooms) really do kick the :censored: out of the 4400.

EDIT:

I've watched the whole thing now and i have to say that it really shaped up rather well. i think it could well move away from x-files territory now. seasonm 2 could be quite good.

Gary