The 32PF9830 Thread

Rolighed

Standard Member
Reaction score
I placed a back order for the 32PF9830 back in may, so you can imagine my joy when I got a call from D&C today telling me that they will ship my tv tomorrow. :thumbsup:

Hopefully UPS can have it delivered by tuesday/wednesday (I'm living in DK) and then I'll give you all my first impressions as soon as possible.

Cheers
Rolighed

OK - I got my 9830 and have it partially set up. So far I only have it connected to my Sony STB (via scart), and I also connected it up via the standard ariel socket.
Haven't connected up any HD plugs yet, as I only have an HDMI amp at home, but I do have a laptop with DVI out that I'll connect to the TV tonight to check out the quality. I'll also connect my PS2.

First impressions:
- make sure you have 2 people to help you get it set up - this TV is pretty bulky.
- just turned the TV on for 5 minutes after getting it set up, and I'm no LCD expert (this TV is replacing a 12" CRT :D ) but quality via the STB seems excellent. :thumbsup:

In the meantime, if anyone has any questions they want answered, post them up and I'll do my best to answer them tonight.

- Steve

Steve,

I would really be interested if you get 1:1 pixel mapping when you connect your PC via DVI. Can you get the advertised 1366 x 768 resolution, with full picture displayed etc! If not, please could you try the same via VGA connection?

One suggestion - how about creating a brand new thread for discussions of the TV in operation (a bit like the recent one for V series Sony). You could always take after the famous 9986 thread and name it 'The Philips 9830 appreciation thread' :)

stotten said:
OK - I got my 9830 and have it partially set up. So far I only have it connected to my Sony STB (via scart), and I also connected it up via the standard ariel socket.
Haven't connected up any HD plugs yet, as I only have an HDMI amp at home, but I do have a laptop with DVI out that I'll connect to the TV tonight to check out the quality. I'll also connect my PS2.

First impressions:
- make sure you have 2 people to help you get it set up - this TV is pretty bulky.
- just turned the TV on for 5 minutes after getting it set up, and I'm no LCD expert (this TV is replacing a 12" CRT :D ) but quality via the STB seems excellent. :thumbsup:

In the meantime, if anyone has any questions they want answered, post them up and I'll do my best to answer them tonight.

Steve,
Can you confirm all dimensions, particularly the motorised stand width and depth

MartinPerry said:
Steve,
Can you confirm all dimensions, particularly the motorised stand width and depth

Look here for the manual

Bluestraw said:
Steve,

I would really be interested if you get 1:1 pixel mapping when you connect your PC via DVI. Can you get the advertised 1366 x 768 resolution, with full picture displayed etc! If not, please could you try the same via VGA connection?

One suggestion - how about creating a brand new thread for discussions of the TV in operation (a bit like the recent one for V series Sony). You could always take after the famous 9986 thread and name it 'The Philips 9830 appreciation thread' :)

According to the manual, it is only 1024x768 through the DVI when connected to a PC :(

Edit,

Although reading it again this may only be when you use a VGA to DVI adapter:confused:

scrapbook said:
According to the manual, it is only 1024x768 through the DVI when connected to a PC :(

Edit,

Although reading it again this may only be when you use a VGA to DVI adapter:confused:

I saw that too, and I couldn't find any mention at all of the 1:1 resolution. Given that it's still on the spec sheet, I'm hoping it's just a miss in the manual....

Bluestraw said:
I saw that too, and I couldn't find any mention at all of the 1:1 resolution. Given that it's still on the spec sheet, I'm hoping it's just a miss in the manual....
The specs on the site itself goes:

Computer formats : 640 x 480, 60HZ, 800 x 600, 60HZ, 1024 x 768, 60HZ, 1366 x 768, 60Hz

Rolighed said:
The specs on the site itself goes:

Computer formats : 640 x 480, 60HZ, 800 x 600, 60HZ, 1024 x 768, 60HZ, 1366 x 768, 60Hz

Yes, but not according to the manual.....................

And isn't this the some company that was marketing this tv as having that motion flicker technology stuff originally!!

OK, I've played around with it for a bit now, and the quality through the digital STB is excellent. I occasionally notice some blockiness on BBC1, but I'm confident that this is the signal (since in general the quality is perfect).
Haven't managed to get my PC plugged in yet, but I did try to connect up my digital camera (a Canon Ixus 700).
Unfortunately, when I connected through USB, the TV froze on me and needed to be switched off and on again!! I then tried again, and the TV didn't freeze, but didn't recognise my camera either. Later today I'll check to see if Philips have released any software updates.
I next just took the SD card out and put it into the TV, and it worked fine - excellent quality browsing the photos.

Regarding dimensions (in cm), these are:
Height (including stand): 68
Width: 100
Depth of TV: 10
Depth of stand: 24

Next steps are to fire up the PS2, and to get my laptop connected...

Apart from the USB incident, I have to say that so far I'm very impressed with this television.

In the meantime, I've attached a couple of photos. These show:
- Sony STB
- TV
- Roku Soundbridge
- Panny SAXR70 receiver and PS2
- Mission NXT speakers on wall

Attachments

• TV.jpg
    TV.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 349
stotten said:
OK, I've played around with it for a bit now, and the quality through the digital STB is excellent. I occasionally notice some blockiness on BBC1, but I'm confident that this is the signal (since in general the quality is perfect).
Haven't managed to get my PC plugged in yet, but I did try to connect up my digital camera (a Canon Ixus 700).
Unfortunately, when I connected through USB, the TV froze on me and needed to be switched off and on again!! I then tried again, and the TV didn't freeze, but didn't recognise my camera either. Later today I'll check to see if Philips have released any software updates.
I next just took the SD card out and put it into the TV, and it worked fine - excellent quality browsing the photos.

Regarding dimensions (in cm), these are:
Height (including stand): 68
Width: 100
Depth of TV: 10
Depth of stand: 24

Next steps are to fire up the PS2, and to get my laptop connected...

Apart from the USB incident, I have to say that so far I'm very impressed with this television.

In the meantime, I've attached a couple of photos. These show:
- Sony STB
- TV
- Roku Soundbridge
- Panny SAXR70 receiver and PS2
- Mission NXT speakers on wall

Thanks for the info, keep it up I'm on the verge of ordering, can you add width of stand is it the same as television 100 or less

so what is the difference between this model and the 32pf9986 that I have as stotten's picture looks identical to my 9986 (apart from the stand)

Kev

MartinPerry said:
Thanks for the info, keep it up I'm on the verge of ordering, can you add width of stand is it the same as television 100 or less

The stand is 70cm long.

- Steve

kev00 said:
so what is the difference between this model and the 32pf9986 that I have as stotten's picture looks identical to my 9986 (apart from the stand)

Kev

Kev,

Apart from a couple of dubious extras (USB/memory card support), I believe that for SD pictures the models are pretty much identical. However, the 9830 is better at HD, as it has an enhanced version of Pixel Plus 2 that doesn't downsample.

Following up on the USB incident from earlier, I'm no longer sure that the TV did freeze up. From further playing around, it seems that the remote control is quite fussy - you have to aim it at a very particular area of the TV - so it could be that I wasn't pointing it "correctly".

Hi Steve,

Any chance to test the PC functionality yet? Sorry to bombard you, butt this is the part (1:1 pixel mapping) that's really of great interest!!!

Also, could you test something regarding the automatic widescreen switching when using your STB? Is there a mode which lets the TV show proper 4:3 (i.e. with black bars at left and right) or proper 16:9 (fullscreen), controlled by the STB (i.e. depending on which channel you're watching? I think the problem on the 9986 was that the only 'auto' mode would stretch a 4:3 picture, although 16:9 was showed correctly.

Hope you're enjoying your new toy!!!

OK - I plugged the laptop in (couldn't find my dvi cable though, so used the provided vga-dvi converter), and the TV seemed to display 1024*768 just fine - not sure how to judge 1:1 pixel mapping, but the display wasn't distorted and the entire screen was filled.
I would say though that once the screen is set up on the stand, it's a major pain to plug cables in.

Regarding the mode switching, I don't believe that there's anything that allows channel specific modes. As you say, the TV decides what's appropriate based on the picture and auto-switches.

So the picture is perfectly watchable with an RGB feed from a Set Top Box? Also will you be watching any HD content on this TV, I'd be interested to know you thoughts on that. Cheers ;)

Has anybody in the UK got their 9830 yet?

I ordered mine from John Lewis about 3 weeks ago and haven't been given an expected delivery date yet.

Dazzle said:
So the picture is perfectly watchable with an RGB feed from a Set Top Box? Also will you be watching any HD content on this TV, I'd be interested to know you thoughts on that. Cheers ;)

Absolutely - picture from an STB is just fine.

I do hope to use the TV to watch HD content - I held off getting a TV to wait for this model so that I have a good HD TV - but obviously the lack of HD sources is a bit of an issue at the moment. I'll definitely take a good look at the Sky package when it comes out.
I also hear Samsung intend to release dual BlueRay/HD-DVD players later this year, but as with most of the cool stuff, it'll probably be a while before it makes it here to the UK...

stotten said:
Regarding the mode switching, I don't believe that there's anything that allows channel specific modes. As you say, the TV decides what's appropriate based on the picture and auto-switches.

The problem with the 9986 is that it cannot autoswitch between 16:9 and 4:3.
It can only switch between 16:9 and "stretched" mode where it fills the screen with distorted content from a 4:3 signal.

This was a disappointment (at least to me), because earlier Philips TVs did this just fine.
Philips says "it is the way this TV is designed". Sure, but that design is bad.
It looks like it has not improved in the 9830.

I have skimmed through the 9830 manual and it looks like some of the gripes have been solved. Like the cumbersome way to select an external input and the lacking capabilities of the remote (no way to control other-manufacturer equipment).

stotten said:
OK - I plugged the laptop in (couldn't find my dvi cable though, so used the provided vga-dvi converter), and the TV seemed to display 1024*768 just fine - not sure how to judge 1:1 pixel mapping, but the display wasn't distorted and the entire screen was filled.
I would say though that once the screen is set up on the stand, it's a major pain to plug cables in.

If the 1024*768 image covers the whole screen (i.e. no black side bands) then it is not 1:1 pixel mapping, and some scaling is involved as this is a 4:3 ratio resolution.

Can your laptop feed 1366x768 (Whole screen), or 1280x720 (Black bands all round)?

My TV scales PC input to fit the screen, and autosenses and displays the VGA input resolution. Have you looked through the menu options, can you turn off DVI scaling?

Rolighead,

Have you received your new TV yet? If so, how's it looking?!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom