The $300,000 Movie Collection

Mr Lime

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We all have a "to watch" pile, but this is ridiculous!

Over 15,000 titles but he has only watched around 200 of them and spends approximately $15,000 per year on adding titles! In other words he'll never watch more than a small fraction of his collection. Obsessive and a shameful waste.

Last edited:
I think it's wonderful! We're all the same just to a lesser degree and if we were rich we'd be closer to him.

Scorsese collects film prints I believe so different obsession but both healthy guys as they're not blowing anyone up.

It is obsessive in the extreme and no, we're not the all the same.

I've watched almost everything I own and I never buy anything that I don't intend to watch. Out of 2,000+ Blu Ray titles and over 1,000 DVDs I have a "to watch" pile of about 15 titles and they will be watched. Anything I know I'll never watch again gets moved on.

He's spending around $15,000 to $20,000 dollars per year on new titles. That's round about 1,000 titles being added every year. Firstly, when dealing with that number of titles, there is no quality control in place, he's simply (as he states) "buying them by the pound" and filling shelves with anything that is released. Secondly at the rate he watches them (approximately 200 in 20 years of collecting), he will be dead before he has even watched a tiny fraction of his collection, as at the present rate he is buying 99 times the amount of titles he watches in a year - and that's in addition to approximately 14,800 titles he hasn't watched.

The giveaway is when he states that he would be very upset if he found that someone had more discs than he had. That statement shows that this isn't about a love of cinema or even home cinema, otherwise in 20 years of collecting he would have watched more than 200 discs. That's an average of 10 per year. Many of us on here watch that many in a week - I've watched 11 since Sunday!. No, this is all a rather a rather childish OCD about who has "the most toys".

Nothing "wonderful" about it - it's digital gluttony.

I wonder how much Music Magpie (or their US equivalent) will offer for his collection after he dies? :p

Mr Lime your post makes you sound sanctimonious.

Like I said, he's not blowing anyone up and and we're ALL like him to a lesser degree or we're on the wrong forum.

Sounds like he's paying with Greek Euros too which another good thing.

"I have probably not watched more than 200 of those"

Does that mean he has watched less than 200? Seems unlikely. To me it sounds like there are at least 200 that he hasn't watched.

Does that mean he has watched less than 200? Seems unlikely. To me it sounds like there are at least 200 that he hasn't watched.

To me, he's only watched 200 from his collection.

Lets do the Math shall we?:p

15,000 titles

14,800 watched

A very conservative 90mins per film= 1,332,000 mins he has watched in total (14800x90).

22,200hrs (1332000/60)

Lets say he watches 2 films a day (ie 3hrs per day seems reasonable)
7,400 days (22200/3)

So to watch 14,800 films, he has been watching 2 (90min) films a day, every day for the last 20.27 years...

Ummmmm no, I'd say it's what he said, "I have probably not watched more than 200 of those".

He's actually bought way more than 15,000 titles as well, as he says that when the Blu-ray comes out, he gets rid of the DVD/Laserdiscs unless there's a particular reason for keeping both (ie collectors packaging)...

It's his hard earned cash, he can spend it how he sees fit. I agree with @Karlin, to some degree, a lot of us are like that. If I had loads of cash, id probably spend a bit more on my system and make sure I'd have plenty of flicks to watch!

At first I found myself agreeing with Mr Lime's sentiments but the chap in the video said out of 15,000 films he's probably not watched 200, which makes him a star in my book.

So to watch 14,800 films, he has been watching 2 (90min) films a day, every day for the last 20.27 years...

Ummmmm no, I'd say it's what he said, I have probably not watched more than 200 of those".
It appears he's got the money maybe he's got the time. I've got a spreadsheet detailing what i've watched the past 15 years and I've averaged just over 450 films a year which would equate to 9000 films over 20 years and I've balanced that with full time work and a busy family life.

It's his hard earned cash, he can spend it how he sees fit.
Apart from stating the obvious that's a pretty big assumption. How do you know he's worked hard or worked a day in his life?

Good on him, considering the shit that goes on in the world this is the end of the news fun story.

1500 and only watched 200 , and I thought some on here elitist.....pffft amateurs ;).

Ah just rewatched the beginning of the clip (carefully) & he's just not expressed himself very well.

'Do I watch them? About 15,000 movies...I probably have not watched more than 200 of those'

Can be interpreted both ways really.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt as he also says he collects as sometime he wants to watch a film & the films aren't available for streaming or sold out on Amazon, hence he collects discs for his collection. The lack of streaming would only be an issue if he is actually watching his films :thumbsup:

I agree that we are (or were) like the guy in the video to some degree when it comes to our movie collection. For me, i used to collect DVDs obsessively, buying regularly in the shops or online. I used to buy many limited editions but ended up selling most of them. I had around 400 DVDs at one point and probably only watched 1/4 of them. Many would still be shrink wrapped. I actually still have a Matrix DVD trilogy box set R1 which I've not opened!!! I don't buy blu Rays as much now although I've been buying loads recently with nowhere near enough time to watch them.':(

Seems a harmless enough hobby to me. Some folk collect stamps, some coins, some Burger King Toys. What's the difference here - other than envy?

Regards

Mark

I'm very envious of his home cinema setup!
I think it's a harmless hobby except for the fact it seems to be born out of a desire to have the biggest collection of movies in the world, rather than any actual love for the movies themselves. It's sad more than anything BUT if it makes him happy then let it be. I have around 500 DVDs and 200 Bluray myself and can understand the compulsion. I haven't watched maybe 8% of the collection and to be honest there's stuff there I wasted good money on and since the DVDs are worth next to nothing it feels like a bit of a waste.

Good on him if he can afford it which from his house looks as though he can easly afford it.
I think its in most males psyche to collect or store, looking at the bookcase behind me I don't think Ill get though them all in this lifetime, the rate I can read.

I'd kill to have a house like that with a man cave like that. Well not literally kill, because karma's a bitch.

I'd kill to have a house like that with a man cave like that. Well not literally kill, because karma's a bitch.
Its to hope Karma not her indoors and reads this forum.:)

He'd be a pooper on the 'What was your last HD DVD/Blu Ray purchase thread!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom