1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The "28 inch" Sony KV-28FX65

Discussion in 'TVs' started by bigH007, Jul 3, 2001.

1. bigH007

bigH007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone purchase this TV as yet? It has been given great reviews by What video&TV.
    I had a good look at this TV for weeks in different shops,also with DVDs and I can see why it has been highly recommended. Using 100 hz it is one of the most stable and clear pictures I have seen so far. I did not notice any smearing or dot crawl which tends to affect some 100 hz TVs.
    I have looked at the Panasonics and Toshisbas and I notice while playing DVDs on the Pany there was some interferance running across the screen.
    Therefore I am will looking at purchasing the Sony TV.
    Anyway has anyone come across any problems with it so far?

2. Darren_L

Darren_L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've just taken delivery of my brand new Sony KV-32FX65. Will let you know how I get on when I've played with it some more.

Only draw back so far is that it ways an absolute ton ;)

3. bigH007

bigH007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers mate, thanks for telling me about the TV weight.
    I get started on doing some weight training !!!!

4. Piglet

Piglet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    gasp... a 100hz tv that dosnt have smearing problems?! i want it!!!!! i have had sooo much trouble with tv's :( i spend hundreds and hundreds on a panasonic pk25, and it dissapointed me sooo much. and now i have a pk3 which is 50 hz but i miss the non flicker a bit, and games look stunning as they are a pure digital scource...right? and im actually considering getting another 100hz, even though it will mean losing hundreds of pounds due to me only getting a part exchange rate. :(

if this tv IS non smearing then please let me know! ive had all sorts of problems after spending so much on sound and picture, that i honestly feel like chucking it all in and starting again. i guess, we all make mistakes.

but is 100hz really beneficial on a 28" set? or even worth it as its not exactly big?? i would like your oppinions please. bear in mind that i will be mainly using it for games (psx, gamecube) and DVD's. analougue tv will only be watched occasionally. maybe the smearing problems arent as bad in games and dvds??

thanks

5. Piglet

Piglet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    gasp... a 100hz tv that dosnt have smearing problems?! i want it!!!!! i have had sooo much trouble with tv's :( i spend hundreds and hundreds on a panasonic pk25, and it dissapointed me sooo much. and now i have a pk3 which is 50 hz but i miss the non flicker a bit, and games look stunning as they are a pure digital scource...right? and im actually considering getting another 100hz, even though it will mean losing hundreds of pounds due to me only getting a part exchange rate. :(

if this tv IS non smearing then please let me know! ive had all sorts of problems after spending so much on sound and picture, that i honestly feel like chucking it all in and starting again. i guess, we all make mistakes.

but is 100hz really beneficial on a 28" set? or even worth it as its not exactly big?? i would like your oppinions please. bear in mind that i will be mainly using it for games (psx, gamecube) and DVD's. analougue tv will only be watched occasionally. maybe the smearing problems arent as bad in games and dvds??

thanks

6. bigH007

bigH007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, I do not think you will get this 100 hz problmes with DVDs I had a look at a DVD playing using the 32" version of the Sony FX65 and it it looked clear as well. However I need more time to investigate this.
    I must say that in Currys they had a DVD film playing on the Sony, Tosh and a Panny at the same time (do not know the models of the latter two). I defintely picked up interferance on the Panny, to me a looked like a hazy vertical line moving across the screen. I did not notice this on the Sony.
    The main reason I am going for the 100hz is because I will be upgrading from a 15" TV I had for 10 years to a large screen. The flicker of the 28" does my head in.

But then again this is my opinion.

7. bigH007

bigH007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Darren_L, can you tell me how your TV is doing so far? Is it suffering from the typical 100 HZ problems?
    I had a look at your model in the stores yesterday playing on DVD, the picture was clear and sharp. Also teletext was good as well.
    I did notice that you still get a black bar on the top and bottom of the picture when playing DVDs. On the Sonys you can expand it out to fill the whole screen however the picture looks out of poportion. Did you notice this as well?

8. Piglet

Piglet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    all widescreens have borders on the dvd unless the dvd itself is an anamorphic 16:9. there are sooo many different sizes on dvd, that most will have some sort of border on any tv. and yes it looks out of proportion wen filling the screen becasue it would have been zoomed to cover up the borders. when dvd's are programmed to fill the whole screen then they will look great. well mate, dvd's would look decent and teletext is just a still image so its bound to look rock solid. in my experience, analougue tv looks horrible and washed out on 100hz, and sometimes even when the reception is perfect there can be a sense of lag that makes it hard to watch. speed was on the other day and it seemed to jerk all over the place. it depends on the scource materrial though as i was watching this jon van damme film a few weeks back and it was....oh my god superb, easy to watch and an almost scary amount of detail. with dvd's im not sure. i never really tried them before trading my tv in :/

games however i think are overall better. they often use bright rasping colours and contain quite a lot of still images. ones with horizontal movement can look a bit horrible but i tried MSR on dreamcast and tony hawks 2 on psx and they looked so detailed and stable.

i guess there are advantages and dissadvantages of both, but overall im starting to wish i kept my 100hz 28". :(

im actually thinking about selling this pk3 and getting ANOTHER pk25. damn, then overall i would have spent over 1200 just on THAT!!! considering its worth £660 online!!!!! oh well. but im not sure if that is the best 28" 100hz tv. i would phone home entertainment mag and ask them about whats best. i agree than flicker can be annoying. i was used to my 100hz still screen and i didnt realise how annoying it was until i switched back to 50. its just like, your aware of it so you look for it more and get more ****ed off with it. most people say its not needed at 28" size. but its still regarded as a good thing to have even if it isnt essentil. just hold off of buying that sony one just yet as there may be better and cheaper tv's in the same kind of feild.

9. Darren_L

Darren_L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well, I've had a chance to play about with the new TV and so far no problems. Setting it up was very easy with on screen menus and automatic sorting and tuning etc.

I use it mostly for watching DVDs but I haven't noticed any of these "100Hz problems" that you mention (though I'm not an expert in these matters). I watched some progs though both the standard ariel and the NTL box and everything seemed to be OK.

The DVD is connected directly to AV1 using an IXOS scart cable, and the DVD output is set to RGB. The sound for DVDs is handled via my Dolby Digital / DTS receiver.

The remaining two AV inputs/outputs (the AV4 on the pop-out side panel is only input) are not RGB, but are S-Video/Video.

I'm very impressed with the set so far. My previous set was a rented Panasonic 28" TX-W28R4 (presumably 50Hz?) and the Sony is far better than this both in picture quality and in user-friendliness. There are some neat features (to me at least) on the Sony:-
    eg
    The teletext is "intelligent" as it will store the "subpages" (page xxx-01 xxx-02 xxx-03 etc)of the main page and allow you to scroll between them without waiting fro them to be reloaded from the ariel signal - something the Pansonic didn't do.
    You can "map" the AV inputs to the main channel numbers so that you don't have to switch into AV mode to watch DVDs etc.
    The smartlink/Q-link facility is active on all threee AV channels (it was only on AV2 for some reason on the Panasonic).

I don't have a games console so I can't comment on this.

The only thing I'm not so keen on is the supplied stand, but I'm getting a new Optimum2000 AV stand soon. If anyone is looking for a stand for this TV (they're sometimes cheaper without the stand) I'd probably be willing to sell mine.

Piglet, I'd definitley have a look at this TV set, but please don't buy one just on my recommendations. Perhaps a good dealer will let you demo it with your required sources and games consoles to see if you like it. Another option would be to rent one for a while to see if you like it before buying it.

10. bigH007

bigH007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Darren_L, cheers for your indepth review of this TV. I have been for a long time studying this TV and felt that this one was the one to purchase.
    I too did not notice the 100 HZ problems myself, I also went to different shops to see if there would be a difference and there were none.
    I would be using this TV for DVDs and normal TV programmes, games not at the moment.
    So soon I would be off to John Lewis to see about the price also I hear that you get a free 5 year warrantee as well.

11. Piglet

Piglet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  12. bigH007

bigH007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Piglet,
    I hope we are talking about the same Sony model the one I am looking at is the SONY KV-28FX65U. This model was reviewed on this website a few months ago. If you do a search in Hardware reviews on this site and search for Sony TVs, you will see the review on this model.
    I believe the one on the home entertainment site is a different model.

13. Darren_L

Darren_L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  14. Piglet

Piglet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no it isnt reveiwed on this site. the 28wx60 is but not the 65. they are different tv's i know, and the one on home entertainment is the 65, the one u mention. the 60 is an old ugly thing.
    http://www.home-entertainment.co.uk/grouptest_read.asp?GroupID=1239&ArticleID=1252

that has a reveiw of the latest jvc model which it says is the best nicam tv around. i know its a bit bigger but it apparantly far out performed even the panasonic 32pk20, and dosnt suffer from 100hz problems. plus its the same price as the sony 28". please research around and broaden your mind. i wish i did. i lost out becasue i was too quik to decide before and now im gonna end up wasting over a £1000 from selling and exhanging etc. but i sympathise, that it is very difficult. wen u get the tv home it will be different to wen u saw it in the shop.

15. bigH007

bigH007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well had a read at both reviews. The What video&TV magazine review brought me to the attention of this model some months ago. Having read the other review (Home entertainment)I am not that impressed with its contents. To be honest I felt that there was no indepth analysis of this model i.e. Features, performance, styling etc. All you got was some bloke ranting on about how heavy it is etc.
    While the What video&TV, broke down its review into different areas and dealt with the all important subject "100 HZ" and geometry problems.
    Finally they give you a test data sheet to tell you what they done and the results.

Therefore for me in summing up both reviews it still falls heavily in a good set to buy.
    I think any TV you will buy will have its problems and flaws. Therefore I guess at the end of the day it will always come done to personal preference.

16. Piglet

Piglet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    right...im gonna go into town and see it in action with the intention of buying it offline. but im still worried about over sharpness, and green picture. games especially may look a bit hard edged and severe. but ill check. i only have one top end tv shop in bath and they hate me lol. does it come with a cabinet online for £899?

17. tom32

tom32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had the Sony for a few months now. One thing that worries me is that when the picyure on my set is mostly black (eg film crddits etc.) a thin band of red,green and yello forms across the top left of the screen approx (1/3rd). This appears to disappear whrn the screen gets brighter. I have changed all of the settings and moved the set around the room (no mean feat) incase of magnetic interference. Any help?
    Otherwise the set is great.
    On thing... if the sharpness is set above approx 1/3rd the screen shimmers slightly when there is a lot of white on the screen. Sounds like a dodgy tele but I'm loath to go back to Currys who have so far managaed to replace one duff philips and keep its replacement (another fault) for two+ months when they broke the case!
    Cheers

18. bigH007

bigH007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Piglet,
    www.empiredirect.co.uk at this website they have it going for £886.66 including the cabinet. In case you looking to get online.
    So have you checked this TV out as yet?

Tom32, I reckon you should get the engineers in to look at this problem. After all you paid alot of money for it and it is still under warantee.
    Does this happen with DVDs,normal TV viewing or any other input sources. Have you disconnected everything from the TV except the outdoor aeril etc?

19. Darren_L

Darren_L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    tom32 it sounds like your TV has got a fault. I've not noticed any of those problems on my TV, eiher when watching DVDs via RGB, or watching cable/ordinary TV.

20. tom32

tom32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi
    thanks for your comments.
    The problem seems to happen no matter what the signal is or even if the feed is from only one plugged in cable either rf, scart rgb/other. Sounds like its a fault then.
    Cheers

21. ScottGreatorex

ScottGreatorex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The KV-28FX65 is a nice TV but have you looked at the KV-28FQ75? It looks similar but has a much nicer stand (its open fronted and doesn't look like a chicken oven!!!) its got twin tuners so you can watch two channels at the same time, its 100Hz and 50Hz switchable, you might ask why you'd want to switch to 50Hz but if you watch sport then you will probably get a trail effect of the ball in sports like football/tennis etc.

But most importantly is that this TV had DRC (DRC stands for Digital Reality Creation) and this improves the picture quality even better than a standard 100Hz TV. DRC doubles the lines of resolution on the screen to give you a better picture (it looks almost 3D to me) My Mum has brought one because in my opinion its the best picture quality on the market, its just a suggestion.

(By the ways it costs about £1400 RRP)

Cheers, Scott

22. Piglet

Piglet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you can also get that tv for a pretty reasonable £1050 with free delivery at www.techtronics.com or something like that. most other mail order places its a hundred more than that, so maybe ill ask around to see who can price match it. but you would be mad not to pay an extra £150 more than a 28fx65 to get it as its the best looking tv around and also apparantly has the best picture.

23. ScottGreatorex

ScottGreatorex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it does have a better picture. i work with them and i have compared the two side by side, so yeah its better. And its got twin tuners!! Still not sure why you'd need it. And 100Hz/50Hz switching.

24. Piglet

Piglet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    see my new post of NEW PANASONIC! , i wont buy the sony anymore as the new pnasonic coming out has been witnessed by me and HCC, at its unvieling, and it is the first tv to have absolutly no problems with 100hz, even scrolling credits are fine. AND its cheaper than the sony designer model. its out very soon. plus it has a stronger picture. i cant wait. FINALLY a tv that i will be happy with.

25. bigH007

bigH007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had good look at both TVs yesterday. Luck would have it that they had them on display side by side.
    Maybe I had not enough time to have a good look but I could not see much of a difference. I do not want to be paying over £1000 for a TV so I not sure about shelling out for the 28FQ75.
    So I would also review the new pany when it comes out.
    I cannot bear to hold off too long because my DVD collection is expanding and I need a good widescreen TV to view them on.

26. tom32

tom32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Further to my previously posted problem with my set I have now resolved the problem. Owing to previous problems with Mastercare I decided to approach the problem myself and find the solution in the service menu. This posting is just a caution to any tv novice out there considering the same. Do research first if you must change settings and note all of the orignal settings down first before you alter anything. This may seem obvious but there are some settings in there that may leave your set unwatchable.

Cheers,

27. Agent G

Agent G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

I have a sony kv28fx65.

Overall it's pretty good however i do seem to have a problem in that when there is a dark on light background you can see a ghosting effect to the right hand side of the screen.

This seems to occur on dvd's, sky digital, ps2 etc.

I have disconnected everything and tried everything one at once so that it is conneceted on it's own (no intereference from other equipment)

I have turned the sharpness down a bit and it is not as noticeable now.

I purchased from empire direct (good price and delivery) and so far i have had an engineer to look at it who said that this is a common problem with high quality sets to do with the processing etc.

Is this true ?? I have seen you mention smearing/dot crawl etc and typical 100hz problems. Can someone please explain to me EXACTLY what these problems are. What are the symptons I should be looking for ??

I have also had the set back to the engineers @ empire who basically said that there isn't really anything wrong with it ( he compared it with another set of the same model).

I have now had it swapped by empire recently although the new set seems to suffer the same as well.

I would really appreciate some help here guys. If possible I would like to keep this set but I have seen you talk about the new panny set and i May opt for that (may need to convince empire to do a swap ... although i have had the set since end of January this year)

Cheers

G

28. bigH007

bigH007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you get the same problem while watching normal TV (i.e. BBC2, ITV etc)? If not I read somewhere that you may have to set the processing level to low when watching input sources (i.e. DVD players etc) on the RGB interface on the TV.