The 25 Most Exquisitely Sad Songs in the Whole World

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by England2Canada, May 6, 2007.

1. England2Canada

England2Canada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
  2. scottie50

scottie50

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Lot of great songs there, I'd add Prince, "Sometimes It Snows In April" always does it for me:(

3. ufitsy

ufitsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +353
  4. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,651
    Abba

Winner takes it all:smashin: :rolleyes: :blush:

5. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    great song! the holy river, empty room and old friends 4 sale are some of my fave sad prince songs. weepiest moment had to be him covering the james taylor song "you've got a friend" for sheila e after she played a show in his studio when the A/C broke down and it was hot as hell, and she started crying when she was singing, and i swear there wasn't a dry eye in the house. all these grown men pretending they had something in thier eye!

btw, prince is coming to london in august to play a few nites at the millenium dome, it should be announced monday/tuesday. look out for live earth too

6. EricHitchmo

EricHitchmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Easily 'Mother' by John Lennon. That ends the debate.

7. lisa burrell

lisa burrell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John Burrell hear..

I am very Tempted to add Theme From M.A.S.H. (Suicide Is Painless) (Mandel/Altman)

I read somewhere that that song was written by a 14 year old boy the words were found in his room.

[ "Suicide Is Painless" is a song written by Johnny Mandel (music) and Mike Altman (lyrics), which is mostly known for being featured in both the movie and TV series M*A*S*H(without lyrics).

The lyrics were written by 14-year-old Altman for his father's film M*A*S*H. On an appearance on The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson in the 1980s, Robert Altman said that Mike Altman earned more than a million dollars for cowriting the song while he only made $70,000 for directing the movie. In addition to being sung by Johnny Mandel over the film's opening credits, the movie also features a scene that begins when Walter Koskiusko Waldowski, a dentist nicknamed “Painless Pole,” declares his intention to commit suicide, and the song is sung by Ken Prymus (playing Sergeant Seidman) during the suicide scene. At least two instrumental versions of the song were used as the theme of the TV series, in which “Painless Pole” was mentioned, but never appeared.

First released in 1970, it belatedly became a number one hit in the UK in 1980 after being championed by BBC Radio 1 DJ Noel Edmonds. The refrain is well-known:

incidentally sung by Mr Mandel on the original recording]

The one dose it for me and My wife is Forever By the Beach boys. I think sung by Dennis Wilson.

John Burrell

8. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,238
    When the Tigers broke free by Roger waters........gets me everytime with the last line "And that's how the High Command took my Daddy from me".

9. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    All superb suggestions and sadly, I know them all :eek:

Comically sad, I would add Genesis - Harold The Barrel from Nursery Crime

10. huwg

huwg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    "The Gunners Dream" gets me.

11. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,238
    You might as well go for broke and put Ernie-the fastest milkman in the West :D on your all time list.

12. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,238
    I dare not listen to that if its similar. The Tigers used to get me all choked up while driving to work and I have to say I dont come under the heading 'emotional' :)

We should organise a Roger waters Sob fest sometime :D

13. Woodywizz

Woodywizz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,132
    Always loved "Nothing compares 2 u" :smashin:

14. vexxed

vexxed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    That dam song allways makes me sad but mainly because it was the tune that allways got played at the end of school disco's when everyone would slow dance with their childhood crush, needless to say i never got to slow dance through out my entire school years so therefore this songs doesnt give me fond memories :(

Gary Jules cover of Mad World is pretty sad, especialy as it cuts in at the sad end of Donnie Darko.

15. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    the "original"/first released version is much better, sinead's vocal is pretty bad on her cover. the track was just an album track on a side project by a made up group called "the family" that prince used as an excuse to get away with releasing more songs as warners wouldn't let him release more than one album a year. manic monday was another of his throwaway tunes. unfortunately prince wiped his original vocals from the master tape. he recorded the whole album himself, bar horns and strings, and then got a guy called paul peterson to redo the vocals, took a few pix of some friends who were designated the band, and put the album out and with no advertising, it flopped. after sinead had a hit, he started playing it live, and some of his live versions are cracking. the original demo version of the rest of the family circulates amongst fans, just not that one song, altho there is an unreleased version with drums like sineads, the original had no drums at all which make the vocals stand out more, plus the great sax solo by eric leeds (his brother was james browns tour manager)

i'm sure the little dude will play it during one of his 21 nights in london "Earth Tour". i'm sure he'll do about 31 gigs in total, so it's 31-21 like his album name. he does like an aftershow after the main one, and the o2 arena has it's only smaller venue attached. only £31.21 a ticket including free cd, it's not a bad deal. tix go onsale friday from ticketmaster etc

16. Woodywizz

Woodywizz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,132
    You really love Prince don't you Unique - I admire anyone who has such a passion/knowledge for any artist :smashin:

17. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    more than life itself :D (actually thats what richard gere said after julia roberts asked "don't you just love prince" after he caught her singing kiss in the bath in pretty woman)

actually, the thing is, i love music so much, i have such a varied selection of music, and there are many artists and groups i love that i have everything released and more, like the beatles, pink floyd, rem, paul weller, the the, led zeppelin, roxy music, etc, those are artists/groups that have a fairly prolific output over a number of years, and then there are other artists like george clinton, miles davis, etc that have tons of releases and i have most of them

it's just that prince has a volume of work far greater than most, partly because he has his own studio, and partly because he does everything from write and produce, to play every single instrument himself. i've been to his studios a few times, where he has 5 studios in total, plus an arena size rehearsal space, and a 500 capacity smaller venue, as well as dance studio. his drum room is styled after the one that phil collins used. he built all this from the profits made on purple rain, as he arranged the financing on that himself, as before that movie he wasn't very famous at all. he created that album and movie to launch himself as one of the three biggest superstars of the 80s, along with madonna and michael jackson, and from then on he just made the music he wanted, regardless of what anyone else said

it's fairly well known that he has this vault full of literally 100s of unreleased full completed tracks, but not so known that he has fully completed videos for many of them, or that on average he recorded 2 fully completed songs per day, apart from when he was touring. his process of recording was also pretty incredible. he would usually start off by recording the drum track first, then bass, then keyboards, then guitar, etc, until the backing track was complete. mostly recorded in one take, no click track, no guide drums, he would lay down a complete drum track with breaks, with nothing to guide him. the music was just laid out in his head. after then, he would ask his engineer to leave, and he would sit in the control room and record his vocals alone, laying down up to 16 tracks of vocals, including backing harmonies, again, usually one take each. then the track was mixed, and in most cases that was the track 99% or 100% as it appeared on album, if it was released. no demos as such, not in the sense of how most artists work. pretty incredible stuff really, and thats just the studio side of things

unlike most of his contemporaries, he thrived on live music, so rather than tour to support an album, he created the songs to play live. not only would he play arena's or stadiums around the world, but afterwards he would regularly play a second aftershow in a small club venue, where he could just play what he wanted at that moment, from brand new unheard songs to cover vecrsions and impromtu jams. there isn't another artist in the world who does this to anywhere near the level of prince. i've heard of some people do it on rare occasion, but not on such a regular basis.

being a fan of prince is something that most non fans just couldn't comprehend, it's hard to explain really. we just want to hear the music, and we know that there is just more and more and more. and asides from all that, the fan community is tremendous, with people meeting up all over the world at gigs, and some of us having quite special contacts with band members past and present, as well as other staff members, which can lead to some very interesting situations. if you consider prince as being one of the 3 biggest acts of the 80s, imagine being in the studio with him after a show from 4am to 6am, chatting about music and movies, with some other big names, or being taken to the cinema to see a movie, with him hiring out the place after hours, or being invited to watch him rehearse in the studio, or soundcheck, or play piano whilst fans sing his songs or play his guitar. i couldn't say that any other artist i've ever been a fan of has done anything like that. and for someone who is such a big name (remember he played this years superbowl, and in 2004 his last american only tour grossed more than any other world tour including madonna and the stones) to not only remember you, but get you onstage, or pass you the mic during a show to sing, or sit right down in front of you to sing a song directed at you and yur girlfriend at a show, it's pretty mindblowing, particularly when many consider him to be one of, it not the greatest artist of the last 100 years, with even people like miles davis saying he's the mozart of his time

oh, and no, i don't have any prince posters, it's the music for me, and i don't wear purple or any of that crap either

and after all the tour excitement is over, it's back down to earth with a bang, to sit and watch dvds and eat pizza alone... until the next time...

oh, if anyone wants to see prince tonight in london (thursday 10th may), there's a secret show on at the koko (old camden ballroom) at 9pm till late, tix £31.21. checkout his website www.3121.com - it's much cheaper than his other secret gig on friday, which cost £10,000 (really!) - check the seating plan for the big gigs, it's in the shape of his symbol/former name http://www.ticketmaster.co.uk/seatingchart/148822/11423

18. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Everybody Hurts by REM always gets to me...

19. quarry2006

quarry2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +469
    I've always seen Prince as a modern day Zappa, really. Not quite on that pedestal - in fact, quite a way from it - but probably the closest there is in terms of work ethic, artistry and sheer talent.

For me Francis Albert always nailed songs of unrequited love because you could believe in what he was saying.

I Get Along Without You Very Well
    It Never Entered My Mind
    Angel Eyes
    Guess I'll Hang My Tears Out To Dry
    This Was My Love
    Good Bye

There's a ton more. They all hit home because, even when the lyric might seem a little trite, Sinatra brings such understanding and empathy to the lyric you can't help but be moved. In that voice you can hear that he's been there, and that makes all the difference. That's why no interpreter of popular music could ever touch him, then, now or ever.

Glancing though that list I could only say, out of the songs I've actually heard, that Johnny Cash's Hurt, Lady Day's Gloomy Sunday and, obviously, Frank's In The Wee Small Hours, really deserve to be there.

20. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    great song. i remember the samaritans posted the lyrics on a full page in the nme as an ad, as the song is about suicide. it was one of them songs you sing and know the words, but never take them in

21. Sonic67

Sonic67
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,173
    The Cure's album - Disintegration. The whole CD can put you on a downer. :smashin:

22. travid

travid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +646
    Nice one :smashin:

Mother Father - Journey

23. Rygar

Rygar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +274
    A much overlooked British band are James. And I believe they produced one of the most beautiful and saddest songs ever...Blue Pastures. I'll be surprised if anyone here knows it though.

The Smiths "I know it's over" comes in second for me. A sad song, but as usual for the Smiths it is tinged with humour.

24. square-eyes-baz

square-eyes-baz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +189
    Always on my Mind - Elvis?
    When I was a kid my dad used to sing "Are you Lonesome Tonight?" to my mum , they split up a couple of years later;) :eek:

25. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228

I've got Whiplash and it is a fine album and indeed a fine song, overshadowed by Waltzing Along I think

26. amgard

amgard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    I love a good emotional song, so here are a few of my favourites, in no particular order:

"I Can Jump Puddles" - Simon Nicol
    "Joe Peel" - June Tabor
    "I Find Your Love" - Beth Nielsen Chapman
    "She Moves Among Men" - Bill Caddick (or June Tabor's cover)
    "Unicorns" - Bill Caddick (or June Tabor's cover)
    "He Fades Away" - June Tabor
    "Who Will Sing Me Lullabies" - Kate Rusby
    "No Man's Land" - Eric Bogle
    "Days In the Park" - Teddy Thompson
    "Dinner At Eight" - Rufus Wainwright
    "Luka" - Suzanne Vega

27. vespats

vespats

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dont go away = Oasis (was written by noel when he thought his mum had a cancer scare)

A day i the life = The Beatles

28. krish

krish
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Astral Crescent, Zoovroozlechester, Betelgeuse V
    Ratings:
    +16,958
    Going To a Town - Rufus Wainwright
    ... from new album Release The Stars (out on Monday, but has been available by other means for weeks ;))
    - this was the song he performed on Wossy's show on BBC1 last night

29. amgard

amgard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    real heartbreaker: "First Christmas" - by Stan Rogers

30. England2Canada

England2Canada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    wowser.....I turn my back for a second, and you lot have gone all sad songs on me :eek: Unique....what a flippin essay you wrote back there, you don't work for a local rag do ya? :rotfl: