1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The 22 HS10 owners-give me hope

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Comer, Oct 20, 2003.

1. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    I see from Kramers that there are 23 owners (22 and myself). As some may know I have had absolutely flawless performance from this projector for six months and 300 hours. Then it began shutting down after an hour. This was eventually reduced to shutting down after 15 minutes. This, while not as common as the startup bug, is becomming quite a regularly reported problem on AVS. I bought a new lamp from pricejapan and it worked fine for a week and then I got the dreaded startup problem. It now happens almost every time I start the pj with 100 hours on the new lamp. This is a progressive problem as in the beginning it only happened occasionally. I am convinced that it is caused only by the lamp as it never happened with the original lamp. I have contacted pricejapan and the lamp has a 90 warranty so towards the end of that period I intend to return the lamp at a cost of about €40.

My question: is there light at the end of the tunnel? Are "The 22" now having troublefree operation of your HS10s. In other words, if I persist with this projector, is it your opion that it is possible to get to a fully functioning HS10, if there is such a thing ;)

I really love this pj, I recently added a 40 filter and the pq is excellent. Also the throw suits me as I can have it in the next room and if it lasts me a few more years I'm sure that by then pjs will have ultra ultra silent fans and having it in the same room will not be a problem.

Conor

2. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi Comer,

Sorry to hear that your still having greif, my second HS10 is now on 700 odd trouble free hours (fingers crossed said quietly;) )

The first one was replaced after it wouldn't fire the bulb at startup.

3. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Thanks for the reply John:smashin:

You have just started my "HOPE" train running

Conor

4. vulkan75

vulkan75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey comer,I'll add my ten pennys.

This is my 2nd hs10 with 350+hrs and not 1 problem and I mean nothing.........

Although, it has to be said the hs20 is a tempting, as a possible upgrade...hehee!:D

5. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    It surely is, (that's in the back of my mind-'hope the wife never visits this forum) but I heard a whisper that the throw will be shorter than the HS10 so it would not suit me. Thanks for the reply.

Most people only post when things go wrong. So far this is starting to get encouraging.

Keep em comin' the other 20:smashin:

Conor

6. malcolm

malcolm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Bought my HS10 from Nex nix with 65 hours on the clock a couple weeks ago.

Had it turn off a couple times on the first day, since then not a single slip. 111hours so far.

More chance of my eyes falling out at this rate! :eek:

7. Klippie

Klippie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Comer,

Myself and a friend bought 2 HS10's form the same shop in December last year. My mates PJ has now over 1300hrs on it and the only problem he has had was one of the fans would not start a couple of times and thats it. He uses it for dvd, games and tv.

I have not had any trouble with my PJ so far but it has only 250hrs on it. ( touch wood )

So totally reliable HS10's are out there.....

Klippie.

8. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Comer mate, don't you think its a little strange that you are encouraged by 2 blokes saying, "Well my second HS10 hasn't given me an ounce of trouble!" :D :D :D

BTW........I've had absolutely flawless performance from my projector (AE300) for six months and 1300 hours!.........and people said Panasonics were unreliable!! :D

9. vulkan75

vulkan75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In my defense calibos:lesson:

The first unit I sent backs was mainly do with 5 dead pixels not any real issues with its reliability.

As far as the ae300 goes eary days my friend:smoke:

10. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Good point:D

I would consider selling my HS10 and going for a new AE300 except for no 1:1 pixel mapping and the short throw lense, oh yea, and of course I would have to put up with Kramer throwing a rock through my window every time he passed by my house...I don't think I could live with his disapproval :D

Thanks all for the replies so far, you have given me great encouragement. Keneda (Pricejapan) has told me they have sold hundreds of HS10s and there is only about a 3% failure rate in those sold. However I wouldn't be surprised if he was a little inventive with this figure.

Conor

11. Markatlarks

Markatlarks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Comer - I am glad the CC40 is working for you!

I have just returned (Sony Collected it) my HS10 to the Heathrow Service Centre as I have the dreaded lamp problem.

As everyone else - it started with the lamp light coming on - and then after a few (20) hours it became almost a permanent fixture. Just switch off the PJ and back on again. All fine like this untill the other day - Watching a DVD - then 15 minutes into the movie - Darkness fell!
    The problem re-asserted itself about 5 times on the trot - then the failure rate increased - every time I switched it on - after about 2 minutes it woukld go off.

So I phoned Sony (I wont bore you with the details - but PCPro received a full report from me!) and after 90 minutes I got thru ( 0208 2832700 - then press 2 to get thru to progress department as they organised the collection). All they need to do the repairs is a copy of your invoice. Their terms of repairs are simple - you have to show proof of purchase - and it would seem that country of origin is not an issue!

Now my PJ has not been returned yet - it is still on the workbench!

However - to the point of this email - I asked them about the lamp problem? What Lamp Problem - I do not think you know what you are talking about!

Anyway I filled the guy in - Verbally I hasten to add - and copied him this (at the bottom) pdf file just to make sure he was fully aware of Sonys Internal fault reports;

I have a list of Sonys PDF files which relate to software for HS-10 etc and other important hardware issues.

While following a link on the HS10 Lamp Bug I incorrectly enetered the address to this document and came up with this one!

http://62.6.248.8/Indexes/pi/EB/Jun_2003/00032330.pdf

It is about 3D Gamma Software.

Also: For the Sony HS10

When an HDCP-supported DVI signal from a computer or DVD is
    input to the projector, HDCP authentication may not operate
    correctly, resulting in abnormal video.
    To correct the symptom, replace the QB board.

http://62.6.248.8/Indexes/pi/EB/Jun_2003/00032334.pdf

Also HS-10 - Lamp Cover Problem:
    http://62.6.248.8/Indexes/pi/EB/Jun_2003/00032331.pdf

Any feedback would be appreciated:

12. fozziebear39

fozziebear39

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I have had my HS10 for 6 months now, over 300 hrs (still waiting to be installed in cinema/shed - work in progress). In the living room ceiling mounted, excellent picture, just a bit noisy.

The odd fan not starting and a few false starts, hope it doesnt get any worse, if it does, shipping it in before guarantee runs out!

Not bad really, I mean, how many times does your PC fcuk up.

13. mutley

mutley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    4 months. 150 hours. no problems...

14. nomad3212001

nomad3212001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I can't really add anything useful to this debate, i am merely butting in to try and obtain info for my own purposes lol.

I'm getting ready to buy my first projector. I have been looking soley at dlp projectors but I notice how excited a lot of people appear to be on here about the new Sony H20?

What I would like to know is honestly, how do these projectors compare to a good DLP projector such as SIM 2 domino, NEC Ht1000 or the toshiba MT8?

I realise that a major advantage would be no rainbow effect but am also aware that LCD contrast ranges aren't as good as DLP.

Also a major factor for me is the throw ratio. I will have a 36' * 64 ' viewing area on my screen and I want it all used up lol But I can't really position the projector more than 8 feet away.

Thanks for any advice you can give me

Eddie

15. kotlewm

kotlewm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Only 150 hrs so far, no problems at all. Projector is in "table-top" orientation, jacked up at the front & back to get plenty of cool air beneath it.

16. Respectamonkeee

Respectamonkeee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    some 900 hrs on my HS10....

but everytime i say there's been no problems since the last shutdown...it happens again:laugh:

Only problems i had with it in the last 4 months (had it since march) was int he summer when it was like 99 degrees and it hated the heat...shut its self down...

been fine since then tho...just love the picture it has so will keep it for the forseable future:clap:

17. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,007
    2025 hours and counting on my HS10 and flawless since the day I got this (back in Feb I think)
    HS20 will more than likely make it's way to me at some time ;)

18. MrSafety

MrSafety

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    300 hours on my HS10 clock which I have had since March. Only had a false start once and that was in the very early days when the PJ was sitting on a small ladder/stool which had a padded vinyl top. Ever since it has been sitting on a wooden shelf and fires perfectly every time.

19. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Thanks all for the replies
    Am I reassured? Not really. Although some owners have achieved high hour usage on their projectors, most seem to be in the sub 500 hours category. From my reading on this and the AVS forums the alot of lamps fail at above 300 to 500 hour mark

But I've sent my newly purchased lamp back and if I can get a couple of years out of its replacement (about 1,200 to 1,500 hours) I'll be happy

Conor