• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

The 1st step for all new Plasma owners

badbob

Banned
Seems a waste of electricity. If plasmas need "breaking in" to such an extent should be done at the factory.

arad85

Established Member
Seems a waste of electricity. If plasmas need "breaking in" to such an extent should be done at the factory.
yeah.. at least plasmas only need breaking in. LCDs just need breaking ;)

Julie

Prominent Member

It most certainly is a waste of electricity, plasmas do not need "breaking in", this is fast becoming an urban myth perpetuated by guys like this trying to make a fast buck based on nothing at all. I would take this guy a bit more seriously if he would learn how to spell, on second thoughts, no I wouldn't!

Marcos

Established Member
If they did it at the factory, we'd be more for it on the RRP than we would in electricity bills :(

Marcos

Established Member
It most certainly is a waste of electricity, plasmas do not need "breaking in", this is fast becoming an urban myth perpetuated by guys like this trying to make a fast buck based on nothing at all. I would take this guy a bit more seriously if he would learn how to spell, on second thoughts, no I wouldn't!

just to clear up, that isnt my site or page, i was recommended that on another forum and for the past year on this avforums i have always heard of "break-in" being necessary

nbat58

Established Member
just to clear up, that isnt my site or page, i was recommended that on another forum and for the past year on this avforums i have always heard of "break-in" being necessary

I woulden't say necessary but preferable, some people buy a new car a drive it at a 100 miles an hour straight after they take it out of the showroom, while others treat it with care for the first few hundred miles.

Please don't go technical on me about comparing cars to plasmas, it is only a comparaison.

So you can either run it in or drive it fast, you take your pick.

I woulden't go the dvd route though, you best run in while using it normally @ lower settings.

bosica

Standard Member
i'm combining regular watching with ******** d65 settings with break-in dvd d-nice break in settings

AlexMcIver

Established Member
1st step: turn settings down to sensible levels for the first 200 hours
2nd step: turn the settings back up after 2 days because of the sudden realisation that having a £900 TV that looks so dim it's actually unwatchable during daytime is ridiculous.
3rd step: turn contrast up to 100% after a mere 70 hours and have no problems whatsoever.

Yeah, the importance of the 200 hour run in is massively exaggerated.

RODCULL

Established Member
To me it seems slightly telling the link contains a date from a couple of years ago. As I understand it, the need to 'break in' a plasma has got less and less with each successive panel generation. Five years ago or even a couple of years ago it may have been necessary, these days I'm not so sure. I've had mine for a month or so now and have been sensible with it, keeping the brightness and contrast a couple of clicks down from the defaults (which were around 50% anyway), but little more.

RODCULL

Established Member
Just to add it may also depend on what you actually use your Plasma for. To me there seems to be a huge difference between using it as a television and using it with a computer. For the former you're likely to be watching a broad range of channels and material, with different static logos in different positions, some with black bars at the top and bottom, some with black bars at the sides and some with no bars at all etc, in other words a good mixture. For the latter you're likely to have a Windows task bar, Mac Finder menu bar or desktop wallpaper etc in the same position for much of the time.

nbat58

Established Member
Pixel Protector

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJH7JKSgzzw

Seems you can't go wrong with this one. Not the first time this "review" has been linked to on the forum, but well worth watching again & again, makes me giggle every time, it's a classic:thumbsup:

He's given PixelProtector 9/10 and I would give the video 10/10, I got up this morning kind of grumpy...this video has definitely made my day (have not seen it before, even if I have it would have still made me fall off my chair).:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Thanks a lot.

AV Monkey

Established Member
Guys just watch this for the end part where the guy goes off on one about the animals. I was in stitch's brilliant accent.:rotfl:

Marcos

Established Member
That DVD is completely useless and will cause only uneven wear for your PDP. Use 16:9 movies or no-signal "noise" for break in. :nono:
I'm actually just about to try it for the first time now, i havent seen what it displays yet.

My fault for assuming the guy who made the disc did a good job

Marcos

Established Member
That DVD is completely useless and will cause only uneven wear for your PDP. Use 16:9 movies or no-signal "noise" for break in. :nono:
wait a sec, i just test it out, what is wrong with it exactly?

Is it because it "flicks" between colours and doesnt phase through the whole spectrum?

What if it did phase through the whole spectrum, would that then be a good break-in DVD?

Marcos

Established Member
You don't get balanced usage for R,G and B phosphors by using that DVD.
ah ok, that makes sense, do you know of a good downloadable dvd/video to use?

chambeaj

Prominent Member

nbat58

Established Member
He produced a second Pixel Protector review out of popular demand, a bit more serious this time don't ya think? Try & be serious, no laughing this time, the guy is doing his best! ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hz0htfoQqE

I like the "there's an apple with cinnemon next to it...hi hi":D:rotfl:

Guys, I think you're going over the top, just break it in while you're using it.

Thanks for the second link to the Texan man JulieBell.:thumbsup:

RoyMacDonald

Established Member
That's so funny. That guy should be an after dinner speaker.

Isn't that Vortex screensaver the beginning of Dr Who just before the Tardis appears travelling through time and space?

Roy

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom