• Hero's Every One of Them

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Zero's - They should have put up more resistance

Votes: 10 66.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fusewire

Been reading the sky news blog on the 15 sailors returning home from Iran, some say they are hero's while others say they shamed themselves by copitulating too easily and appearing on TV apparently saying whatever the Iranians wanted them to.

So are they heros or are they zero's ?

Either way I'm happy to see them home safely.

Jammyb

I agree with LGS, the world is not that black and white, nor do I want it to be.

Strobe

Ditto the above. They were doing what they have been trained to do. Brave, yes (any soldier is in my book), but heroes?, sorry, no. But they are definitely not zeros either. Glad they are home safe and well and look to have been well treated by the Iranians.

Sonic67

Banned
The way it is now unless you or others are being fired upon or under grave danger you don't want to pull the trigger.

They were operating under the UN and if they had fired could either have all been wiped out due to the amount of firepower the Iranians had or been investigated by SIB and locked up by our own government.

If it's a war it's different but we aren't at war with Iran.

What should happen is for the government to give more support instead of trying to do everyone for war crimes. Failing that spend some money and give the guys some better boats with .50 cal and automatic grenade launchers instead of rubber dinghys. Most of our navy is currently in mothballs at Portsmouth instead of being in the Persian Gulf to give back up.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/newspapers/sunday_times/britain/article1265414.ece

http://www.royal-navy.org/knowledge/news/index1.php?id=26

nheather

Distinguished Member
I agree, neither.

When I first saw the video of the woman giving her confession, my immediate thought was that she had given in too easily.

But then I thought about the threats of torture and abuse she would have received from her captors and then I realised that it would have been a very very strong person who didn't play their game.

It not like they were being held by a European police or government - they were being held by a country that probably cares very little for the human rights of its prisoners or of the Geneva Convention.

I would have no question in beleiving that they would carry out their threats and would probably play along with their games.

It will be interesting to hear how they were really treated when they get back - obviously no physical abuse but what about phsycological?

Cheers,

Nigel

Miyazaki

Distinguished Member
Whats that old proverb?

It's easy to be brave behind a castle wall

Duncan G

The Service personel were in a very difficult situation and had to play along with the Iran Government.

It was clear that the Iran Government were writing scripts for the prisioners to recite in order to cause embarrassment to Tony Blair. No one in the west was fooled (except the naive) into thinking the statements by the captives were there own words.

It's fine for the armchair knowalls safe at home to say what they would have done differently, these service people dealt the best way they could with a potentially dangerous situation. They acted with courage and dignity.

NackNack

Banned
What's the difference between this and us detaining Arab people in our country with no reason? None it seems.

chriszzzzzz

How many Arabs have we detained whilst they were operating under a UN mandate??? Your argument is not valid.

As for the fifteen. I think they behaved the only way they could. The Officers who had their apologies broadcast picked there words carefully and did not really admit anything. They were very careful to say 'We have been informed'. This makes anything else they said irrelevant because they only responded to what they were told by Iran which was not true.

No Hero's and No Zero's. The poll is a bit silly really....

Singh400

Distinguished Member
I don't care either way. Just glad that they are back with their families and that this situation didn't escalate into anything worse.

dc007

Something about this whole episode is very fishy.

If the British government is telling us the truth, then the 15 were effectively 'kidnapped' from Iraqi waters that they were legally patrolling, and therefore this matter cannot end here - we haven't even been given our boat back, which has then effectively been stolen ! Also, how can we be so incompetent as to allow what must have been a raid into Iraqi waters by several Iranian gunboats ? Why weren't they spotted on satellite ? Why didn't our patrol boat call for immediate back-up or air support ?

I'm beginning to believe we, the British, quite possibly WERE in the wrong, and we HAD, either accidentally or on purpose, strayed into Iranian waters.

If not, give us back out boat !!

Y

yaris123

Something about this whole episode is very fishy.

If the British government is telling us the truth, then the 15 were effectively 'kidnapped' from Iraqi waters that they were legally patrolling, and therefore this matter cannot end here - we haven't even been given our boat back, which has then effectively been stolen ! Also, how can we be so incompetent as to allow what must have been a raid into Iraqi waters by several Iranian gunboats ? Why weren't they spotted on satellite ? Why didn't our patrol boat call for immediate back-up or air support ?

I'm beginning to believe we, the British, quite possibly WERE in the wrong, and we HAD, either accidentally or on purpose, strayed into Iranian waters.

If not, give us back out boat !!

Maybe because the incident happened very quickly, we don't have access to up to the second satellit imagery they would have used the radar on the COrnwall but unfortunately it could not assist. What air support is actually avaliable, well non, the only aircraft th navy possess is the Harrier, take to long to scramble as for helicopters they have no gunships. I doubt they had chance to call for back-up but they had overwatch from a merlin or sea king so no need. There had been rumblings in the Iranian press of just such an incident. I think al it reveals in the long term is the games Iran is willing to play.

Mylo

Distinguished Member
What a stupid poll. Why do they have to either of your choices

I wish it had been a public Poll.

Anyone that has voted zero, does not deserve the right to vote in my opinion :rolleyes:

I will not vote as I am not qualified to pass judgement on these people.

Sonic67

Banned
Maybe because the incident happened very quickly, we don't have access to up to the second satellit imagery they would have used the radar on the COrnwall but unfortunately it could not assist. What air support is actually avaliable, well non, the only aircraft th navy possess is the Harrier, take to long to scramble as for helicopters they have no gunships. I doubt they had chance to call for back-up but they had overwatch from a merlin or sea king so no need. There had been rumblings in the Iranian press of just such an incident. I think al it reveals in the long term is the games Iran is willing to play.

Our Sea Harriers have gone.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/shropshire/4856774.stm

I don't think we have a carrier down there.

Most of our fleet is mothballed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6234473.stm

Some in Iran were calling on the guys to be done for spying. (Hardly spying if anything it was trespassing. What do you spy on? They were razzing about in a boat.) Anyway if you are looking at being hanged from the end of a crane I think a lot of people would go along with their captors.

Steven

Senior Moderator
This is a stupid poll

We are given two choices on the interpretation of the OP, who has no idea what the 15 servicemen were faced with in Iran. Shame it isn't public. The 10 who has voted 'zero' so far do not deserve to be able to vote. I will not vote as I am not in a position to vote - and neither is anyone else on this forum

Dave

Distinguished Member
IMHO every single person that signs on the dotted line to serve in our armed forces is a complete hero.

They sign up for years at a time, go anywhere their superiors send them, do the job that they are paid to do (for pretty crap pay to boot) and have to put up with armchair spectators judging their every action.

Our armed forces personnel deserve at the very least respect from every single citizen of this country and at best, unreserved admiration.

Well done to all of them and welcome home, 4 of our soldiers in Basra today were not so lucky. My heart goes out to their families and friends.

IronGiant

The consensus seems to be the poll is idiotic so I think we can close this one. Unless the 10 "zero" voters have something to say in public...

You have 30 minutes...

IronGiant

Closed. PMs to re-open are welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Disney+ confirms price increases coming in December
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published