The 10 best Dolby Atmos soundtracks

Slinkywizard

It has occurred to me recently the chasm that exists between an average Dolby Atmos track and a truly great one. 95% of Atmos tracks are barely discernable from a good 5.1, but the 5%? They truly elevate the experience.

Obviously, there is some subjectivity here. To some, more LFE equals better, and I can respect that. But for me LFE is like chilli sauce – use when necessary. I listen for a sense of space/three-dimensionality, clarity in the midtones where things can jumble on a lesser mix, judicious and impactful LFE, and interesting/creative use of height channels.

And although most of my top ten here are indeed 4K discs, one is not. I hope this doesn't upset the forum thread/category police, but it is deserving. Obviously, I would love to hear about any you feel I've missed, or let me know if you're shaking your head at this list and thinking 'Nah, mate' – that's what forums are for! Post your own list!

So, without further ado. In reverse order from worst to best... (although they are all AMAZING)... In my opinion, if you've just bought yourself a new Atmos setup, these are going to impress the most.

10. Black Hawk Down
9. Sicario
8. Blade Runner 2049
7. Kong: Skull Island
6. First Man
5. The Haunting Of HIll House (Netflix)
4. Mad Max: Fury Road
3. Guardians Of The Galaxy Volume II
2. Doctor Sleep
1. Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse

Last edited:

Nayfne

Distinguished Member
Pacific Rim 4k, all day long.

Donnacha

Distinguished Member
A few suggestions, mainly based on good use of the overheads (which is what draws me to Atmos) is:
- Pacific Rim Uprising (some great overhead and bass)
- Sicaro 2 (loved the helicopters flying overhead)
- Ready Player One (King Kong smashing his away behind and above me)
- Avengers Endgame (when Cap America calls the lightning from above)

featherhall

Distinguished Member
The fourth Rambo (the one in Burma) is demo stuff.

movieman1866

Game of Thrones has an exceptional Atmos track, way better than the majority of Hollywood movies and that includes some already mentioned on here. Decent bass levels unlike the filtered bass in First Man for example. Fantastic use of the overhead speakers, season 8 episode 1 when the dragons fly overhead is a demo worthy Atmos moment. Then there's all the little sounds, scenes within the castle walls truly surround you with sound, training with swords, horses, people talking etc. all from different directions and heights.

Distinguished Member
Imo 10 Cloverfield Lane is Atmos perfection. Honourable mentions go to John Wick, Dredd and 13 Hours.

featherhall

Distinguished Member
Imo 10 Cloverfield Lane is Atmos perfection. Honourable mentions go to John Wick, Dredd and 13 Hours.
Dredd is superb

Edit ..... removed reference to incorrect audio information

Last edited:

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
Dredd is superb and also offers a DTS X track
Yep. There are still arguments as to whether the PQ of the 4K is better than the French / Japan releases but I know for a fact the AQ absolutely destroys the French disc!

Slinkywizard

Dean

Doctor sleep better than Blade Runner 2049?! Still hard to beat in my opinion.

Some others not mentioned in no particular order:

IT Part 1 & 2
A Quiet Place
Mission Impossible: Fallout
Godzilla: King of the Monsters
Overlord
San Andreas
Aquaman
Alien Covenant
Fury

Last edited:

Slinkywizard

Doctor sleep better than Blade Runner 2049?! Still hard to beat in my opinion.

Some others not mentioned in no particular order:

IT
A Quiet Place
Mission Impossible: Fallout
Godzilla: King of the Monsters
Overlord
San Andreas
Aquaman
Overlord is great. And A Quiet Place. Both good adds. Too much LFE in Aquaman for me.

Yeah, Doctor Sleep is something else. It’s not loud and crashy-bashy for the most part but it is incredibly refined and, importantly, incredibly effective.

Dean

Overlord is great. And A Quiet Place. Both good adds. Too much LFE in Aquaman for me.

Yeah, Doctor Sleep is something else. It’s not loud and crashy-bashy for the most part but it is incredibly refined and, importantly, incredibly effective.
Have to admit I've only watched Doctor Sleep once so will give it another shot. Agree on Aquaman, too much bass! A fish swims by and the room shakes, not subtle at all, but good at pressurizing a room with LFE.

featherhall

Distinguished Member
I’d also recommend ’The Matrix’ - powerful stuff

Slinkywizard

Have to admit I've only watched Doctor Sleep once so will give it another shot. Agree on Aquaman, too much bass! A fish swims by and the room shakes, not subtle at all, but good at pressurizing a room with LFE.
With Doctor Sleep just set the volume as high as possible before the dialogue is overbearing and crunchy. The mix will do the rest. :thumbsup:

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
I had no idea you could get Dredd in 4K. Just ordered from the States. Thanks.
Wow. It was my joint first 4K purchase along with Ex Machina.....two years ago! :D

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
Havent upgraded my 13 Hours blu yet but that has the Atmos track too.

Nayfne

Distinguished Member

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
DTS Neo:X doesn't use Atmos type height channels, it's not the same as DTS:X

It uses 11 surround channels which incorporate a height element such as FL and FL Height a Wide Left and Right and a Surround Left and Surround Left Height and of course their opposite number.

You'd have to use the Neural:X upmixer to get your ceilings to work.

featherhall

Distinguished Member
Where do you the version with a DTS-X track dude? I've got the 4k Atmos version.
scrap that. Looks like the DTS Nei X is only the included Blu. Apologies for the confusion

Last edited:

google

Distinguished Member
One of the best uses of Dolby Atmos I've heard recently is in the film The Endless Trench on Netflix. It's about a Republican from the Spanish Civil War who hides for more that 30 years. The sound placement is incredible throughout the whole film.

Wedlock

There are so many titles with Atmos tracks that i really enjoy listening to but here goes :

Ready Player One
Pacific Rim (second as well)
Mad Max : Fury Road
Saving Private Ryan
The Matrix
Robin Hood
Midway
Ghost In The Shell (2017)
Godzilla : King Of The Monsters
The Great Wall
Everest
Lucy
The Matrix
John Wick 1-2-3
Hacksaw Ridge
Black Hawk Down
Spider-Man Into The Spider-verse
Aquaman
Deepwater Horizon
Fury

Honorable mention for me would be Apocalypse Now which is really well done for a movie that's 40 years old :)