The £2000 widescreen projector

Jeff

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have been thinking about this for a while and it looks like it works. The idea is to take a regular 4:3 XGA DLP or LCD projector and run it with a widescreen HTPC resolution of 1024x576. This allows you to use a 16:9 screen to its full without the problem of a huge overscan at the top and bottom of the screen. The benefit that I see is that you can buy a high end 16:9 screen ready for thee ultimate widescreen projector and buy a cheap XGA LCD/DLP. Yes you loose resolution on 4:3 stuff, but I don't run anything in 4:3 anyway, I always strech 4:3 stuff to fit my widescreen TV.

Jeff

Make sure that your projector is capable of remapping at that resolution or you could end up with a very strange result.<br />The theory is correct but I await to see what the projectors internal clock makes of it.

Most expect to see video, vga, svga xga all in 4x3 only when you get to SXGA do we change to 5x4.

Question. Do DVD Players output 16x9 or 14x9 in the UK.?

Jeff:

You still will get light overspill from the part of the panel not being used. Also it's unlikely the colouromitry of such a device will be that great. However, it does sound like an interesting idea.

It's pretty much what a Sim2HT200DM does when working with a 16:9 screen except it's only doing 480 rather than 576.

Gordon

I think they output as 4:3, then the tv will do the anamorphic thing, or the dvd player can letterbox it for you at 16:9 ratio so you can watch it on a non anamorphic capable 4:3 tv.

Gary

Perhaps this could be fixed by messing with the projector internally. I'm sure it would be possible to blank the top-most and bottom-most 96 pixels using metal plates or somesuch.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom