1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The £2000 question

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by mystex, Sep 18, 2001.

1. mystex

mystex
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've got 2 grand to spend and I've narrowed it down to 2 projectors. The Toshiba MT3, which I've seen for £1999, and the Infocus LP-340b(£1974). The infocus sounds fab (1300 ANSI lumens), but has anyone had a demo of it? Reviews are very good also. I have had a demo of the Sim2 200HT which blew me away-I didn't suffer from the rainbow effect though I wasn't looking for it so hopefully I'm compatible with DLP!

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    dont forget to try the sanyo.....

3. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    1300ANSI is a huge amount of light to throw at a home cinema screen. More light doesn't equal better pictures, so don't just buy the brightest projector for your money unless it is just for business presentations.

Home Cinema requires subtlety. Contrast and colour accuracy is more important than absolute brightness.

The Toshiba MT3 is plenty bright enough (850 ANSI). Infact, some folk think that even this is too bright and so use grey (rather than white) projection screens to tone down the power.

Have a look at the dedicated home cinema projectors from Sanyo and Toshiba. They're designed with features and picture quality enhancements that home theatre enthusiasts find important once the wow factor of a big screen has worn off.

Regards

4. mystex

mystex
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks alot for the info-will go back to the drawing board!

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277