1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The £10 Charge

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Gadjet, Apr 1, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Gadjet

Gadjet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    As anyone out there got any inside knowledge on, will Sky always charge £10 per month for there DigiBox. I am willing to spend the £200 and whatever to buy the Digi Box but definately not the extra £10 per month. So, the main question is will this charge ever stop or will it be there forever. And, if not does anybody out there agree this extra, EXTRA charge is worth it. I know Sky has to make a profit WITH THERE BROADCASTS but to me they are so grabbing, so greedy. They provide a good service, but there are SO many out there that cant quite afford the EXTRA PRICES. What are your thoughts.
    Phill. :confused:

2. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    For Skyplus+ £10 charge probably will last until the next increase, then £12, and so on, who knows. I can't see the charge being reduced, although maybe a lifetime one-off payment like with Tivo may come along.
    For Sky ordinary digibox, do you mean £10 charge to receive the "value pack" ?, if so, then it will only ever increase.
    If you mean £10 minimum subscription for first twelve months to benefit from subsidised Sky offering, with the better reception of "free to air" being the objective, then you pay nothing when the year is up, the box and dish are yours.
    Skyplus+ is superb, so is the service provided through the dish in general. As with all things only you can decide whether to pay for it.
    If you don't pay for it, it's only you who loses out. If you really can't afford it, that's fair enough, but if you just expect something for nothing, as far as Sky are concerned, forget it.

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

They might be making a round £100 million profit on the cost of programming againest subscriptions but they lost nearly 10 times that amount when you factor in the cost of supplying digiboxes and other running costs.
    SKY+ with the £10 sub is covering all it's costs, I don't like it but I do understand why it's being done.
    I would much rather have had the option of paying a higher purchase price which covered all the hardware costs and a healthy profit than a on going subscription.

As for people who can't afford the subscriptions, well that's life isn't it. It's only television after all and in the greater scheme of things is low on the list of priorities for all right minded individuals.
    I cancelled my sports & movies last year, I could afford to pay the extra £7 a month SKY demanded I just didn't consider it good value anymore.

4. cessquill

cessquill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I may be being quite ignorant here, so bare with me, but I'm not entirely sure what the £10 a month extra is for.

I currently have Sky Digital and was looking into upgrading to Sky+, but isn't £10 every month a little bit excessive for the extra features? I wouldn't dream of paying any money at all for using my video recorder (I know it's a little cleverer than that, but...!), or any other hardware in my house.

I pay for a TV licence, I pay for Sky and still watch an excessive amount of adverts on a set-top box that needs resetting every week or so as it grinds to a halt and functionality diminishes (maybe I'm unlucky there though, since it was an Amstrad box!). I'm a little put off shelling out a tenner every month, but I'm prepared to be wrong. £300 plus £50 installation plus £10 subscription increases seems quite a lot of money for a system upgrade to add a bit of extra functionality.

Is it worth it? (please say yes, since I secretly want to!)

5. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    It's worth it for me. Not having to hunt around for tapes, and not having to worry about missing a show in a series is what makes it so good for me. A friend taped "24" being repeated at the weekend as she'd missed the first showings. Unfortunately she taped the wrong channel. That just doesn't happen with Sky+ - you move the cursor over the prgramme on the EPG and press the (R) button.

Some people think that £4,500 for a Tag DVD player is worth it.

We all have different priorities and disposable incomes.

Cheers,
    Liam

6. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Putting £10 a month into perspective, it works out at about £2.36 a week, or about the price of ten cigarettes or a pint of lager! I find TiVo to be well worth that money just for the peace of mind and the very user friendly features it offers.