1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

THAT'S IT ive got the Pioneer 434

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by SteveRSF, Jun 27, 2004.

1. SteveRSF

SteveRSF
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well chuffed went back down to see all the panels again and have gone for for 434 it looked far better than the W6 and the PE 30 which i thought i was going for, but iv'e been converted..............well chuffed,just got to redecorate the living room now that was the deal redecorate and i can have the plasma!

Good deal, should have it done in a couple of weeks!
    At the mo will be mounting it on the wall...........just need to find a nice rack now to fit a the av gear into! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

2. PC Nut

PC Nut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Like wise stevesorted, had mine up a week now and well impressed by PQ for offair and digi cable via rgb scart looks reasonable to good pending on the channel bitrate. Have also toneddown the brightness and contrast also adjusted the reds as they were a bit OTT adding in my 868 next week end with the ax5i after the carpet fitter has been. Still got to wait for the new sofa another 10 weeks..............

3. VT 4 CCTV

VT 4 CCTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PC NUT,

How do you rate your sky viewing on the 434 ????

just asking in comparison to the PW6, which i found better than the 434 in a demo???

cheers

4. PC Nut

PC Nut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    VT 4 CCTV

I think it is quiet good but does not fair as well with lower bit rate channels, like UKTV etc
    I think the panasonic will have the edge here due to it being a Standard definition set rather than a high definition set like the pioneer. The reason for buying the set was due more too high definition material becoming avaliable like blue ray, euro 1080i and maybe HD on cable or satalite.

5. SteveRSF

SteveRSF
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yeah exactly the same pc nut............have ordered the carpet and the sofa :D
    the 434 comes with it's own tuner box so i have sky+ that just goes straight into the tuner box then?
    via optical and rgb?

6. SteveRSF

SteveRSF
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    To get the best picure etc. from the pio434 whats the best way to connect sky+ then please?

7. Quinny

Quinny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,

Congrats on getting the 434. I have just completed installing my new 434 and am extremely happy. PQ is very good (with the exception of some SKY channels). I see that PC Nut has made some changes to settings. Could you list these (including the reds etc)?

I have done a search on the forum but all values seem to relate to HDMI DVD. As I do not have an HDMI DVD this is not very helpful. I seem to have hit on something that me and the wife are happy with but I just want to make sure that I'm not missing anything.

Thanks

8. SteveRSF

SteveRSF
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    yeah a full list of the setting changes would be very welcome
    so i don't damage anything when fitted!
    Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

9. hammerman

hammerman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    in all honesty mate,get yourself a "DVE" disc! :thumbsup: ...........your screen will get better with age (had mine for over 2000 hours and its still getting better!)........also it will need furthur calibration,the older it gets...........so get that disc!

Then again,I seem to be one of the few people who thinks sky sports looks great on this screen.........

10. SteveRSF

SteveRSF
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thanks hammerman.....................what does the disc do and where do i get one from?

11. suzywong

suzywong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think Piero Milani is doing bulk orders. If you search on his user name you should find it

Edit: Yup, just checked...he is, £13....... cheaper than Amazon!

12. catdna

catdna
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had my 434 HDE for nearly 3 weeks now, and I've got to agree, the picture just keeps getting better and better - even though most channels on Sky are quite bad (the low bitrate ones), the improvement in 'quality' is noticable in just 3 weeks on low contrast / brightness settings.

One annoying thing I've found is the residual image left over from viewing teletext on analog TV - even after a few minutes - it clears quickly enough but does get the pulse racing slightly ;-) (and that's with contrast on about '25')

13. PC Nut

PC Nut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    The list of current settings i am using for a standard RF input from Roof top ariel:
    Picture AV Selection = USER
    Contrast = 25
    Brightness = -6
    Colour = -18
    Tint = 0
    Sharpness = 0
    PRO ADJUST
    Pure Cinema = Off
    Colour Temp = Low
    Mpeg = Mid
    Dnr =Mid
    Cti = On
    COLOUR MANAGMENT
    R = -9
    Y = 0
    G = 0
    C = 0
    B = 0
    M = +4
    I found these settings to be quiet good for my RF feed and your milage my vary due to signal strength etc, any way give them a go and let us know how you get on.
    I have not setup my RGB input1 or my hdmi. No time.

14. PC Nut

PC Nut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Had a play again last night after posting the above. I now have amasing blacks and browns and greys at the cost of a little grain and some pixel lag on fast moving screens. Im still working on the above to see if i can limit this further, also working on settings for my RGB input1 which has my cable box on. will post again later if anyone is intrested.

15. Quinny

Quinny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the valus posted so far. I'll give them a go tonight. And yes i'm interested in what ammendments you make. I haven't had much time to play with the settings and work/social life keep getting in the way. I'll let you know what I think probably tomorrow.

Cheers.

16. SteveRSF

SteveRSF
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the info pcnut................sounds a bit complicated being new to plasma................come along way from just adjusting the colour and contrast eh?................ :D

So as a rule should all these settings to adheared to from the start?

17. PC Nut

PC Nut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Like wise Quinny to much work not enough play.
    stevesorted. these are settings that i have found that work for me and that others may test out on their own screens, this will vary greatly due to signals being picked up and how good they are for good old crt if you had flaws in your signals ie grain / ghosting etc then you may need a different approach.

18. PC Nut

PC Nut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    For great blacks and dark areas on screen

Contrast = 10 Big change
    Brightness = +2 Big change
    Colour = -20 small change
    Tint = 0
    Sharpness = -3 small change
    PRO ADJUST
    Pure Cinema = Off
    Colour Temp = Low
    Mpeg = Mid
    Dnr =Mid
    Cti = On
    COLOUR MANAGMENT
    R = -9
    Y = 0
    G = 0 NO CHANGESC = 0
    B = 0
    M = +4

19. PC Nut

PC Nut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Contrast = 20
    Brightness = +4
    Colour = -20
    Tint = 0
    Sharpness = -3 (took alot of courseness out of picture)
    PRO ADJUST
    Pure Cinema = Off
    Colour Temp = mid-Low
    Mpeg = Mid
    Dnr = OFF
    Cti = OFF
    COLOUR MANAGMENT
    R = -7
    G = 0
    Y = 0
    C = 0
    B = 0
    M = 0

Improvements seen:
    Grass looks good on footie now, Blacks are good to great, mpeg artifacts are now reduced from source material- match a panny any day... go on have a dig panny boys. Whites are fantastic now I know a panny can't get close.. ;-)

Minor issues to deal with:
    skin tones can be a little reflective almost sweaty looking in dark scenes, also fast close up shoots can have a little lag but pics are 90% perfect.

ONLY 50hrs use so far And I hope that these will only get better as time goes on as previous post mention the 200hr burn in time and a little tinkering
    Hope these settings help others.
    Next weeks episode will be for hdmi via the 868i ....don’t bother tuning in next week panny boys :devil:

Ps only kiding about the pannys

20. Prodigal

Prodigal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi PC Nut,

I can still see that smile on your face. :)

I've been lurking here for few months, you guys' comments have made me really looking into the Pioneer models, everytime I visited the AV shops here ( I'm living in Hong Kong ) and found most of the Pioneer PDP-434HDG ( same as 434HDE in UK I supposed ) on display with strange image, most of them are grainy and greenish, howver, after reading so many positive comments in this forum, I reckon this is just due to the bad set up in those shops.

I will order either a 434HDG or a PA20 by next week for sure, I know Pioneer will have new model coming out in Sep to Oct time frame, but what the heck, they always do, don't they. :)

So, could you help to ease my mind on getting the 434? Perhaps I should get one to verify the setting that you've posted. :D

P.S. Due to bad TV ( analogue ) reception in my area, so I will go for DVD viewing for 90% of the time.

21. PC Nut

PC Nut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Prodigal
    Match it with the 868i and you can't go to wrong or you could consider a progressive scan player like the dv79 i think?

22. suzywong

suzywong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's got to be the 868 via HDMI.:D

I'm not biased,.......no really!:rotfl:

23. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    No :D - you should match it to an Arcam DV79 via HDMI. Same price bracket as the Pioneer 868i but a better overall machine imho.

24. PC Nut

PC Nut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    We seem to have got a little of track here guys.
    Have any off you got settings you'd like to share with us.
    Just had media box replaced for minor issue, so need to set all my settings. Thank god i posted them here to refer too on a day like today bable,bable,bable

25. Prodigal

Prodigal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PC Nuts,

I keep tracking this thread everyday to see whether you have any new foundings in your set up... :)

I have just ordered a Pio 434HDG and will be delivered in a couple of days, I know nothing about all the complicated set ups. I've just got a DVE disc as well, a bit worry about whether I can adjust it to its full potential, because I've seen so many badly set up 434HDG in the shops.

I've seen the demo of the 868i with HDMI output to this panel, the PQ was stunning, I once thought it was a 1080i source, but I've owned a Philips 963SA with progressive scan, I would like to give it a go 1st.

Hope you have new set up parameter ( for DVD viewing ) to share with us, definitely I will try it out. :D

26. PC Nut

PC Nut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Prodigal
    You do not say how your dvd (dve one in the same?) if not correct me. how it will be connected to your panel? if its by standard rgb scart then i should setup as per my AV1 settings and work from that point to suit you. Not using component at the moment but i shall be looking more closley at my hdmi input this week.

27. Prodigal

Prodigal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got my 434HDG today ( my mate got it yesteray ), I connected the component o/p with progressive scan from the Philips DVD-963SA player to the AV1 input port of the media box, tried out the MI-2 ( region 3 ) DVD, every set up was factory default setting, not so impressed by the PQ from the 1st viewing, I knew this panel needs very careful tunning and has to run it for more than 100 hours to get the most of it, then tried out region 1 " Fifth Element ", the PQ improved a lot, so I thought this could be disc dependent, but still, the grainy look and the tiny little blocks ( looks like tiny little droplets on the screen ) should be MPEG noise or artefacts was noticable, especially on the clear background, say the clear sky or similar scenes.

Then I just adjusted the settings based on your previous post, quite big difference if just compare the your values and the default setting, having done that, the PQ did improve a lot, I called my mate and told him to try your setting out, indeed he also had big improvement on his panel.

However, no matter how I adjusted the settings, the MPEG noise still there, tried all the settings on MPEG NR/ DNR, it seems geeting worse even I set it to "Hi", it's supposed to be better right?

Anyway, will leave it to run-in for 100+ hrs or so, will try to adjust a bit here and there to find any improvements.

I've found the black is black enough for me, the only time that I found it is not black enough is after switching it off, got relection from the indoor lighting :D

Really wanna try HDMI player in near future, do post your new settimg values or HDMI findings to us, it is really useful for newbies like me, looking forward to hearing it. :)

28. PC Nut

PC Nut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Prodigal:
    component input is only avaliable on AV3 on uk model and as i have no equipment connected via this at the moment it will be hard to give you exact information, i will be connecting an xbox with progressive scan later this year and might update this thread then on my findings. Can i suggest that you try dropping sharpness levels and any colour that appears to be very strong, i mean by this that you have any colour tinting in known white areas of the picture and adjust to suit. Not knowing your DVD player and its output options can i suggest you check all settings for colour modes etc

Also picked up info below about your player, not sure if applicable to your DVD playback for pal discs if you are using them at all?
    (Yes, it has component video outputs, and yes, it delivers the picture in progressive scan for those with a compatible monitor. Officially, this is only NTSC progressive scan at the moment, but all future DVD963SAs will be PAL progressive as well. In the meantime, there's a hack available to make the necessary conversion.)

You need to be using at least 720p or 1080i or the OZ equivilant not knowing your TV standard out in OZ, 1080i is best if possible as the screen only converts once and hence the least amount of processing the better the PQ

Will be posting hdmi settings soon but been very busy. Will also have new personal website up soon with hopefully close up's of PQ from plasma.
    Forgot to mention switch most of the pro settings off or to at least low (dnr mpeg nr etc) also try the pure cinema mode, let me know how you get on.

29. Prodigal

Prodigal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PC Nut,

Funny though, it says in my manual that the input 1 and input 2 just accept the same inputs ( component /S video /AV ), but only input 3 can accept HDMI signal. 95% of the DVD available here are NTSCs, so the PAL progressive scan is not an issue for me at least for now.

I've fiddled with different setting for a couple of hours, and noticed the MPEG noise & artefacts seems related on the discs more than anything, of course just few hours trying is not justified to jump into any conclusion.

Just let us know if your web-site is ready, it's it suitable for newbies like me? :D

Let me fiddle a bit here & there 1st, haven't tused my DVE disc for calibration yet, wanna let it run-in a while before doing that, will let you know later.

If you've come up any new settings, just let us know, definitely willing to try it out.

30. Randu

Randu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers on the Pioneer
    I have the 42" Elite since January and still need to pull up my socks every time I watch it.

As far a the component rack you mentioned, I have this one:
    Sound Organisation Z545
    The glossy black compliments the Pioneer frame quite nicely,and it's very well built for the $.