1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

THATS IT!!! I give up

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by dodgydaz, Jun 4, 2005.

1. dodgydaz

dodgydaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I am going slightly mad!!. I thought choosing a plasma would be fairly straight forward. My budget was 2k so I knew that I had only a few models to choose from.

Then I found this forum and that was that. I have been on this site every day for weeks. At work, I am spending at least 3 hours a day trawling through the threads, reading about the pros and cons of each model out at the moment.

It has now come down to this, and here lies my dilemma. :confused:

Do I get a PW7 (1k from RS), get a Yamaha amp for £300 or so, speakers for £200 ish, £100 ish for cables and another £100 for a cabinet. Total - £1700

or

Do I go £500 over my 2K budget and get a 37PV500 ped and a separate cab from JL. That 5 year warrenty is very tempting and IMHO worth the £100 or so that you may save by getting the plasma from AV sales or another internet retailer. On top of that, it does have all the bells and whistles- Freeview, SD slot, supposidly HD ready (but we shall see), and does look very nice (the wife likes it so thats a plus).

But I would be spending £800 more than if I went for a totally separate system.

What do I do.? Is there anyone else out there in a similar situation at the moment? This is a big decision as you all know and £2 and a half grand is not pocket change (will be paying this off for the next year at least on my credit card).

Please someone put me out of my misery and tell me what I have to do. :lease:

2. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First thing first mate - INTEREST FREE CREDIT!! DO NOT put this on a credit card...unless you have a 12 month interest free option that is.
    Try Sevenoaks...they do a 6 month interest free option. Kit may work out cheaper elsewhere - but, after you add the interest from your CC, have you really saved any money...?

I think there are probably a few more options out there that you haven't looked at. I only "study the market" when i'm shopping for kit, but as I'm pretty happy with my setup at present, I really couldn't help you with prices/models etc...

3. Moncs

Moncs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm going to be getting the Panasonic PV500 42", and putting on my 18 months interest free Capital One card. Best way to go m8

Other option is to goto Shop@Panasonic who offer 12 and 18 months interest free deals

4. dodgydaz

dodgydaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Just got a Morgan Stanley card with 6months interest free so dont plan to pay interest if I can get away with it. Have not looked at Sevenoaks recently so will look at their site and see what they are offering. Thanks guys.

p.s. Am I doing the right thing thinking about spending 2 grand on a tv with a 5 month old baby in the house. !!!!

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Course you are, you're not going to get out much for the next 13 years!

6. jeth7

jeth7
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dodgydaz,

I'm in the same situation at the moment. I've been looking through this very useful forum for the last couple of weeks as well to help me decide what to go for.

I'm deciding against the HD option at the moment because remember that you'll need extra kit to view the hd dvds (more money) and sky hd (more monthly money). The pw7 is what I'm looking into. The PQ quality looks very good with the VGA connection and in 2 to 3 years time, get a hd unit (plasma/lcd) and put the PW7 in the bedroom.

I'd love to see the pq for a pw7 connected using vga with sky and dvd (using the rgb to vga interface) to speed up my decision.

Cheers

7. NWhiteley

NWhiteley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    :hiya: 18 months interest free capital one card.... how?... the best i can find is 6 months :(

8. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Anyone care to post the link for the sevenoaks site, google ain't hittin the target.

9. jeth7

jeth7
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  10. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maw youre so dry! :D

11. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But so honest...!! :eek: :D

12. Moncs

Moncs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I was on the forums on http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ and a few people mentioned this as they had recieved promotional leaflets in their local paper, so I asked to send one upto me which someone did and I was offered the 18mth IFC on BT :D :D

Try calling Capital One saying you sent in your application for the 1mth IFC and you have not heard anything, you can always try and bluff

13. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    That's taking into account he doesn't let his passions get the better of him again in 3 years time or it will be longer than 13 years.....

14. dodgydaz

dodgydaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    GrahamC
    That's taking into account he doesn't let his passions get the better of him again in 3 years time or it will be longer than 13 years.....

NEVER AGAIN. One child is more than enough. People keep telling me though that I will change my mind and have another but I am a bit selfish and am thinking about the cost. I love my lad to bits but he's cost me a fortune so far!!!! :rolleyes:

This is my dilemma. Is a HD panel worth getting now? I really begrudge giving Sky any more of my money. Sky + is great but the problem is Sky knows it, which is why they charge a stupid amount of money. Whats worse is that I paid £250 for a box and "installation" and now its 99 quid- gutted! :thumbsdow

If anyone knows of a really good deal with credit cards, please let us know. The 18 month offer from C1 sounds great but is that something anyone can apply for or is it just for people that C1 deems worthy?

15. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Do barclaycard still offer that price match thing? Then you can save the money another way, buy the stuff from someone decent, then trawl around the internet to get the lowest on everything, and claim it back from b'card. You could save the value of the interest without the hassle, then get your C1 card and transfer the balance....

Kids, mate! You want to try private education if you really want to damage your financial prospects.

16. dodgydaz

dodgydaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Sevenoaks have the 37pv500 for 2100. £100 less than JL so thats pretty good. I know its only £100 but JL should price match Sevenoaks and then I can spend more on my lovely wife who is letting me spend this huge amount of money on a telly.
    I think I have decided now on the Panny pv500 instead of separates, so now I think I will see if I can get a good deal on finance. Thanks Moncs . Think I will try the website you suggested and see whats what.

Oh dear.. wifes wondering why I am still in bed with the laptop. "No darling, I am not looking at "those" sites again..."

17. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    LOL! Those sites.... My wife takes that view of AV forums too. But I excuse myself on the grounds I need a break, I'm building my new office. I've moved about 1.5 tonnes of timber this AM by hand.

18. NWhiteley

NWhiteley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Thanks for the reply Moncs.... i visited the forum and it seems that there are quite a few people asking for the promotional leaflets, and some saying the offer is now closed. Anyway thanks for the info

19. dodgydaz

dodgydaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Think I have definately decided on the 37PV500 instead of a separates system. The only question now is - where do I get it from. I have trawled this forum and a lot of people are mentioning internet sites selling this model for a few hundred pounds less than JL, but I want peace of mind with the 5 year guarentee.
    I know this is like saying "how long is a piece of string" but does anyone have any ideas when this model will start dropping in price. If its going to be months then I think I will make a purchase next week. If its going to be weeks though, I might wait. Not sure what the situation was with the older pannys - PE50 etc and when they started dropping in price.
    I need to make a decision soon.....I wake up now thinking about it..... I didnt spend this much time buying my house or car!!! Crazy... :eek:

20. cmt

cmt
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +221
    Whenever people ask about my kids (4 and 8) i always tell them the truth-

It like having your life amputated!

And i still stand by that - love em to bits though.

cmt

21. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I just bought a 37PV500 from JL. Just makes life easier, which, as has been noted in this thread, is quite a big deal when you have little darlings running around leaving you deprived of sleep...

22. pjpar

pjpar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Daz

As you have said the 5 year warantee is worth having.

Just get JL to price match and take the best of both worlds.

23. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    And do it quick, there are some indications JL may exclude AV kit from the 5 yr warranty. It's not economic for them I'm fairly sure. I'm certain they make a trading loss on price matched and warrantied plasma.

24. dodgydaz

dodgydaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Decided to get one from John Lewis today.
    Called them last night and they advised that they are also giving away a panny dvd recorder when you buy the pv500. Already got a Philips dvd recorder so could sell one. Doesnt say anything on the website but the sales person I spoke to said the offer was on throughout June. :thumbsup:

25. Moncs

Moncs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah I just got the 42" ordered from JL, got a free DVD recorder with it as well.... also got them to price match at an AMAZING price :rotfl: :D :D :smashin: :smashin:

26. dodgydaz

dodgydaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    If you dont mind me asking Moncs, who did you get them to price match with and for how much. Deliberating on the 42 inch now as its only a little bigger than the 37. Decisions, decisions.

27. Moncs

Moncs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'll send you a PM, don't want to make it public yet just in case they get hundreds of people asking to price match the same place and cancel mine... just call me paranoid :D

28. braveknight

braveknight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, it depends on what you want, but there is no NEED to spend more than about £50 to buy a cabinet that you can put a PED plasma on. So you can actually save £50-100 on that JL purchase, AND get a 42PV500 - that's quite a different prospect to just looking at £50-100 for a 5 year warranty. Hell, if you've got the wall space, you could even wall mount it and save a bit more.