1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

That's Blown That!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by General Skanky, Jul 23, 2005.

1. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    We were booked to go to Egypt on 22nd Sept to Sharm El Sheik!

Now it's ovbiously a big concern.

83 dead and counting just can't be ignored.

And having 'Googled' past atrocities in Egypt, the odds are getting worse.

For once I am personally worried about what to do, rather than just seeing it on the news.

And, yes I have just fully paid the whole £1500 for the family holiday, so I potentially have little leverage, if any now, to cancel/change the holiday. (Anyone know of a good medical reason to use to cancel?)

I haven't seen any news footage yet, only online reports, and no doubt it'll be horific, so I'll probably be more worried later on.

2. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    The obvious things to do immediately are contact your travel agent and check your insurance documentation (although losses relating to terrorism is likely to be excluded).

I've been debating about whether to travel to Egypt for several years for a holiday and have alsways decided against it - a friend of mine only came back from there last week telling me I'd been stupid to ignore it...

3. PaulaB

PaulaB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am due to go in October, I have paid my deposit but not paid the final bill yet, I am getting a fair amount of pressure not to go, I am thinking about it.

4. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    I was going to take myself and the wife there for our honeymoon last year, but after the plane crash there, we decided to go to the Maldives instead.

5. Miniholic

Miniholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    We were due to go to the US a week after 9/11, but had to cancel as my ex was just to scared to fly. She was having panic attacks at the slightest mention of the trip, we tried doctors notes all sorts, but were unable to get any money back, we'd not exactly booked on the cheap either. :mad:

The only circumstances in which we could have got a refund is if the tour operators cancelled the trip.

Hope you have more luck than we did General. Hopefully with two months to go you may be able to come to some arrangement.

6. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    We had our honeymoon in Egypt 8 years ago. Whilst we were there a tourist bus got bombed outside the Cairo Museum. We were miles away on a Nile cruise ship near Luxor but after that we pretty much had armed guards every time we went on an excursion.

( usually one seventy year old guy with what looked like a belt fed M60 dangling over his shoulder.... very amusing when he's walking in front of you and the muzzle is waving backwards and forwards about a foot in front of your face!).

Three weeks after we came back there was the massacre at the temple of hapsechutsep ( sorry for spelling) where they were killing coachloads of tourists with swords.

I loved Egypt . I found the people warm and friendly ( learning a bit of their language helps...please, thank you, hello, yes, no, go a long way). Everyone is on the make : which is fine once you understand that and haggle over everything, and its still got that exotic slightly edgey adventurous feel to it .
    Food was good too and we never had any health problems whilst we were there.

However I wouldn't go there at the moment , they've had problems with fundamentalists for years and the security services ( like most things assocuiated with the government in Egypt) are pretty much incompetent.

7. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    what have foriegn office got to say about it? wont that affect what the holiday companies do?

Gary

8. PaulaB

PaulaB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    This advice has been reviewed and the Summary and Safety and Security (Terrorism) sections have been re-issued. The overall level of the advice has not changed.

SUMMARY

There is a high threat from terrorism in Egypt.
    On 23 July a number of bombs exploded in Sharm al-Sheikh in the Sinai Peninsula. There are over 200 injured, including several British nationals and over 80 dead.
    In April 2005 there were three separate incidents in Cairo in which tourists were targeted. A total of seven people, including four terrorists and three tourists, were killed and 26 injured in these attacks.
    In October 2004, three explosions in the Sinai peninsula killed 34 and injured 159, including tourists.
    Approximately 547,000 British nationals visited Egypt in 2004, mainly as tourists. Most visits are trouble-free.
    Crime rate is low but you should safeguard valuables including passports and money.
    There are likely to be political demonstrations and rallies in Egypt during 2005, which is an election year.
    Egyptian society is conservative and women should dress modestly.
    We strongly recommend that you obtain comprehensive travel and medical insurance before travelling.

I am still not sure about going though.

9. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Thanks for the advice.

A lot to think about.

We saw the standard of the security services on Sky news. Top quality.

I'd be better off just getting the wife angry. :rotfl:

That's a bit worrying though. Don't fancy that. :(

10. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    If you're afraid to go, you're in good company. Charles Clark has postponed his holidays too. ;)

11. PaulaB

PaulaB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I contacted exodus the company that I am supposed to go with. They are saying not the make any snap decisions, that it is probably ok but they are having meetings and if it decided that it isn't safe then they will cancel. I don't feel reassured at all so will think about it for a few days and decide. If not Comfort Inn Orlando here I come!!!!!!!!

12. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    The foreign office will give advice if they think it is safe to travel or not - if they say it is not safe to travel then you have a much better chance of getting your monies back.

Personally I would go - at the end of the day the chances of injury by crossing a road is still significantly higher than injury from a terrorist attach and these attacks can happen anywhere in the world. IMO you cannot live your life constantly in fear and therefore you should go - I am having a last minute deal holiday next month and think that Egypts prices will drop significantly which would be good for me.