Thatchers 'challenge'

PhilNUK

Established Member
Reaction score
no, its not a gameshow involving ex prime ministers.....

did anyone see that supposed 'challenge' on Mendes? absolutely disgraceful. Not seen anything that blatant in years...
Disgusting... and cos he got a yellow for it he means that nothing more can be done I assume, unless they make an exception...
am still shocked at it. Mendes needed oxygen and was apparently unconscious before he smacked into the advertising hoardings!

:mad:

Typical Thatcher really. No talent (never has had). One of those players that make you think you could've made it. The bloke is useless.
Good job the Ref only gave him a yellow too:rolleyes:
One of the most obvious & pre-meditated fouls i have ever seen.

Adz

Should be fined and banned for that.

Fecking disgrace.

Not to mention just a yellow card:rolleyes:

With any luck a supporter will make a complaint to Greater Manchester police.
Haven't seen it but heard Jason Cundy on Talk Sport going on about it,shocking from what was said.:eek:

Not sure I've seen a worse challenge...

If he doesn't get a lengthy ban, something is wrong with the game - it's not as if he's a first-time offender.

He'll be banned, regardless of what the ref did... and most likely interviewed by the police, as that was basically assault, regardless if he's a pro 'footballer' or not, and the fact that Mendes had a fit on the side of the pitch means that they won't be able to let this go without a full review of the incident.

Thatcher has a history for this sort of thing, he once gave someone a forearm when he was playing for Wimbledon a few years back, off the ball (have a feeling it was against Sunderland) where he did somebody some serious damage. And just read that he punctured someone's lung with a similar challenge on their pre-season tour... the guy's an untalented thug.

Hope he is banned for a year to be honest, no place for that kind of behaviour and the challenge was totally indefensible.

I haven't seen it and have only read about it - but that sounds like typical Ben Thatcher. He was always a bit of a scumbag when he was at Millwall, and he's never really changed.

Maybe Psycho likes the lad because he sees a bit of himself in him but he'd do well to come out and criticise him if it's anywhere near as bad as what people are saying.

EDIT - Actually that elbow you're talking about, I have a feeling that was against us, and Paul Kitson. And if I recall, it was only about 3 minutes into the whole game. Just a prized idjit as far as I'm concerned...

What Thatcher did was par for the course. Always has been and always will be a talentless, cowardly thug.:thumbsdow

I have to say I was more than a little disappointed in Pearce's comments as shown on Sky this morning. I fully expected him to come out and carpet the guy, but all we got were some lame excuses about playing the game at a high tempo and how the difference between putting someone in hospital and winning the ball cleanly were slight.

Remember whan Tarrico raked his studs down some poor guy's shins? Hoddle came out and slaughtered him for doing it. I was expecting the same from Pearce...just shows what a season or two as a manager will do to you.

rio1981 said:
Maybe Psycho likes the lad because he sees a bit of himself in him but he'd do well to come out and criticise him if it's anywhere near as bad as what people are saying.

I'd be surprised at that.

Pearcy was always hard (but usually fair) and if I was Pearce i'd be offended if anyone compared me to that Thug.

i'd hope that he would come out and and give Thatcher a good kicking:devil:

Agree with all the comments about the and the police. Was pretty much GBH/ABH (whatever it's called:rolleyes:).

Maybe he'll get a few hours community service:rolleyes:

domtheone said:
Pearcy was always hard (but usually fair)

Completely agree - at least Pearcey was actually a good footballer, or more's the point gave himself the chance to be a good footballer. There may be a good player lurking in Ben Thatcher somewhere, but he'll never show it given his temperament.

rio1981 said:
I haven't seen it and have only read about it - but that sounds like typical Ben Thatcher. He was always a bit of a scumbag when he was at Millwall, and he's never really changed.

EDIT - Actually that elbow you're talking about, I have a feeling that was against us, and Paul Kitson. And if I recall, it was only about 3 minutes into the whole game. Just a prized idjit as far as I'm concerned...

I was at the game last night and have to say I have never seen a worse foul in my 20 years as a season ticket holder. It was not a challenge it was assault. Pure and simple. Thatcher is not a footballer, he is a thug and charges for assault should be brought for that awful elbow / forearm smash on Mendes. On behalf of City fans, I apologise to Mendes and Portsmouth FC and I too hope Thatcher gets the book thrown at him. The referee was an absolute disgrace to give him a yellow card for that - it was the most blatant red I have ever seen.

The comment above about Psycho I feel is inaccurate. Stuart Pearce was a quality hard tackling left back and never resorted to violence like that. In fact, I would say that Thatcher is the opposite as that wasn't a hard man's challenge it was cowardly in the extreme.

I would like to see City take action before the FA do and ban Thatcher for ten games to uphold our reputation and support for fair play. I can not put into the words the embarrasment and anger I feel for that challenge.

I hope that Mendes makes a speedy recovery and is not out of action for too long.

The fact that Gallagher gave Thatcher a yellow card apparantley means that the FA can't do anything more. Surely, the ref didn't see it clearly to give him a yellow for that? The FA should set a precedent here and overrule the ref and slap Thatcher with a ten game ban for assault.

The other point I suppose is whether Thatcher has a case to answer for assault in a criminal proceeding. If someone reported that the Greater Manchester Police, they have all the evidence they need on video and I am sure would be able to press criminal charges.

Thatcher is a disgrace to the shirt of my club.

Abbeygoo said:
The fact that Gallagher gave Thatcher a yellow card apparantley means that the FA can't do anything more. Surely, the ref didn't see it clearly to give him a yellow for that? The FA should set a precedent here and overrule the ref and slap Thatcher with a ten game ban for assault.

Essien had a ban imposed after his tackle on hamann - even tho it was given as a yellow at the time... he'll be dealt with I'm sure and will have his cards marked by other 'hard men'.

chrisw said:
Essien had a ban imposed after his tackle on hamann - even tho it was given as a yellow at the time... he'll be dealt with I'm sure and will have his cards marked by other 'hard men'.
Good!

Utter scum from a known talnetless hatchet man.

I'm off the rob his hourse...again.

Very Well put Abbeygoo.

I think it takes a good honest person to come on here and say what you have after a player at your club has done such a thing. I really dont think it will tarnish man city's reputation because ever since i have watched thatcher i could tell he was that type of person. Watching it on motd last night i just was wishing big sol or kanu to smash him in a bad tackle becuase i think if i had been on i would have tried to. but then i thought i would have been has bad as him, i hope they ban the sh!thouse for 10 games!

Abbeygoo said:
I was at the game last night and have to say I have never seen a worse foul in my 20 years as a season ticket holder. It was not a challenge it was assault. Pure and simple. Thatcher is not a footballer, he is a thug and charges for assault should be brought for that awful elbow / forearm smash on Mendes. On behalf of City fans, I apologise to Mendes and Portsmouth FC and I too hope Thatcher gets the book thrown at him. The referee was an absolute disgrace to give him a yellow card for that - it was the most blatant red I have ever seen.

The comment above about Psycho I feel is inaccurate. Stuart Pearce was a quality hard tackling left back and never resorted to violence like that. In fact, I would say that Thatcher is the opposite as that wasn't a hard man's challenge it was cowardly in the extreme.
Well put, my man! And also coming from a City fan. I haven't actually seen the incident yet but by all accounts it was a shocker! Never liked that Thatcher and I also agree with your comments about Pearce although i do feel that he should have sought a video replay straight away and condemned Thatcher.

when i first seen the incedent last night at normal speed i thought ouch :eek: but after seeing the reply slowed down i felt sick that a pro could do that to another :( hopefully he will get what he deserves .

Abbeygoo said:

I would like to see City take action before the FA do and ban Thatcher for ten games to uphold our reputation and support for fair play. I can not put into the words the embarrasment and anger I feel for that challenge.

I hope that Mendes makes a speedy recovery and is not out of action for too long.

The other point I suppose is whether Thatcher has a case to answer for assault in a criminal proceeding. If someone reported that the Greater Manchester Police, they have all the evidence they need on video and I am sure would be able to press criminal charges.

Thatcher is a disgrace to the shirt of my club.

Hi mate:hiya:

Well said:smashin:

One of the things that has angered me most about all this is the comments on talk sport this morning from Alan Brazil..... I used to have respect for him cos he normally talks pretty good sense, but he has really let himself down today. There is simply no defence for what thatcher did whether it was in a game now or 20 years ago - there's no place in the game for it.

That "tackle" was an absolute shocker with the only intent being to take mendes out of the game.... if he's come away from it without a broken jaw or cheekbone then he's a very lucky bloke indeed.

Mendes is the hearbeat of the team and when he's on his game he makes such a difference.... if we're without him for any length of time then he's going to be so hard to replace. It could end up being quite costly for us.

Its just ironic that IF thatcher is given a ban it actually helps City in the end cos they're better off without him in the team anyway!

Noggin1980 said:

Just down to the Old Bill now then... if someone reports it then a three-match ban is the least of his worries.

Indeed.

3 Match ban is total :censored:

Should be more like 3 months time.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom