1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

that wharfdale moviestar 60+ 5.1 speaker set.....

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by weyland-yutani, Aug 15, 2003.

1. weyland-yutani

weyland-yutani

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    ...for £99. what do you reckon, are they a good set? rrp. is £299, apparantly:eek:

any experience/thoughts?

thanks.

2. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi wayland
    Where are you getting the speaker set up from my brother had an order for these from hifi bitz they said they coudnt get any after waiting 4 weeks for delivery.
    Gonzo.

3. Bascombe

Bascombe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,

posted a similar query myself about 2 months ago (should still be there if you look around) - upshot of it all was I took the plunge, and paired the moviestar 60+ with a yamaha htr 5540. My first home cinema setup. Its fed dvd from a pc decoder card, and tv is an old 4:3 panasonic, so display wise it has its limits, but it suffices for the mo.

As for the moviestar 60+ - off the bat I would say its one of the most satisfying £99 I've spent. The satellite speakers and sub woofer are all of very solid construction, wi gold binding posts (no input for banana plugs tho), they come wi 40m coil of basic speaker cable (an issue whether the speakers justify an upgrade of this - There's another thread I set up on this issue, with a variety of opinions posted - all food for thought:) ). Size wise, the sats are pretty tidy - not exactly easily hid if thats an issue - but there a decent size, quite tidy and easily placed. The subs quite a satisyfying box, not enormous so easily hid under a table/in a corner or something.

As I said, they're paired wi a yamaha htr5540 - when I chose this amp , I wasnt worried about music so much, as the setup was mainly for cinema. Having said that, this amp paired wi these speakers isnt exactly the must pleasant listening experience in the world for music - its perfectly listenable, but definitely a bit on the flat side. But like I said, I bought it all for films.....

And I'm perfectly happy. This being my first entry into home cinema, I'm still knocked out by the degree to which sound changes the whole experience in the home. Effects sounds shift around quite neatly, vocals are nicely centred and clear, if theres one area that definitely sounds like it could be better its the music part of soundtracks, but I can live with it for the mo. Slight bit of confusion over the speaker impedance - initial searches on the web didnt show up what this was, so an email to Wharfedale (very prompt reply, full marks there) informed me that it was a 'nominal 6 ohms throughout'. Having gotten the speakers, I wasnt a little perplexed to find impedance specified as 4ohms. Whatever the tru value is, the 5540 lets you select for lower impedance speakers, and so far I have encountered no probs at all.

In sum, is it worth £99? In my experience, thats an unqualified yes. Would it be worth it for the rrp? Cant say I'd agree with that. Its worth bearing in mind that there are a tonne of good deals out there - Hyperfi are advertising the Wharfedale diamond cinema for 169, which by repute is a very good set of speakers. It wasnt that cheap when I was buying, but even if it had been - the speakers are considerably chunkier (fronts are floor standers) and I needed something more discrete, as well as wanting to stick as near as possible to the hundred mark.

ANyway, bear in mind that you're not gonna get the ultimate hc experience for £99, and there's a lot of room for improvement - but if, like me, its your first hc set, you want small(ish) speakers, and -hey!- you like the look of them (which I do indeed......) then I doubt you'll do better.

let me know if you need any other info - hope this helps.

Cheers

Bascombe

4. weyland-yutani

weyland-yutani

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    thanks alot bas:D my amp is the same as yours, so that was a usefull rewiew.

gonzo, i saw them on the superfi.co.uk

5. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    their RRP is £149, not sure where £300 comes from- they certainly aren't worth that, at all!
    For £99 they're ok, i'd personally go for some Yamaha NSP220s/230s for £30ish more though. They have separate tweeters (treble drive units) so the clarity is far better than the Wharfedales (which only have one drive unit to cover both treble and midrange sounds, and therefore sound coloured and indistinct).
    Good choice of home cinema amplifier though :clap:

6. weyland-yutani

weyland-yutani

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    hey, rozza are the nsp220 anything like the nsp100, as i can only seem to find the nsp100 is silver(which i want) the nsp220 are in black(which i don't)?

7. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    dont' know the nsp100- can you not find the nsp230 either? check at www.bennettsonline.co.uk we're doing the nsp220 for £130 i think and the nsp230 for £150ish- they may not be on the www, but just give a store a call. both are in silver, and both sound better than the moviestar pack (which we also do)

8. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Weyland
    My brother has the movie star speaker system he tried to get another set for his bedroom.Ive owned the nsp220 speaker system and found the movie star to be better made and the sub not as boomy the speakers to me sounded better than the yamahas but thats my opinion and yes you can get the nsp220 in silver as i had a set in that colour.
    Cheers Gonzo.

9. Bascombe

Bascombe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The yams were a set I considered, but at the time, but I could only find the 220s (80 quid at hyperfi I think) at a reasonable price, in black, which I didnt want. Also, from what I'd seen of them, they looked a little....plasticy. Anyway, appearance wise I'm happy I went for the wharfs. Sound wise, I cant speak for that as I havent heard the yams, tho you mention on your other post that you're not looking for an overly bright set - the wharfs would qualify I guess! One proviso I should have mentioned about the wharfs - the sub seems a little weedy. To have it at anything like a noticable level, I have to have it cranked up to 50-65% (in comparison, the amp is set at about 20%, I havent dared test its limits yet :) ), and at that level I get an audible humming coming from it. That may well, however, be a result of the ultra cheapo cable I've got connecting it to the amp (read somewhere that cheap cables can introduce interference that can result in a humming sound at high levels). As for the sub being a little underpowered, maybe thats just par for the course in this price range. I'd be interested to know what speaker set you end up getting - as a fellow home cinema noob, it'd be useful info to hear your experiences with the 5540. Mind reposting once you take the plunge?

All the best,

Bas

10. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Bascome
    How have you connected the sub up?.I got my brother a y-splitter from maplins for around 7 quid this increases the sensitivity it doesnt switch off when volume is low.It also seems to have increased the output of the sub too.He gets no hum from his sub so if i was you id get a better cable which should only cost around 14 pounds.
    Gonzo.

11. Bascombe

Bascombe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Well Gonzo, I bore in mind your earlier advice in connection to y splitters, and as fate would have it I also went to Maplin - got a basic 2 to 1 phono lead for about a fiver. Glad to hear the humming isnt inevitable - think I'll definitely look into a cable upgrade at some point.

Cheers

Bas