That Sinking Feeling

mikeybabes2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Two weeks ago, I was sitting in my living room and suddenly noticed some water dripping on the arm of the chair next to me. I looked up to see water running out of my ceiling mounted projector ! :eek:

It transpired that a valve on my hot water tank had failed, and leaked through the ceiling. The water had found it's way to the bolts of the ceiling mount, run downwards and into the vent of my faithful Sharp XV-Z10000 projector. :thumbsdow

Time to call the insurance company….

The insurance company arranged for the PJ to be taken away and checked over, and came back to me and said it is a write off. :rolleyes:

Now the Z10000 is quite an old machine, originally released in 2002 I believe, but I bought just as it was being replaced with the Z12000, and was able to pick it up for £ 5k when the normal retail was £ 10k ! It supported 1080i, HDCP and offered a stunning picture. It has been on my ceiling ever since and provided sterling service with not a peep of trouble. Until it decided to become a water feature that is.

Although it was the size of the mothership in close encounters, I was always happy with the Z10000, a great picture and although it was a DLP machine, never saw any rainbows at all. In short, it has given getting on for a decade of service, and I'm worried that whatever I replace it with could be more troublesome. As I don't have a bat cave (more a living room with curtains), it could have been a little brighter, but then it still had the original bulb in !

In fact, whilst most people would be pleased to be shopping for a newer generation machine, I am rather sad the old faithful has gone, and am viewing the purchase of a new machine with some trepidation.

The PJ is (or should I say was) mainly used to watch DVD & Blu-Ray discs, though I will be plugging in the Sky box this time (as I now have good reason to upgrade the wiring while the redecoration is going on. As I have a few 3D discs, I would be foolish to not to cover that base, but 3D performance is less importance to me than 2D. (The kids, however, will love the 3D I'm sure).

So off I go to the only place in town where I can see a few projectors locally - Richer Sounds. I have bought quite a bit of kit off them over the years, and for good reason. Good prices and pretty good service. They had three machines to show me, but had no 3D glasses in stock, so could only show me a 2D picture.

1). Optoma HD33. The cheapest of the three, and was pretty decent

2) Epson TW6000. Middle priced, but the poorest picture. The blacks were a deep blue ?!

3) Panasonic 6000. The best one there. Great picture and contrast.

The chap at Richer Sounds also told me that I should look at the JVC X30, which they didn't have there. Apparently the JVC X30 was the best, and I could go to another branch where they had one.

Now here's the thing. When I first bought my Sharp I steered well away from LCD PJ's, as they were known for getting dust inside them, at which point they had to be sent back the have the optical block repaired. When I check out the Panasonic 6000 thread, I see lots of people sending their machine back to Panasonic to get this fixed. Although Richer give a 5 year warranty, this is putting me off. With the Sharp being a DLP, I have a soft spot for this technology as it has been so reliable.

I understand that the JVC is a version of LCD. No-one seems to have a Benq W7000 to demo, which is a DLP, but I may need to put a filter on it (for which there is no mount) as it is too bright. Plus everyone is in the throes of launching new models. So I'm all a bit lost.

The insurance company is giving me about £ 2-2.5k or so, and I'm not averse to putting a bit to it to get the right machine, as I intend to keep it for a long time. They have offered me a JVC RS45 (which I believe is the same as the X30) or I can look for an alternative.

so i'm looking at the following

Pana 6000

JVC X30/RS45 (which I haven't seen)

Benq W7000 (which I haven't seen)

But these are currently being replaced.

My wife, who normally has a black belt in spending money, cannot help me here as there is electricity involved :D

Can someone point me in the right direction - I am more than happy to travel a good distance to sort this out and see the kit.

Yours confusedly.

Mikeybabes

We have the earlier model Sharp XV-Z9000 and like you, although it is aged it still gives my wife and I a great deal of pleasure and we would be sad to say goodbye to it. I must say that should that day arrive and we had the money, which we don't, we would certainly considered the JVC models. Here in a remote area of France a demo would be almost impossible but should our luck change that would be the direction we would go. Let us know what you decide and what you experience when it's installed. Good luck.

Depending where you are in the country, try calling one of the forum sponsors such as Allan at IdealAV in the North (Normanton?) or Ricky at Kalibrate in the South (Caterham).

FWIW while JVC does use a kind of LCD (reflective) they use a sealed optic block so you don't get dust blobs like with traditional (transmissive) LCD. However, you still need to see one to make your mind up as some prefer the motion of a good DLP, though you will be surprised at the deeper black levels compared to what you are used to.

I had an insurance claim on my first projector (a Panasonic AE1000) and had to pay half again to get a replacement projector as I didn't want it repaired as they wanted to do. I ended up with an AE2000 which was a little better, though in hindsight I should have really looked around as you are doing as I suspect I would have gone straight to a JVC, but you live and learn I suppose. :)

I certainly will report back.

I have always found that although technology product specifications improve as time goes on, the build quality and general attention to detail you get with the earlier kit is missing.

I'll be amazed if it's replacement lasts as long ....

Hi Kelvin,

Just seen that Ideal AV are only about an hour away from me. I'll have to make an appointment to go see them. Just had a quick gander on their website and sent he info in the Sony HW50ES.

If it's not bad enough with all the different manufacturers, there's the outgoing models at discounted prices vs the new models with uprated specifications.

I've got to go and do a job in Africa this weekend, so when I get back I'll give Ideal AV a call and go see them. But I would have liked to see the Benq ...

I've got a soft spot for DLP.

Thank you so much for you advice.

Mike.

Last edited:
The JVC will be a great machine but imo it needs to be in a treated room to get the best out of it.

That's the first time anyone's mentioned that. So those impressive blacks might not be so impressive in my living room.....

I read a review on the JVC at projectorreiews.com and it confused me a little as one minute it was telling me that it was a bright PJ, and then later on, not bright enough.

I have an 8' screen (96") so I'll probably get a brightness boost from the smaller screen....

Thanks for mentioning this.

Mike.

Don't worry, you can still enjoy the darker blacks in your living room, so long as you don't have any lights on or other ambient light. I've used my HD350 in a light coloured living room to good effect and dark scenes still look much better than my previous LCD projector. I have experimented with temporary black cloth sheeting which simulated a 'bat cave' setup. Sure the picture was better, but it was mostly brighter scenes that looked better, the darker scenes have less light to bounce around the room anyway.

Of course if you could improve your room, then the image will get better, but it's not compulsory with a JVC. However, you still need to see one as you may well still prefer a DLP as it is a different kind of image altogether (IT'S A DIFFERENT KIND OF IMAGE! :D).

Sorry for the lame Airplane style joke. :)

Of course if you could improve your room, then the image will get better, but it's not compulsory with a JVC. However, you still need to see one as you may well still prefer a DLP as it is a different kind of image altogether (IT'S A DIFFERENT KIND OF IMAGE! :D).

Sorry for the lame Airplane style joke. :)

So the question is... which DLP projector is the most direct equivalent of the JVC X30 ? (and where can I see one).

Surely someone knows.... (sorry, I didn't mean to call you Shirley).:D

I'm not sure as I can't watch DLP due to headaches so I'm only vaguely aware of the models. I'm sure someone else will be along to offer some recommended DLPs. Otherwise, I can't really help as I've never got over Macho Grande. ;)

I'm not sure as I can't watch DLP due to headaches so I'm only vaguely aware of the models. I'm sure someone else will be along to offer some recommended DLPs. Otherwise, I can't really help as I've never got over Macho Grande. ;)

Well I really appreciate all your advice. Apart from the Benq W7000, however, there doesn't seem to be another obvious contender to put up against the JVC.

Unless someone out there knows better......

Just being nosey , the Africa job isn't anything to do with a famous Irish brewery is it ?

Not sure what you mean by that ?!

I'm actually going to Sierra Leone, and whilst I do like a beer now and then, I won't be requiring a brewery. So I think its safe to say the answer to your question is no.:D

I'm going to sort out some large format digital print gear out there.

Mike.

mikeybabes2 said:
I've got to go and do a job in Africa this weekend

Crickey I find it hard work to drive to the other side of town when I get asked to help out on a Saturday morning!

As for the DLP..

I believe the BENQ is meant to be very good :thumbsup:.

Crickey I find it hard work to drive to the other side of town when I get asked to help out on a Saturday morning!

Yeah, but I'll probably be in Freetown before you get off the ring road, due to the awful traffic we have.:D

The Sony HW50 should cover all your bases and just over budget as would the JVC X35, if you are keen on a DLP and not so worried about 3D (over rated anyway unless you are a kid:devil:) consider the viewsonic pro 9000.

This is a new dlp projector with LED/Laser illumination so no lamps to buy and are rated for 20k hours.They don't have a colour wheel are extremely quiet run cool so longevity should be good and cost about £1500.

Viewsonic » Pro9000

signs said:
Really , we have a versacamm 540 :)

I know them really well. I've worked with Roland for over twenty years ! A fine machine. The place in Africa I'm going to has an Sp540v and a Soljet Sc540, but I'm really going over to sort out a custom billboard printer.

It is a 72 head (18 heads per colour) billboard printer and is 3m wide. It's a pretty coarse machine but the ink is about 12 USD per litre, which is cheap as it needs to be out there !

You wont go too far wrong with a VersaCAMM ,

Small world :D

Mike i have a jvc X7 , have you considered putting the £2.5k to something older/second hand ?

They had three machines to show me, but had no 3D glasses in stock, so could only show me a 2D picture.

are you being serious here Mike, well thats a good start isn`t it :eek:

show someone 3 different 3d projectors that they can`t show 3d on :confused:

Can someone point me in the right direction - I am more than happy to travel a good distance to sort this out and see the kit.

Yours confusedly.

Mikeybabes

in a word yes :smashin:

in a few more words,

The Sony HW50, which is being released next week, I think this year will be the projector to beat at its price point especially if its to be used in an ambient lit room, the new JVC`s and Epsons will follow towards the end of November if what we are told is correct.

Allan

Hi

What about the Optoma HD83 (as an alternative to the BenQ) these guys might be able to give you a demo. Roy Jowett Home Cinema, Our Demonstration Room

Ive seen the HD33 and that gives an incredible picture 3D wise especially for the money, not seen the HD83 but most of the trusted reviews i have read have been good for 2D and 3D performance.

Also seen the X7 mentioned in a post below(only in 2D) but that probably gave the best 2D image i have seen to date, I dont think many will match the JVC for 2D but if your looking with 3D in mind that could be a different story.

Nick:smashin:

Last edited:
Ideal AV: to be fair to Richer Sounds, I walked in off the street to have a look without making an appointment, but I was a bit surprised that they would have the projectors in without the glasses :facepalm:

I've been told by the people that are handling my claim, that they will be providing the replacement projector themselves, which really makes me feel a bit awkward. I can't very well go around to dealers asking for demos, knowing very well that the insurance company's agent will be fulfilling any purchase. That would be totally unfair on the dealer, asking them to waste their time (which = money):lesson:

I've told them I would like either a JVC DLA-X35 or the new Sony VW50, and to get on with it. I've given up any hope of seeing a Benq W7000, as they don't seem to have any in dealer's demo rooms. But now I've been told the the dealer wouldn't be fulfilling any order I won't be bothering them.

I think either of them will be a pretty decent replacement for My old XV Z10000, and I ought to be very pleased to be lucky enough to have either of them.

Unfortunately Rob, a second hand machine seems to be out of the question.

Event Horizon: My very first PJ was an Optoma Themescene 56 (if I remember the model correctly), but it only lasted for a few months and was sent back and replaced by the Sharp Z10000. It kept swtiching modes for no reason, even in the middle of a movie. I haven't heard much about Optoma recently, apart from the HD33, but again, don't think it fair to be asking for demos from a dealer for the reasons stated above.

It'll be a while before I get it all sorted out, but I'll be sure to come back and let you all know what I end up with and how I get on with it.

Really appreciate all the advice given, it is much appreciated.

I just hope I'm doing the right thing .....

Mike , if you end up with a x35 you would have done well , enjoy it :)

At least you would be in good company. ;)

Signs, you aren't playing the game, though perhaps the Airplane references are wrong as it would be more appropriate if we referenced Titanic (sorry for the plot spoiler).

"This projector can't sink...I assure you she can". :)

Sorry it's been a long day and I'm going mad trying to get autocal to work on my laptop. :rolleyes:

Actually, my living room at the moment is more like the abyss than titanic ....

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom