That old favourite, gapless playback

kc123

Novice Member
I've been following discussions of gapless playback for longer than I care to admit, but do not seem any closer to achieving it. My music library is on a NAS drive (WDMyCloud). I use the Yamaha MusicCast app on a Samsung S21 5G to play it through a Yamaha RXA3070 receiver. I rather wish I had kept all those opera CDs I painstakingly ripped, because I am plagued by split-second breaks between tracks which are ruined if they do not play seamlessly. Is the MusicCast app likely to be the cause of the problem? Is there a better way of getting the music from NAS drive to speakers? What are my options?

The only way I have so far discovered to listen gaplessly is to give up on the music library and stream direct from Spotify.

Forgive a rather basic question, once again, but I know there are clever people on here who understand all this stuff.

Keith Clarke

[email protected]

I have a big library in iTunes. I play it both on my Mac through a NAD D3020i connected by USB and over WiFi using a Powernode 2i. Neither has a gap that I’ve noticed.

RayP

@kc123 , get a BlueSound Node 2i. I store my FLAC music on a Synology NAS drive connected via Ethernet to a TP-Link Archer VR2800 router upstairs and linked via Wi-Fi on the 5Ghz frequency to my BlueSound downstairs.

Reception is excellent and all music is gapless. Pink Floyd's The Wall really does need gapless as do plenty of other bands especially live recordings. The Bluesound also supports all major streaming services including Spotify. The app is excellent too.

My BlueSound is connected via RCA analogue cables to a Naim XS3 and feeds B&W CM4 loudspeakers. The results are magnificent.

mseve1

The MusicCast app should be able to provide gapless playback of your NAS rips assuming that they are in WAV, FLAC, AIFF or ALAC formats. If this is the case you could try copying some of your music files to a USB stick and playing these back when inserted into the USB socket on your RXA3070. If these files then play gaplessly via MusicCast it would tend to suggest you have an issue with the Media Server/DNLA set up on your NAS.

kc123

Novice Member
Thank you all for your very helpful answers.
The MusicCast app should be able to provide gapless playback of your NAS rips assuming that they are in WAV, FLAC, AIFF or ALAC formats.
This is probably my best clue to what's going on. Almost all my library is in mp3 - highest possible setting, but still mp3. I hadn't realised that mp3 was dodgy when it comes to putting in gaps. An initial experiment in converting mp3 to FLAC suggests that the problem is cured - I shall try some more.

Any ideas on the best way of converting large numbers of mp3 to FLAC, without losing track numbering along the way?

mseve1

Any ideas on the best way of converting large numbers of mp3 to FLAC, without losing track numbering along the way?
Whilst conversion of MP3 to FLAC is going to create larger file sizes with no improvement in sound quality I can understand the need to eliminate the annoying gaps. Several utilities can do this conversion for you but my preference would be the excellent free Foobar 2000 application which has the capability of processing files in batch.

kc123

Novice Member
Thank you for that excellent suggestion - Foobar 2000 to the rescue, now that I've figured out how to work it! I realise I can't improve on the mp3s, this is just to get rid of those gaps. In future I shall go straight to FLAC if possible, since space is not a problem.

kc123

Novice Member
Oh, whoopsy-la, I've been flacking away happily but still haven't completely exorcised those pesky gaps. They are no longer than a click or pop was on an LP, but still immensely irritating. All music is stored on a NAS drive (WDMyCloud). If I use MediaMonkey to play on the laptop, gapless is entirely perfect. If I do the same with MediaMonkey on my Samsung S21 5G, in come the gaps. If I try playing from the NAS drive through my Yamaha RXA3070 receiver, there are slight gaps, whether using Yamaha MusicCast app, BubbleUPnP, Hi Fi Cast or any other app I can get my hands on. I feel sure this shouldn't all be so difficult and that someone could perhaps point out the basic principles. It would be much appreciated.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom