That Old Chestnut - Loewe TVs and Prog Scan

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by brattle, Jan 15, 2002.

1. brattle

brattle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

This is a thread that follows on from this one. It should be relevant to Nic, Gordon and Lowrider amongst others.

I've had my Loewe TV now for a few weeks and am very pleased with it. Today I decided to sit down and have a play with the various modes. From this I deduced for myself the following:

1) The Loewe does take a YUV input through the AV3 scart input, as previously confirmed by Gordon. I have connected my Toshiba SD900 by component using a three RCA to scart lead with the sync on green and it works perfectly (Thanks to Nic and Gordon for the help).

2) Without changing any settings at all, the Loewe de-interlaces an NTSC signal but not a PAL one.

I have got several people (including wife) to sit near the TV and look across the screen at almost a right angle so they can see "jerky lines" of 100hz PAL. As soon as I pop an NTSC disc into the DVD, all the comments were "Wow the jerkyness has disappeared. They are all static now" which leads me to believe this must be prog scan using an internal line doubler. I thought the de-interlacer with the Loewe was a myth, until I saw it with my own eyes :eek:.

3) The prog scan appears to work with S-video too, through AV1. I haven't tried composite yet and my DVD can't output RGB.

4) Although the picture is prog scan, I can't really tell if it shows a marked improvement over an interlaced picture. Unfortunately, I only currently can play one NTSC disc (Region 0 DVD Platinum) because the region free Toshiba isn't working correctly and needs to go back to the suppliers. I can't see any artefacts or such, but I suspect that DVD disc itself isn't showing off the player to the best of its abilities, as despite the sales guff on the back of the packaging it doesn't seem to show off a fantastic picture.

To follow this up, I need to do the following:

1) Contact Loewe and ask if the settings menu can be changed to allow 576p for prog scan PAL. Lowrider previously confirmed this is possible and imo he's definately correct about the NTSC, so fingers crossed for PAL too.

2) Find a DVD to that has almost the same picture transfer quality in Region1 release as Region 2 (and get my DVD player fixed). Then I can confirm if NTSC really does show a marked improvement over PAL. Does anyone have any suggestions of DVDs that share the same quality transfer on both sides of the atlantic?

I hope I haven't got the "un-jerkyness" of the scan lines mixed up with something else, but I really believe I am getting a prog scan picture. For info my Aconda is a 9281 Silver, Chassis Q2400, software 5.1 Multistandard, purchased in the UK.

2. brattle

brattle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Back to the top :).