That Next-Gen feeling....

AVF Jay

Banned
I remember the feeling I had when I first played Gears of War, I was in awe. I couldn't believe what I was seeing, the graphics were amazing, it made cover based gameplay a big deal, the co-op was smooth, and the online was a massive hit.

Gears of War really was the visual punch in the face that I was into the "next-gen".

So far we're over 6 months into the launch of the xbox one, and while I love Forza 5, and Ryse looks amazing, nothing really has given me that same feeling. (It's the same thing with the ps4- even killzone and infamous the supposed big graphic hitters haven't replicated the same feeling Gears of war did)

What game do you think will give you that "Next-gen feeling", or have you already had it, if so which game?

beasty54

Distinguished Member
Peggle 2 did it for me

addyb

Distinguished Member
Peggle 2 did it for me
Lol.

I really can't see anything giving me that wow factor this gen. I'm just not that easily impressed these days. Don't get me wrong there have been plenty of games I thought look really nice but nothing that's truly impressed me.

omiaho

Banned
These games will give the next gen feeling...
Halo Master Chief Collection
Halo 5

Destiny is like Halo but without the Halo skins, etc. Not to fund of Destiny. No split-screen.

Personally I think new games (multiplayer based) such as BF5, Hardline, Destiny should have split-screen/co-op.

Desmo

Distinguished Member
I don't think we're going to see those huge leaps anymore.....it's the law of diminishing returns.

Where I think this gen will shine through is with integration. We've already seen it with apps on phones being able to control games and enter other peoples games to help or hinder them.

Cha1ky

Distinguished Member
PC gamer thought ain't you Jay? Nothing going to blow you away coming from that really. If anything you're right to be feeling a little meh.

EDDS

I have to agree, I have not had that next gen feeling.

I doubt I will tbh, I remember even Kameo and the original Dead Rising gave me that with the sheer number of AI on screen at once, nothing had been done like that before. Also Oblivion, the environment in that game was like nothing else.

This gen so far everything has just been prettier which is fine but I've not had that wow factor yet.

Maybe GTA VI will do it, who knows.

Munkey Boy

Distinguished Member
Playing the Prague track on Forza 5 gave me that feeling. It is seriously beautiful.

But I think much of this comes from people's memories of previous generation shifts (we'll never ever have those leaps and bounds again) and their expectations that come from that. You're just always going to be disappointed if you expect that again.

For me, the current gen is about depth, complexity, convergence, convenience and interactivity. It's almost nothing to do with visuals. The sheer size of games now that can take 100+ hours to play, where you can have a second screen, you can play along with your friends as standard, have persistence online and save your best moments to watch again any time is just mind blowing if you think about where we were just twenty years ago.

Guns_LotsOfGuns

Moderator/Games Reviewer
It was GRAW for me last gen, when i first saw that i was amazed, going back and looking at it now it it doesn't look so great lol.

As far as this gen there is some good looking stuff in Forza but I don't really count racing games as they always look good, RYSE is pretty, and playing Tomb Raider again it really does look great. I agree with the point about diminishing returns um not sure will get such a leap again TBH, hopefully im proved wrong. SOme stuff at E3 certainly had potential The Order, Division etc

KirkSi

Distinguished Member
Next gen for me is 64 players in BF4, Drivatars and the convergence of single player with multiplayer that we'll get with Destiny. Massive graphical leaps are gone, it's about more subtle things like decent lighting and physics. Better AI, particle effects and destruction.

turk3y

having Stella ram me off the road using some psycotic cornering technique in the the Mini Cooper in Forza (first game owned and played) when I was playing single player was quite a moment, I did curse him out loud and then remembered it was just a digital representation (drivatar) of him and unlike other games where the CPU drives badly as it cannot corner like a human so has to cheat to keep lap times I suspect he does drive like a hoodlum in Forza if his BF4 driving is anything to go by ;)

Also to a lesser point but still impressive was the powerstar golf and the constant attachment to back end statistics and achievements so you could see you where playing against a huge repository of data being used to make the game more fun. I actually quite like the way it makes every shot a challenge and not just each hole or course.

Then BF4 and some "xbox record that" situations playing with folks from here and really there is no going back to the 360 now, which I suppose is that the next gen is all about.

For me this time its about services and integration rather than raw gpu performance which is probably a good thing being an Xbox owner lol.

jjgreenwood

I echo thoughts about Forza and Ryse. The beach landing in Ryse and the animation of the characters was a next gen moment for me.

I have to say that my first real next gen moment came about 4 years ago when I bought a PC with Nvidia 3d vision. Mafia 2, Fable 3, Batman and BF:BC2 blew my mind. I since sold the 3d setup for a higher res monitor and tbh regretted it ever since.

DJ KRIME

I think too many people think that next gen gaming is all about Graphics and how many Ps a game is running at, rather than what exactly can this new generation bring to the table that the outgoing one couldn't?
If you look back at the jump the original Xbox to 360, it was a massive leap with the 360 outperforming most PCs, as where this time both the X1 and PS4 are IMHO comparable to a mid/low end gaming PC. So whilst both new consoles will ofer better graphical fidelity over last gen it's not the massive leap some were envisaging.
For me next gen is about things like Drivertars in Forza, the remote compute used in Titanfall which I believe will improve dramatically over time, not making the X1 more powerful but more efficient in the tasks it needs to perform at a console hardware level.

stellamandude

Distinguished Member
having Stella ram me off the road using some psycotic cornering technique in the the Mini Cooper in Forza (first game owned and played) when I was playing single player was quite a moment, I did curse him out loud and then remembered it was just a digital representation (drivatar) of him and unlike other games where the CPU drives badly as it cannot corner like a human so has to cheat to keep lap times I suspect he does drive like a hoodlum in Forza if his BF4 driving is anything to go by ;)
Soorrrrie :p

Can't get to grips with the new BF4 controls for vehicles, I try from time to time but hate the way the movement is decided by which way the turret is facing :mad:

kav

Distinguished Member
Not so much a game, but saying the following words:

"Xbox, go to (game)"

or

"Xbox, record that"

feels like a cool next-gen thing.

Was playing Watch Dogs (on PC) the other day and had a great chase, and actually called out "Xbox, record that". Was gutted when I realised that wouldn't work, so to me that's something that next gen has introduced that I already feel should be standard.

Guns_LotsOfGuns

Moderator/Games Reviewer
Was playing Watch Dogs (on PC) the other day and had a great chase, and actually called out "Xbox, record that". Was gutted when I realised that wouldn't work, so to me that's something that next gen has introduced that I already feel should be standard.
Me the other day...

Xbox go to settings...Xbox go to settings...Xbox... Oh yeah this is 360 isn't it lol...

I Spiritus I

Can only echo what you say @kav . For me it's the above plus the OS overall

I think the first true Next Gen game experiance for me will be AC Unity or the Division.

KirkSi

Distinguished Member
Soorrrrie :p

Can't get to grips with the new BF4 controls for vehicles, I try from time to time but hate the way the movement is decided by which way the turret is facing :mad:
There is an option that sorts the movement related to turret thing out. Can't remember which it is but I found it a while ago. Now when I push forward it goes forward no matter which way my turret is facing :thumbsup:

If @turk3y doesn't like your drivatar just wait 'till he comes across mine :rotfl: @mklion123 still isn't talking to me after an encounter with it :p

bearman3784

Not so much a game, but saying the following words:

"Xbox, go to (game)"

or

"Xbox, record that"

feels like a cool next-gen thing.

Use the Nvidia Shadowplay hotkey to record, saves 0.014 calories compared to using your mouth muscles to speak :cool:

turk3y

@KirkSi to be fair Stella was the first but he sure was not the last, I have had more than my fair share of AVF run ins ;) I think it was made more brutal the way the Mini handles so you really do just throw it into the corner and it bites at the last min, I just happened to be between the start of the corner and the grip.

I hate to think what my drivatar has been up to as I really am not the best driver, although as I have so few cars I dont think it gets as much time to stretch its legs.

Is quite good fun tho as its actually quite hard to get the idea they are not you out your head so even tho its not you guys live it does make you want to try and win harder as they are not just regular CPU cars. good stuff.

KirkSi

Distinguished Member
@KirkSi to be fair Stella was the first but he sure was not the last, I have had more than my fair share of AVF run ins ;) I think it was made more brutal the way the Mini handles so you really do just throw it into the corner and it bites at the last min, I just happened to be between the start of the corner and the grip.

I hate to think what my drivatar has been up to as I really am not the best driver, although as I have so few cars I dont think it gets as much time to stretch its legs.

Is quite good fun tho as its actually quite hard to get the idea they are not you out your head so even tho its not you guys live it does make you want to try and win harder as they are not just regular CPU cars. good stuff.
I've actually been playing a bit of Forza 5 over the last couple of days (them adding the Nurburgring has tempted me back) and in the racing series I'm in it only gives you 2 to 3 laps to go from way down the field to first to third for the gold. To make up that many places in that few laps you can't observe the niceties of racing, you have to barge your way through or you're not going to make up the places. Unfortunately my drivatar reflects this :D

turk3y

how do you get it to download nurburgring, I went on but saw now download option and I do not think it was in my free play track list?

KirkSi

Distinguished Member
how do you get it to download nurburgring, I went on but saw now download option and I do not think it was in my free play track list?
Mine had automatically downloaded it and installed it in the background, now that's another next gen feature for you!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 25th November 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Sky agrees movie deal with Entertainment One
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Amazon Prime Video UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Lypertek renames TEVI wireless earphones to PurePlay Z3
  • By Andy Bassett