That horrible few hours...

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by Squiffy, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,655
    ...while you wait for the garage to call you back with the news.

Almost at the end of my journey today, behind someone doing 45 in a 60... Got to a dual carriageway stretch so put my foot down.

Immediate "Engine Fault - Workshop" warning, flashing glow plug light, no power (although did safely complete my overtake).

AA came out and got an "underboost" fault code. Just waiting for the Skoda garage to confirm if it is just a split pipe (as the AA guy thought he could see) or a blown turbo / intercooler.

If it does need a new turbo, can anyone recommend a company that can provide and fit in Kent? Or would it be advisable to leave it with the main dealer? It is a Skoda Octavia VRS with the PD170 engine.

It was just serviced last week too and the dealer commented on how well the car was running for 5.5 years and 120k miles!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  2. paulyoung666

paulyoung666
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,841
    No smoke or other dramas I take it , if so a burst hose is possible although I would have thought the AA would have spotted that easy enough , they did on my qashqai ...

3. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,655
    Well garage called.

Can't see any problems with the hose or the turbo. They've found a faulty valve on the inlet manifold, but they don't think that would have caused the problem.

They are looking further into it.

No smoke or other drama when the incident happened.

I'm not sure whether I'm relieved they didn't find a problem with the turbo, or concerned that it might be something worse!

4. ukdan

ukdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I can 99% guarantee that the variable vanes in the turbo got stuck and caused the underboost error.
    This is probably because its gunked up and needs a clean.
    I had a similar issue but was getting overboost errors on an Audi A4.

5. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,655
    Hmm. Garage can't find anything wrong other than the inlet manifold. Which they can't get parts for until Monday, and I need to drive 280 miles home with three kids tomorrow.

Going to pick the car up, give it a bit of a blast alone and then decide whether to drive it or ask the AA to recover us tomorrow.

6. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,655
    Don't think the car is safely drivable after taking it out, so going to get it recovered home by the AA tomorrow.

Just thought I should mention the excellent service from Derek Slack Skoda in Middlesborough. Had my car overnight and checked multiple things before I picked it up today. And charged me the grand total of zilch for the diagnosis work they did, even knowing that I'd be taking my car away to get repaired elsewhere.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  7. paulyoung666

paulyoung666
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,841
    thats the one just off the A66 isnt it ? , my mate has used them for years :smashin:

8. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,655
    Yep, that is the one.

Very good guys, if I lived up here I'd definitely be using them.

9. bighfishing

bighfishing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    That will be the one, real name Derek Slack Motors.

10. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,655
    Car fixed at my local dealers here in Kent. 195 quid in the end. It was the valve on the intake manifold the previous dealers advised. They also cleared out the intake manifold as a couple of the flaps were blocked?

Either way, gave it a blast on the way home and the car seemed much more responsive. Guess it must have been impeding performance for a while.

Still a very happy Skoda driver. :)

11. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,227
    I should smile. 120k miles and your first major problem. I'd be happy with that.:smashin:

12. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,655
    I'm just trying to work out what next.

Keep the car and continue to hope it stays fairly low cost to maintain?

Get an aftermarket warranty (although I'm dubious about these).

Trade it in for a cheap runabout. I no longer do the miles I used to, and just need something to get me to the station, take the kids out at weekends (usually we'd use my wifes people carrier for whole family outings), and the very very occasional long trip further afield.

I'm attracted to the idea of getting a cheap runaround, but new to benefit from the longer warranty. With the reduced insurance and maintenance costs, it wouldn't be too pricey.

Dealer has offered me £4k trade in. They have a 25% off deal on Skoda Fabia SE's, which looks attractive. But having friends recently go for Kia & Hyundai cars and being very happy, I'm quite attracted by their long warranties.

Oh decisions decisions. I do like my car, I just don't want to end up facing a repair bill that would be half the cost to change to a whole new car.

13. redaprilia

redaprilia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    The cynic would say you already have the cheap run around LOL But seriously £1500 run around cars soon end up turning into £3000 cars in repairs -- there is no such thing as durable long term cars any more which is why a lot of people have them on pcp or just rent / lease them for 2 years from new and get rid to pass the problems on to the 2nd owner .

14. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,655
    Well, did a bit of looking around over the weekend.

Some very good deals available right now.

Skoda Fabia SE 1.2 5 door - £9k with 3 years free servicing if bought on finance
    Seat Ibiza SE Toca 5 door - £10k

Those are the main two I looked at.

Sensible me thinks the Skoda will be enough, and will the cheapest to buy and run. But the Ibiza was nicer to sit in, nicer to look at and better equipped. And I loved it in Lima Green.

Also very interested in a Kia Rio as friends have them and are very happy, but I couldn't get anywhere near a salesman in the limited time I had this weekend.

Anyone got any recommendations for any of these cars or something similar?

Incidentally, the Skoda and Seat are both available with significant manufacturer discounts (about £3k of both of them). I would normally use the What Car target price to help fight a dealer down, but prices are already below that. Would there be much else left in the cars to get a discount on?

15. wack

wack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +831
    Says someone who I'm guessing has never driven a 1970s car

Cars are more reliable now than they've ever been, 200,000 miles on a petrol engine isn't uncommon, diesels can do double that if maintained well

I've run nothing but £3000-£4000 cars for the last 5 years, can't say I've really had anything go wrong with any of them

If I'd spent £250 a month on something new yes I'd have a new car but over 5 years I'd have spent £15,000 with nothing to show for it

, I ran a Subaru legacy for 2 years 55 plate, bought for £3200 sold for £3000, Renault megane 07 plate bought for £3700 sold for £2700 , just bought a 56 plate focus for £1850, needed a DPF that cost £400 which is why it was cheap, fixed that and it's been fine up to last week when the power steering started playing up

If it needs fixing it'll be £500 but even then that means I'll have less than £3000 in it which is around what it's worth

16. redaprilia

redaprilia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Man the 2 cars listed are going to feel very weedy and out of there depth out of town after your current car ! going from a 170bhp diesel to weedy petrol car with only 20 of the torque won't be easy !

17. redaprilia

redaprilia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    You don't seem to keep your cars long enough to run into any service issues LOL . I ran ( admittedly for some of the time as a 2nd car ) a Triumph Stag for 16 years and when it was in daily use it could go a whole week without something going wrong or braking ! Fantastic on a summers day through the country lanes but British engineering at its worst but that car was a 1977 ( one of the last built ) and it never had any rust issues at 20 years old when I sold it and it is still on the road now !

18. wack

wack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +831
    That's the key, buy cheap , run for 6-12 months sell and move on

Mind you I did get into trouble when my wife rang me from sainsburys because she couldn't remember what car she was driving

19. DOBLY

DOBLY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +658
    I say keep the Octavia VRS - you know it has been maintained and cared for - that has to be worth a thousand quid in itself.

20. Delvey

Delvey
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,863
    This is what I do. Bought a hyundai accent that was 5 years old, 30000 miles for £1000. Ran it for 5 years and only needed a new clutch at 70000 miles but that was my fault.
    Bought a 406 diesel estate for £500 with 12 months MOT. Spend around £300 since then on MOT and a new alternator but still probably sell for this much.

21. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,655
    Well... Have today ordered a Kio Rio 2 in white. Got tinted windows thrown in for free along with 3 years servicing and a years insurance for 99 quid. And 1750 over my trade in value, although the dealer discount is typically about 1400 on these at the moment.

So quite happy with that result, and hope to get it picked up as soon as the window tints are done.

I'm looking forward to a few years of trouble free motoring. :)

22. redaprilia

redaprilia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    What engine did you go for ?

23. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,655
    The 1.4 petrol. I don't do the miles to justify a diesel. On paper it has better MPG than my Octavia, and of course petrol is cheaper to buy than diesel.